Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting back into hobby - Best online suppliers?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting back into hobby - Best online suppliers?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Wallrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into hobby - Best online suppliers?

Back in the day, Tower was always my goto for all things that my local RC shop didn't carry. Having been out of the hobby for several years, and in the meantime moving to a town with zero RC shops, I'm finding that tower's selection seems to have suffered. So what's everyone's favorite online shops for general RC purchases? I mostly fly nitro planes but also have a couple nitro cars.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Getting back into hobby - Best online suppliers?

Tower is still my #1.

Horizon, Advantage, Chief I also deal with and they are excellent.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Lately I've been using My Atomic Hobbies at myatomic.com. They ship for free any order $25 or more, and have prices comparable to Tower. They have a lot of car stuff, too. I use Tower when I'm making a bigger purchase to use my super saver discounts.

A lot of it depends on what you want/need. I used CentralHobbies.com for glow powered pattern stuff, HobbyCity.com for cheap stuff and lipo batteries.

Also some depends on what brand you want. Tower doesn't have JR/Spektrum and only limited Airtronics. Hobbypeople.net is Airtronics distributor, and Horizon Hobby is JR distributor.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I have a new student I still go through the Tower catalog with them so for brand new pilots tower is still OK. Nothing at all like they used to be but just OK. I don't like there hobbico electronics so I go to Hanger nine or Horizon for things like chargers or meters. Servo City is a good place for finding deals on servos and RXs. I also use Central Hobbies for different items. It all depends on what you are looking for and the size and type of planes you are building. I don't feel that tower is the best but for beginners it's pretty hard to beat. If you do an on line search you will find a lot of good places. Look for adds in magazines then see what the places have to offer. I'm blessed with hobby shops close by so now days my mail orders have gone down to almost nothing. My last mail order I found the servos and RXs I needed on sale at Servo City, I ordered engine bearings from bearings.com and some engine parts for my YS engines from YS service or Central. I don't fly ARFs so I don't order them at all but some of my old students have been getting them from Nitroplanes.com or Horizon and tower.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing to be especially careful of... The best price is rarely the best place to buy!

That's why I like to stick to the big boys (I didn't mention Central Hobby in my first post - they are another good one)
Old 02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Myatomic.com has free shipping on $25+ orders, and they seem to have as good or better prices than Tower & Horizon.

Ultimatehobbies.com has even lower prices, typically, and they have free shipping on $150+ orders.

I've had excellent results ordering from both places.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 PM
shootnstarz

I too buy from Tower if they have what I need, not just because of the price but I've had excellent service, light speed shipping and the super saver club discounts. I bought my latest radio from them along with 2 flight packs. The two flight pack receivers, 168s, both had problems but the receiver that came with the radio, a 148, worked great and still does.
I asked Tower to replace the two 168s with 148s and I would happily pay the cost difference, $40 each. Tower sent me the two new 148's at no additional charge. This along with their customer service will have my business as long as they keep it up.

I'm sure most of the aforementioned business' customer service is excellent also, I know I've had good service with Horizon. But as long as Tower's in business they'll get first dibs on my limited hobby money.

Also don't forget your local hobby shop. I try to do as much business as I can with them and most prices aren't all that much more than mail order. Plus you get face to face help and advice. They help support our club and events with generous donations so try to throw a few bucks their way also.

Rick
Old 02-08-2010, 03:32 PM
mclina

I agree with most of the recommendations above. In addition, I think that Hobby People has some of the best sales, especially for Magnum engines. They usually have a great deal going on at least one engine, and they also have some good deals on Airtronics radios.

www.hobbypeople.net

I have had great service from Tower, Horizon, Advantage, and Hobby People. And I am a big fan of Hobby City for LiPos, motors, and small servos, but I wouldn't expect great customer service if there were ever a problem.

Good luck.

Edit:

One more guy that I like to recommend is Tom's RC. I think he is a small vendor, but he has great pricing, especially if you are buying several items. He gives quantity discounts on most items, and had the best prices I could find (by far) on a recent purchase of four Hitec 625MG's.

http://shop.tomsrc.com/

Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
carrellh

Everything listed at http://www.bestrc.com is distributed by the Great Planes/Hobbico/Tower conglomerate
Horizon Hobby http://www.horizonhobby.com is the distributor for JR, Saito, Hangar 9, Seagull, and MANY others.
These two appear to be the biggest players.
Global http://www.globalhobby.com distributes quite a few brands and their retail arm is http://www.hobbypeople.net
Ace http://www.acehobby.com is the distributor for Ace & Thunder Tiger. http://www.thundertiger4u.com carries a good selection of these items.

The other places listed (Advantage, MyAtomic, Ultimate, etc) buy from the big distributors. Sometimes they have better pricing than the "big guys" and sometimes they do not. One advantage to some of these sellers is that you can place one order and get things from nearly all of the distributors.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know most local hobby stores probably HATE it when people ask...

But why not try politely asking if they can match the price..or come close? There is always the question of state taxes and the shipping to figure..but why not at least give the shop a chance at your money.

If they don't or won't work with you I guess the other route is obvious.. I mainly kit build and build abandoned projects I buy used. I do try to keep the local shop in the mix ...I would sure hate to lose them.

Anyhow maybe it doesn't interest you to work it that way..but I know it goes on around here. Some shops are willing to make a few dollars instead of none...

heaven knows they are fighting to make ends meet like everyone else.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Wallrat

Thanks for all the speedy replies. It looks like I've got a lot of options to choose from for my upcoming projects. I'm a big fan of supporting local business, and try very hard to utilize a local shop before I turn to the net, even if it means I pay slightly more. However there's literally only 1 shop within a 2 hour drive of my house, and its Heli's only. I still will be using them for everything I can.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
carrellh

foodstick,
I do not know if your reply was directed to me or to the thread in general.
I buy some things locally and I buy some things online. In the DFW "metro area" few have some good hobby shops. We also have some that are not so good.
Unfortunately the good shops are 30 minutes to an hour away so I can't really just "run by" to see what they have.
If I need/want something specific I call to see if they have it. If the answer is "No, but we can order it," what they actually mean is, "If you want it, just come in and pay in full and it will be here in a few days." This is not an assumption on my part. I have asked. I know some people have hobby shops that will place orders for them based on a phone call. I'm not a frequent enough or big enough customer to get that deal. In that situation I just order it myself. I absolutely will not make two trips for one item.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:19 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No I was just making an open statement...Not aimed at anyone...

I know there is a huge difference in what a local shop has these days..