Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Solartex

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solartex

I started covering a plane today using white Solartex, because I didn't want to paint the plane. After covering one piece, the balsa isn't completely hidden, ie the white Solartex has some transparency. Would painting the airframe with white paint before covering work to hide the balsa? Would latex work, solvent based paints smell to much?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:22 AM
p100d

Default RE: Solartex

Yes
Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One way, or another, Solartex needs to be painted. It may be fuel/gas proof, but the fiish needs to be sealed to prevent it from picking up dirt.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One way, or another, Solartex needs to be painted. It may be fuel/gas proof, but the fiish needs to be sealed to prevent it from picking up dirt.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Tom,

I had planned on sealing it whether it was painted or not, I'm just trying to avoid painting the entire plane, but don't want the wood to show through.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

If you are planning to paint the structure, then iron the Solartex over that, you might want to try a test strip. I know that when i have tried patching painted Solartex, the iron melts the paint and results in a mess. I have never had success ironing over anything painted.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am thinking that if you need to paint, you would want to paint the Solartex and not the plane. When applying the covering over the paint, I would think you could have all sorts of problems trying to iron on the covering over paint. Solartex is fuel proof and the reason that it needs to be painted or clear coated is that dirt will get into the weave if you don't paint or clear coat and it is really difficult if not impossible to clean it. It will take latex paint real well, however the latex will need a clear coat to fuel proof it. Good Luck, Dave