Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Old kit pricing, on line website?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Old kit pricing, on line website?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Old kit pricing, on line website?

Anyone know the website that actually lists discontinued kits and their values?

Lists models my manufacturer. Great site but I can't find it.

Charles

Old 03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old kit pricing, on line website?

Here is the site that I use as the "Bible" on kits http://webpages.charter.net/skylane42/price.html
Old 03-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Avaiojet

Thank you for that.

Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while. I see many "Low" estimates with some kits.

Anyone else notice errors?

Skynight pattern kit for example. I've seen them sell in the mid 100's.

Others?

Charles
Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It may have been a while sense the last update but over all the prices seem to be about right. Like most things, kits are only worth what someone is will to pay for them. I was getting my kits at auctions and would never go as high as the low bids I saw on most of those kits. Then again, I'm a builder and not a collector. While I was going down the list all I could think was how lucky I was growing up when these kits were still sitting on the shelves in my local hobby shops. I was surprised at how many great kits there were that I forgot about.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:28 PM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

You really want to have "sticker shock" go to fleabay and type in unbuilt airplane kits and hold on to your wallet. I have a few but mostly have been building these past years.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13678.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1398144  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: TooLow

You really want to have ''sticker shock'' go to fleabay and type in unbuilt airplane kits and hold on to your wallet. I have a few but mostly have been building these past years.
If you have one in stock I'm still needing templates for the CG Extra!!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Avaiojet

Gray Beard,

We must be about the same age, I too purchased the "old timer" kits I've built, and some I still have, from hobby shops.

Sterling Stearman, is one I'm still working on. Many changes though.

I'm selling my Stafford Twin Commanche. I can't afford to take a beating on it.

Charles
Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Gray Beard,

We must be about the same age, I too purchased the ''old timer'' kits I've built, and some I still have, from hobby shops.

Sterling Stearman, is one I'm still working on. Many changes though.

I'm selling my Stafford Twin Commanche. I can't afford to take a beating on it.

Charles
If you drift over to the ebay site you really will see there are a lot of collectors out there. When I was still in Calif. and belonged to some good clubs there would be builders with kits they would put up at auction so other builders would have a chance to get there kits and build them. At that time I had several nice kits but like a Dumb Mule I didn't think about making up templates so I could share with others. Now there are a few of them I would like to build another for myself. If you know how much you will take for your kit then ebay seems to be the way to go. We also have a place here on RCU to post it. The site Toolow posted is one of the better sites I have seen for the going kit values.
Yes, I still remember going to the hardware store to buy my first plane, the FireBaby. Then going back there to buy the new parts like a 15 cent wing or a 25 cent fuse as parts were needed, The first ARF!!! That site just showed how lucky we were. Hard to get a kid to build anything today except a web site. I have tried to teach kit building but one kit and they were right back to there ARFs.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Avaiojet

Gray,

Thing is, today's modeler believes he's missing nothing by not having a background in building.

They even refer to "assembling" an ARF as building a kit. Go figure.

3D flying? You won't believe this. I actually spoke with a modeler, at my Club field, who belives full size aerobatic airplanes fly like that.

Have things changed! And then some.

Charles
Old 03-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Gray Beard

I see that a lot. I do live close to an almost real hobby shop but he has pretty much gone over to ARFs too. Stocking kits is no longer an option for him. What he can get these days just sits on a shelf collecting dust. There are also a lot more pilots flying today there there used to be so I don't have a problem with the ARFs, as long as people are having fun. As a kid I quit building for a while when COX/TD started selling the plastic control line planes, they had a great selection and put on shows at Disney Land. Free Flights got me right back into building though then when I was older a friend and I started building control lines again. As long as I can buy wood and plans I'm OK with it. I do get a laugh when the other guys come over when I have a new plane and ask me who makes it!!! Good luck selling your kit.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 PM
carrellh

3D flying? You won't believe this. I actually spoke with a modeler, at my Club field, who belives full size aerobatic airplanes fly like that.
Some of them do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9M8oAAfyUQ
Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Some of them do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9M8oAAfyUQ
Not quite 100% 3-D but they are getting closer all the time and as the video is showing, a lot of the 3-D stunts are done with full scale!!! I was going to mention to Charles about getting out to some air shows and watching what some of these stunt pilots are doing these days. Like Carrs video shows, they can do a lot of 3-D. The longest tail slide I have ever seen was done in a Pitts and the pilot was talking to the crowd during the complete show!! Full smoke and all. Other then just a few things they can do a bunch of 3-D so the kids are right!! I was out at the NASCAR races at the Vegas track a couple weeks ago and the Red Bull Extra was putting on a show doing things I wouldn't risk one of my RC planes doing!! Some great shows!! Try to catch the Red bull racing series on TV, that's another eye opener!!!