Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Everyone has problems with the wife

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Everyone has problems with the wife

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everyone has problems with the wife

My wife doesn't mind the hobby, she's the one who actually got me back into it after listening to me talk about the old Cox Cessna I had as a kid. She went to Hobbytown and bought me a RTF trainer several years ago for Christmas. After that one I bought one ARF, since then it's been all kits, and she's bought me all of those with the exception of the first one, a 4*40. The one thing she doesn't quite understand is "Why do we have to buy an engine for each plane?" Apparently they should all be planes of the same size I can switch a single engine too and from depending on which plane I wanted to fly at the moment. Somehow I don't think a ST45 or an Aviastar 46 is going to fly that 84" ME109 i have plans for.... or the Anderson TA152. But even in the engine department she's been great, every plane has it's own power plant, from .40 size glows to 50cc Gassers. My mother-in-law even buys me gift certificates to my LHS for Christmas and Birthdays. When my hangar grew in number she banished me from the house. But that was ok too because her empty grandparents house is two doors down so now my planes have their own address (her idea as well).
Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No problems as long as there is some cash to turn loose with. When we got married I put her in charge of the money and it has worked out pretty well. If there is something I need I mention it to her, she will tell me if we have the money or not, if not she starts setting it aside and tells me when we have it to spend. After 33 years the system seems to work, I have always been able to do what I want, just not always when I want to.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

yep my wife of 28 years used to go to the lhs for me,buy me planes for presents,go to the field with me,then didn't want to go flying with me anymore,then *****ed if i asked her to go to dmv or the lhs for me and then she just disappeared one day and i havn't seen her in over a year, be careful when they don't gripe about your hobbies,they have something else to keep them happy,,, sorry to say it is still the same
Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: 3dd

yep my wife of 28 years used to go to the lhs for me,buy me planes for presents,go to the field with me,then didn't want to go flying with me anymore,then *****ed if i asked her to go to dmv or the lhs for me and then she just disappeared one day and i havn't seen her in over a year, be careful when they don't gripe about your hobbies,they have something else to keep them happy,,, sorry to say it is still the same
Man I am In trouble My wife has not said anything about my Hobby for 53 years. I'm back up to 15 planes.
Larry K
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

No probs here. My wife doesnt fuss about hobby stuff as long as we have the cash. She will even visit the hobby shops for me if she happens to be going that way.

11 years ago she bought me a CG Cub for Christmas. She actually went to the LHS and got it. I had no idea that she was getting me a kit. Anyway, I flew it for 4 years (300+ flights) and then just hung it in the garage. Two days ago I pulled it down from the rafters to start restoring it. New covering, electronics, etc....
So as we were talking about the restoration I mention to her that I might change the color scheme from yellow. She then said I could cover it with any thing I want as long as its Cub Yellow. eh. What can I say. She likes Cubs.

Cheers.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

My wife is like Cold Reboot's in one way. My wife and daughter were the ones that got me back into the hobby, but she still has those little comments about how much I spend on planes (time and money). She got to quit work so she would be home with my daughter when she gets off the bus; so why can't I spend a little money that gives me some stress relief from being the only bread winner now.

They listened to me talk about how I flew planes with one of the neighborhood kids 25 years ago and got me a Super Cub a couple years ago for fathers day and has just grown from there. Have to have a couple different spots in the basement to work on them. Working on the Rascal 110 now and thought that I would really get the talking to when I asked to buy it, but actually went well.

I guess that I should be thankful that I can enjoy this hobby and I haven't had to mow the yard since she quit. Overall; she's a good en!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33858.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1349604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46292.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1349605  
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: crustychief

ORIGINAL: 42etus

My wife's great. I pointed out that I was thinking of scratch building a twin engine plane, and that the engines were on sale, 50% off.
She said that since they were on sale I should buy four of them......................so I did.
Paul
Watch out for that.

Actually, my wife is great when it comes to my flying addiction. In years past we had a 30' cabin cruiser. What with upkeep, moorage, fuel, license etc it was expensive to have. We sold it a few years ago and now when I start the 'I'm thinking about another plane' talk, she'll say 'I don't care, get what ever you want. It'll be cheaper than that damn boat'.
Paul
Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Villa

I have no flying problems with my second wife.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 PM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: Villa

I have no flying problems with my second wife.

LOL,

That's my problem, i'm still on my first Wife. (26 yrs.)

Just wanting a 5th. Plane

Bob
Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
viperdada

some thread.... I have to chime in. after 15 years, the wife is great and the best match for me. She enjoys the planes and comes down to the field , but she likes when my two little man 8 and 6, go with me and gives her a break on the weekends. My boy LOVE planes, and got a G5 for x-mas, and have not stopped playing it, so on the box they go this spring. I get banned from the computer, cause I buy too much r/c plane stuff, hot rod parts, bike parts, sled parts and all kinds of crap. She told me that if I retired tomorrow, I would have loads to do, things to fix with out spending another dime. Damm I hate when she's right!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
CKLLOYD

my wife is great we moved about a year ago and after setting up the shop I could not find a set of plans a cessna T50 that I was going to build this winter.. this last weekend after going thruogh my shop looking for all my fishing gear witch included 49 reels and 55 rods and 6 tackle boxes she said from the back room guest what I found and with a big smile on her face puld out the tube with the plans of that plane and then said I think that we better go to the LHS and buy some wood to get you started and then said dont worry about the fishing gear all put it away while you get ready to go. she is a keeper and I am lucky to have her.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 PM
nachman4859
My Feedback: (3)

