Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Small butane torches

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Small butane torches

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 AM
ppkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small butane torches

I have to solder a fitting on a 1" copper pipe and want to get one of those small butane torches thinking they will later come in handy in this hobby (soldering cabanes on biplanes, etc.) But I thought I'd ask the question before I do. Do you guys use regular size torches or one of these mini butane ones? If the small ones, does anyone have a brand in mind? The one I saw at my local Home Depot seemed really cheaply made.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 AM
p100d

Default RE: Small butane torches

I have a large one that has an adjustable flame. I use it on everything from plumbing to large soldering. I have had several small butane torches and threw them away. The best one that I have seen is the one Snap-On makes. One thing to remember with butane is there is a difference in the gas. If you buy cheap gas you will have problems with starting and keeping it ignited. They also make those torches that have ends that you can use for regular soldering too. I don't know if butane will get a copper pipe hot enough, and even enough for soldering, but I don't see why not. Copper gets hot quick. Hope this helps a little. My 2 cents, worth a penny
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I use both a Micro Torch and Pencil Torch purchased from Harbor Freight. They are both Butane fueled. The larger Butane Torch for plumbing work seems to large for my use.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...d=pencil+torch
Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
mclina

I use this one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCGZ0&P=7

It has a soldering tip that I use for both electrical and structural soldering, and I use the open flame for heat-shrinking tubing. It's been very handy.

It would probably be fine for soldering small copper pipe fittings, but the flame is probably not big enough to sweat a fitting bigger than 1/2".

I get my butane refills from the cigar shop at the mall, but they also sell them at the local pharmacy.

Good luck
Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Dzlstunter

I also got the Harbor Freight $10 torch and it works great. My son picked a nice one up at a cooking supply store. Dzl
Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use them both but the little hand held tourch gets the most use. The one at Harbor Freight is as good as any. There is one that has a tip that screws on and it turns into a true soldering iron. If you can find one they are even better then just the tourch. I have borrowed them at the field a couple of times.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
mclina

I would definitely by the Harbor model. $10 vs. $26 for the Hobbico, I wish I had seen that earlier.

While you are at Harbor Freight, pick up one of these 'Helping Hands Magnifiers'. I got one without the light for like $3. It makes it so much easier to solder Deans plugs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65779

I have a HF store about 30 minutes from my house, in Worcester, and I try to get there 1-2 times a year and load up on small tools and clamps. It's always worth the drive.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
ppkk

Thanks all, I'll pick one up. Let's see how well one of these little things works on my job at hand, which is a 1" copper fitting.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I have both a Bernzomatic MAPP torch (can also use propane) and a small butane torch like this one

Both work great.. I think the MAPP gas torch puts out more heat.

Both kick butt at starting the BBQ & fireplace.. I will never buy another bic lighter again.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

turbotorch hand torches and mapp gas are preferred by plumbers.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The small butane torches, such as the one sold at Radio Shack work well for small jobs, like soldering landing gear and, with the tip, some electrical work. It certainly will not solder a 1 inch copper pipe. A simple Benzomatic or similar propane torch will do the 1 inch pipe. I would get both. You will need them both eventually.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my mini torch at Home Depot. Takes regular butane for cigarette lighters. I use it for all sorts of soldering and heating jobs. I also have a larger propane torch appropriate for plumbing type soldering but I've never used it anywhere on an RC project. I seem to remember a combo pack somewhere that had a larger propane torch and a small butane mini torch. It may have been at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace or one of those places.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 AM
fiferguy82

I would say stick with propane or MAPP gas for sweating copper plumbing fixtures. The butane won't provide a big enough flame to do 1" effectively, and you'll probably end up with a joint that leaks if you aren't VERY careful.

Several years ago, I found a one hose propane torch similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

But instead of oxy-acetylene, it uses propane or MAPP gas. I haven't found one since, but it's ideal. Ican get a very small flame for silver soldering small parts, or put a larger tip on it and use it for bigger jobs.

Just my 2¢.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 AM
fiferguy82

I should also point out that the one in the link requires both a fuel and oxygen lines. The one Ifound only requires the fuel line, similar to a normal Home Depot style propane torches. Likewise, there's only a single adjustment knob.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll want the standard size torch with MAPP gas to solder 1". I worked for a plumber for a couple of years and soldered lots of pipe, all the way up to 3". Propane will get the job done, but it's so slow your whole pipe will be hot for a foot or more both ways when you're done.