Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aurora or JR 9503

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aurora or JR 9503

Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
j.groj
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aurora or JR 9503

Here is my question. I am new to rc flying but have been in rc cars for years. The first radio I bought for flying was a spektrum DX7. I installed my 7 channel receiver that came with my radio in a .40 size P-51. I ended up having 3 different crashes with the plane in which the first one I assumed was caused by me, the second two were me loosing total control of the plane in it going into a left turn aleron role from which I could not recover. The second crash actually started at a very high altitude so I had plenty of time to try and recover and could not. The third crash happened on take off and there was little time to do anything but it destroyed the plane. At that point I blamed this problem on my right aleron servo which was a cheap jr that came in my rtf P-51. A few weeks later I had started up my .40 size edge 560 and as I was getting ready to pick it up and set it on the ground the motor reved for a second and when I looked at the plane my right aleron was all the way down in lock position and the radio would not make the plane do anything. I shut down the engine and turned off the plane and turned it back on but the plane did the same thing again and would not respond to the radio. I tried to re bind several times but the reciever would not act right at all. that evening I took that reciever out and put in another one that I had in the plane and that made everything come back to life after binding. The plane and radio have been on their best behavior since. The problem is that now I am afraid to put my 7 channel receiver in my new hanger 9 .60 P-51. I have a whole lot of time putting this plane together and love this plane like you cant imagine and dont want a problemmatic receiver to crash it. So Ihave been reading and was really leaning towards the aurora, but they are out of stock for now which got me thinking about a jr. The one thing Ireally like about the aurora is the telemetry, that is something I would like to have on all my planes. Iknow I can keep my spektrum receiver with the jr radio, but Iam afraid of them. So I will be buying a new radio and all new receivers for sure. I just want some tips on which one to get.

Joe
Old 03-11-2010, 12:54 AM
The Ghost

Default RE: Aurora or JR 9503

Does not matter what receiver or how much money you spend on one, it can be damaged in crashes, as you stated above it has stopped working correctly after 3 crashes. So it is not the transmitter that is the problem just buy another receiver and junk the damaged one. Why you need one with telemetry is still a mystery to me, because if you are looking at a screen that the telemetry is on who is flying the plane?

Cheers
Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 AM
jetmech05

Didn't the DX 7 have a recall for certain date codes on transmitters? Something to do with the DX 7 aileron channels....
With 2.4 to the best of my knowledge you are locked into buying the same brand receivers as is the transmitter....ie jr/spectrum only works with jr/spectrum, futaba with futaba.....With this in mind you need to look at the price and availability of Hitech receivers......
Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM
snuts

I am J.R.,love them!
Also open minded, once your confidence is in question, then the Aurora may be the route for you.
If you stay with J.R./ Spectrum, I suggest a longer patch cord for the second receiver (remote). The provided 6" one that comes with the AR7000 I feal is short. Making it hard to benifit from a second receiver location. I have found better results (data logger) by always mounting one set of antennas vertical, even strapped to the fuse side, behind the wing if you can. This will help remove it from being shadowed behind the engine, and batteries on final. As for the main receiver I avoid laying the antennas fore/aft, same reason. Looking straight down the antenna end on take-off, and landing.
Hope this helpd,
-Snuts-
Old 03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: The Ghost
Why you need one with telemetry is still a mystery to me, because if you are looking at a screen that the telemetry is on who is flying the plane?

Cheers
I don't have an Aurora yet, I am pretty sure that I will get one. You can program the radio to give you a warning beep if the rx voltage drops below a point, alos there are times when you might be able to saftly glance at the tx. Telemetry can also give you other info about the plane when you land.

Jon
Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
The Ghost

You can program the radio to give you a warning beep if the rx voltage drops below a point
The JR DSX9 that I use allready has that and a lot more. The Spectrum DS7 also has a low voltage warning as well as a timer.

Telemetry can also give you other info about the plane when you land.
Like what inputs you gave the receiver as there is no feed back from the servo to tell you what it did, I have speed controlers that measure every thing for the brusheless motors that I use and can be downloaded after the flight and you can hear weather or not if the glow motors are working properly or not.

The problem was that he damaged a RECEIVER in crashes and wants a new radio because the receiver that has been damaged does not work.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
j.groj
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the tips from those that replied. I guess Mr. Ghost is a bit to high strung to have read my entire comment/question. Idid not have any real doubts about the spektrum stuff till the second receiver did the same thing. The second reciever was a 5 channel though. The five channel had never been crashed or even bumped for that matter since I removed it from the package and failed while setting on the table. The first receiver has been in some crashes but I feel like even the first one was caused by a glitch. I too think that telemitry can be used during flight, if you loose site of your plane for a second do you crash? I am simply looking for some educated opinions, since Ihave not owned either radio..

Joe
Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

You can program the radio to give you a warning beep if the rx voltage drops below a point
The JR DSX9 that I use allready has that and a lot more. The Spectrum DS7 also has a low voltage warning as well as a timer.

Telemetry can also give you other info about the plane when you land.
Like what inputs you gave the receiver as there is no feed back from the servo to tell you what it did, I have speed controlers that measure every thing for the brusheless motors that I use and can be downloaded after the flight and you can hear weather or not if the glow motors are working properly or not.

The problem was that he damaged a RECEIVER in crashes and wants a new radio because the receiver that has been damaged does not work.

Cheers
I did not know that the JR DSX9 could tell you if the receiver battery is low.

Some imputs that I have heard that they are planning are live temp readings, and gps info. I don't have anything currently that can tell me any of that information.

To each of their own.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

The Aurora does have the telemetry. The receivers can also be powered by a separate battery (up to 35 volts) that does NOT also power the servos. The receivers are priced reasonably, too.
6 channel ~ $42, 7 channel ~ $58 and the 9 channel ~ $90. Couple that with the initial price (~$350) and it's a no brainer.