Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Needle seeting for Evolution 100NX

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Needle seeting for Evolution 100NX

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
danielhellin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needle seeting for Evolution 100NX

Hello,

I have problems to tunning my Evolution 100NX. I pulled out the limiters but have not sure of the initial settings to start my carburation. Have anyone the seetings for this engine?

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Needle seeting for Evolution 100NX

www.hobbyzone.com/documents/EvolutionEnginesManual.pdf

Daniel - this is the link to the basic Evolution NX engine manual.

Ihave a 52 NX. I have not removed the limiters. In my case the limiter collar on the high speed needle valve is used to hold the ratchet in place. When I removed the collar the high speed needle would adjust itself from 2 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn. Dangeriously too lean - results in dead stick.

HTH,

Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM
danielhellin

Thanks SeamusG for your answer.

Daniel
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 PM
SeamusG

BTW Daniel - I fly at 5500 feet elevation. Usually we must operate out engines very lean because our air has 25% less oxygen than sea level.

Overall I am pretty happy that even with the factory "limiters" in place the engine performs pretty well. But of course, I haven't told you that the original carburetor had to be replaced because it caused 23 straight "dead stick" flights. If you are having problems tuning the engine and keeping it running smoothly, maybe - just maybe, you should contact the Evolution service organization in Europe.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:00 PM
danielhellin

Thanks again.

Yes, may I would have to tkake contact with them. But I am not sure that carburetoris faulty. Really I didn't have dead sticks, only no progressive acceleration and no high rev. It seem just a question of fine settings.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 PM
SeamusG

Does this problem exist on the start-up bench as well as in flight?

If it is not a new engine has it performed well in the past? If the engine is new the manual states "Every Evolution Engine has been test run and adjusted at the factory and is ready to fly with no adjustments or break-in required."

Some basic questions ...

Can you confirm that the the carburetor is fully open at maximum servo arm position? If no, adjust the mechanical throttle linkage to get more carburetor arm movement with the same servo movement by using a servo arm hole that is farther from the center screw or use a hole in the carburetor arm that is closer to the center.

If you have full throttle movement, try a smaller prop. According to the US distributor for Evolution engines the prop range for the 1.00 NX is 13x6-16x4 with an APC 14x6 being used for performance benchmarks. I have experienced engines that hit their maximum RPM at mid throttle on the radio even though the carburetor would open even wider - it just couldn't turn the big prop. I had used a prop with too much pitch and/or too long. When I replaced the prop with a shorter prop with less pitch the engine would pull up to a nice high RPM. This can be tested on the start up bench.

Does the engine respond to the "pinch test"? When on the start up bench with the throttle wide open quickly pinch the fuel line that is between the tank and the high speed needle. If the engine speeds up the engine is too rich - turn the needle adjustment in 1/8 turn. If the engine stumbles and maybe dies the engine is too lean - back out the needle adjustment 1/8 turn.

Hope that you're having better weather than we are - too much snow and cold.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Daniel,
Another thing to watch out for is this engine does not run well upside down or siedways. I know this because mind died on take off, and I lost a Cessna 182 that was built from a kit. Good luck figuring it out.
Alan
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 AM
danielhellin

SeamusG,

The engine was purchased 2 years ago, but mounted just one month ago in a Ultrastick 60. After 10 flights, I decided to remove the limiters because it had not sufficient margin to make a good carburetion.

I have read that many users have had problems with reliability, but not my case. The problem was progressive and high-rpm performance, in ground and air. But now the problem is that when I removed the limiter low needle, the needle was closed and I do not know what the factory set to start carburetor.

I use a 14x6 prop and the barrel is fully opened when throttle is at max. the pinch test have beed done many times but the result was not satisfactory, may be the low needle has to be tunned before.

Weather? Better I will send a picture tonight...

bgfireman,

the engine is mounted 90 degree, may be that's the reason...