Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glow Fuel

Old 03-10-2010, 04:23 PM
highrollin85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Fuel

Just curious what the difference between 10% and 15% glow fuels are and what are the advantages/disadvantages.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
ChuckW

Default RE: Glow Fuel

One contains 10% nitromethane and the other contains 15%. Advantages and disadvantages really depend on the engine. Some will idle a little better and get a few more RPM with higher nitromethane content. With other engines their may be little or no advantage to the higher nitro content. Price is another consideration, nitromethane isn't cheap so as the content goes up, so does the price of the fuel.

I personally run 15% in the majority of my engines. It seems to work well in all of them and the price is still reasonable compared to fuels with even more nitro like 20% and 30%.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
highrollin85

Alright 15% it is then, its that time of year to order fuel so I just thought I would throw it out there and see what others thought! Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

The only real difference I've found is that the 15% will give you a little better idle in smaller engines (.40 or less). In our hot Texas summers, the larger engines seem to run a little hotter on 15%. I've not seen any performance differences. I prefer 10% for .46 or larger.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:01 PM
ES CONTROL

Remember hot, med. , and cold glow plugs makes a difference too.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Augie11

I use 15% up here at 5500 feet. Helps with idle and power. I used to use 10% at sea level but not up here. Adding nitro is like adding oxygen to your fuel. Don't forget to order something with an oil content that matches your engines.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pmw

The only real difference I've found is that the 15% will give you a little better idle in smaller engines (.40 or less). In our hot Texas summers, the larger engines seem to run a little hotter on 15%. I've not seen any performance differences. I prefer 10% for .46 or larger.
Shouldn't. 15% is about the norm here in Nevada, it's just easy to come by so you see it a lot. I run it in every glow engine I have from 1/2A to 1.40. Most of the people I fly with have used Power Master with the 18% blended oil. Some of the different fuels have a lower and different oil content, that may lend itself to your engines running hot???? Just a though.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Gray beard, I hadn't thought of that. You may be right. Everyone here uses Omega or Cool Power because that's what the closest hobby shop carries. May have to experiment a little this summer. Good thought.

Paul
Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: pmw

Gray beard, I hadn't thought of that. You may be right. Everyone here uses Omega or Cool Power because that's what the closest hobby shop carries. May have to experiment a little this summer. Good thought.

Paul
When I moved here the LHS I first went to didn't have Power Master in stock so I tried one of those? in 20/20 or what they labled as four stroke fuel? Been a while so I can't remember what fuel it was. As soon as I changed over my YS engines didn't want to idle or run correctly and they tended to run hot?? The only thing I could think of was the oil type or oil content. As soon as I found a supplier of Power Master all went back to normal. I ended up just mixing the new fuel with the PM and used it all up without any problems. None of my engines liked the PM 20/20 four stroke fuel either so it lead me to think about the type of oil blends. It could have been something else but I will be going over to another brand of fuel real soon now that we can't get Power Master any longer. When you mentioned over heating it just struck a cord.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 AM
jetmech05

Augie 11 has it right...nitro is an oxidizer for the methanol.....the methanol is our fuel.....the rest is oil.....a higher nitro content can lead to a better idle and a hotter running engine with a little increase in power......
Some makers of engines recommend only a 10% nitro content....I've heard Magnum engines run better with no nitro.....This just what I've heard as I have never ran any Magnums.
I like 15% Cool Power...haven't had any dead stick issues, hardly ever need to tune.....run it both my 2 and 4 strokers
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good points above,oil does'nt cool engines thos.Tuning and nitro content rule over that.It's hard to get an engine running anywhere near right on a hot day.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
This is not true!
Magnum engines run as well on 10-15% nitro as most other engines do.
5-10% nitro is just fine! 15% is overkill!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

All good points above,oil does'nt cool engines thos.Tuning and nitro content rule over that.It's hard to get an engine running anywhere near right on a hot day.
????????????????????????
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

it jsut depends on the engine, some of them dont like nitro while some of them dont mind. some dont care either way
idleing isnt totally based on how much nitro you have for example my gms.47 will idle at 1800-2000 rpm all day long on 0% nitro, some of my other two strokes wont get anywhere that low even with a ton of nitro.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find that 10% is all that's needed in 2-strokes, but 15% is better for 4-strokes.

Since I fly mostly 4-strokes, all I buy is 15% and I run it in both, but if I only had 2-strokes, I would use 10%