[8D]My Wonderful Wife (looking over my shoulder ) Has been wonderful thru my 29 years of buying Many Many Airplanes, Cars, Helis, All kinds of stuff... She has allowed me to hang a sig cobra Over the dining room table as an Ornament ,She has gone out With me to the flying field and Watched and listened to me... how ...this and that works.. When She really doesent have any idea what im talking about... She was always happy,, cause I was happy ...What A woman, I love her and wouldnt trade her for anything.... I guess Im just lucky to have her.. Blessed in Texas
Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
tkline

My wife does not care at all for my planes,she wanted them out of our extra bedroom and since i move houses i found a little 1 bedroom house that i brought home and made it into my shop and before long she had it full of her stuff so now she is wandering when i will get all my plane stuff out of her shop. I just can't win for loosing.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texaskypilot,
If you didn't put that (one woman) excerpt in your post, I swear I would have called you keith ledger, now who's the brokeback mountain man now? I will never see that flick, and I never will, but I almost spit the cheez-it's out when I was reading that post?!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Crash Campbell

[/quote]
Actually, my wife is great when it comes to my flying addiction. In years past we had a 30' cabin cruiser. What with upkeep, moorage, fuel, license etc it was expensive to have. We sold it a few years ago and now when I start the 'I'm thinking about another plane' talk, she'll say 'I don't care, get what ever you want. It'll be cheaper than that damn boat'.
Paul
[/quote]

Hi Paul,

Similar story. Gave up fishing boats and motor sport before resuming a lapsed interest in R/C about nine years ago. My lovely wife never complains about what I spend on the hobby but often says don't even think about another f*(&%^$ rally car or hole in the ocean in which you pour money.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

hello everyone. brand new to the site, and to plane building. When I saw this string, i had to comment!! just got my first one for christmas. building a spitfire. got the kit, and now i have to get all the guts. well, my wife saw me pricing everything out, and FREAKED OUT!!! i told her i was going to do this as inexpensively as possible, since im going to crash it anyway,(or so ive been told), not good enough. ive loved rc planes since i saw my father fly, and crash one when i was 5. never had the patience, or money to do one till now,(im 40). i just hope that she understands i really want to do this. she has with just about everything else ive put her through! any thoughts on how to "help" her understan? thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Pull Up Now!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem here with my wife. The LDS is right on the way to the LHS. (local department store) [:-]
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Insanemoondoggie

My wife only said something once, Iloaded up the bike and took off for the weekend and left her at home. She doesn't seem to mind my RC hobby so much now.
Your going to have a lot of time and money in your Spitty . Build a trainer you can use your electronics and enginein and learn to fly on it first, it well save you a lot of heart break.
Welcome to RCU , lots of good info here, good place to start..

ORIGINAL: tlojak38

hello everyone. brand new to the site, and to plane building. When I saw this string, i had to comment!! just got my first one for christmas. building a spitfire. got the kit, and now i have to get all the guts. well, my wife saw me pricing everything out, and FREAKED OUT!!! i told her i was going to do this as inexpensively as possible, since im going to crash it anyway,(or so ive been told), not good enough. ive loved rc planes since i saw my father fly, and crash one when i was 5. never had the patience, or money to do one till now,(im 40). i just hope that she understands i really want to do this. she has with just about everything else ive put her through! any thoughts on how to "help" her understan? thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 AM
LAWNDART65

I lost my 1/4 scale spitfire and my wife want me to build another one! If you have problems get a new wife. John
Old 01-05-2010, 12:44 AM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

no wife nor kids= win win for me!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 AM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: tlojak38

hello everyone. brand new to the site, and to plane building. When I saw this string, i had to comment!! just got my first one for christmas. building a spitfire. got the kit, and now i have to get all the guts. well, my wife saw me pricing everything out, and FREAKED OUT!!! i told her i was going to do this as inexpensively as possible, since im going to crash it anyway,(or so ive been told), not good enough. ive loved rc planes since i saw my father fly, and crash one when i was 5. never had the patience, or money to do one till now,(im 40). i just hope that she understands i really want to do this. she has with just about everything else ive put her through! any thoughts on how to ''help'' her understan? thanks
Well unless you get a more suitable plane to learn how to fly with she won't be mad very long. I'd say 8 or 10 seconds will finish the Spitfire and the I told you so will begin. Please get a trainer and some help or your wife is going to be significantly less understanding then she is now.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 AM
lez1troubles

No problems with the wife, Happily devorsed
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM
clpahodges

No wife problems here. She is very happy with my model aviation addiction and I have only been addicted for 49 years.

Bill Hodges
Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: tkline

since i move houses i found a little 1 bedroom house that i brought home and made it into my shop and before long she had it full of her stuff
5 years ago I bought a HUGE house so my wife would have a place to put all of her crap. Within a year, she not only still had all of her crap boxed up in the garage, but she had filled the house till it was bursting at the seams with new crap.

Then one day I'm sitting in ManLand (The entire basement is MY territory) and she starts looking around prospectively. I said, "What are you looking at?" She said, "I was thinking... If we took out this wall, and made this one a half-wall, then this whole area will be open so we have a big area for when we have a lot of guests."

I said, "Come with me." I took her by the arm and led her upstairs. When we got to the top of the stairs, she stepped into the hallway and I promptly closed the door between us and went back down.

I think she got the hint.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

My wife loves the hobby, she buys me planes and helis, she loves to go out to the field and watch us fly, she comes out to all our fun flys!

I have a genuine keeper!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.