Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aviation Fuel

Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 AM
flyido

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aviation Fuel

Where can I buy Aviation fuel?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:10 AM
huck1199

Default RE: Aviation Fuel

Airport
Old 03-25-2010, 07:52 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have to agree. The local airport for private aircraft have gas stations on them for refueling. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM
ktreadway

Just a thought, but why do you need Aviation fuel?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Flying freak

Give your local airport a call. Your going to need to talk to an FBO (fixed based operator) and he can guide you. When you do go to the airport bring what ever fuel jug you wish you have fuel put in. Make sure the fuel jug has at least a 1 and a half inch opening, nozzles used for fueling are larger then those of your normal gas station. The other thing to remember is precision its not easy to fill a small jug with inch and a quarter nozzles at 10-15 psi requires time, you may want to tip the person serving you. Why do you need this fuel?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ktreadway

Just a thought, but why do you need Aviation fuel?
Some of the guys at my field buy it because of the ethanol. I don't do gas engines but I guess some carb seals/parts in some brands don't do ethanol very well.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boat gas or thats what they call it in Minnesota , is non-oxygenated and 92 % octane . I used it in my motorcycles andsmall 2 strokeengines. The biggest plus for using non-oxygenated fuel , IMHO is it does not evaporate as fast as oxygenated . So if you have an engine set for a few months, the fuel doesn't evaporate and leave the film or additives thatall gas manufactures add totheir fuel to make it their own ..
Living in Minnesota , there are times my stuff sets for 6 months ,before I started using non-oxygenated fuel, I had to drain all the stuff that was going to set awhile or the fuel would evaporate and leave a greenish film behind. These small carbs have very small passages and areas the fuel well set and using regular pump gas, it doesn't take long for it gum up a carb.
I do motorcycle repair and most my work is cleaning carbs, most my clientèle has switched to non-oxygenated gas , good for them ,bad for me lol Idon't have to clean their carbs every year. I have had a couple come back , but after spending $250.00 to $300.00 for a second time , they switch.
FAI is non-oxygenated also ,but I believe it has a much higher octane rating, sry I just can not remember for sure 101. I think , but someone here well know for sure. Not sure what your engines compression raito is , but if it's high , it might not like a higher octane .. But if you want to try the Boat Gas , just type in non-oxgenated gas or check with your local Streetrod Clubs, most have a list of stations that carry it.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 AM
jetmech05

You can also ask a large operator, or a large maintenance operator for his left over fuel samples at your airport......you run the risk of getting water and such in your fuel,,,but if the samples were taken correctly you sump fuel tanks until you get a good sample...keep that sample until the next flight......

Or go to the fuel farm where they take daily samples.....again through the FBO
Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Some gas stations around here advertise 'ethanol free' gasoline.

The local AVgas around here is high octane, LOW lead but not UN-leaded. Don't know if that matters to you.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Flying freak

Second thought, are you looking for Jet A /Jet A1 to run in a turbine? in any case no matter what you do its illegal I worked.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:03 AM
jetmech05

Why is it illegal.....Jet A/A-1 is not as dangerious as gasoline...just high grade kerosene...

I would think it would be illegal if you didn't have an approved container though
Old 03-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Airport, I used to get my drumbs filled when I was still racing sand dragsters and they quit using lead. In small engines it's just a lot simpler to go to your small engine repair shop and buy the new alcohol safe carb kit. They cost a couple of bucks and take about two minutes to install. Think of all the time and money your friends would save not having to go to the airport to get there gas. Not all airports will sell to people using cans, I had 15 and 55 gallon drumbs.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The current 100 low lead blue for what its worth is only a lower lead content than than the old 100/130 Av Gas green and still has very high lead content even a little higher than than 80/85 red which is harder to find now.

Be aware many FBO's who would sell av gas dispensed into small containers to drive in customers will not after 9/11. Best to call first.

John
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

Why is it illegal.....Jet A/A-1 is not as dangerious as gasoline...just high grade kerosene...

I would think it would be illegal if you didn't have an approved container though

When you buy normal gas your paying 'road taxe'. You do not pay these taxes when buying aviation fuel. Its a tax thing. FBO's cant legally sell it to you if they believe it will end up in a road vehicle.

Steven
Old 03-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After having lots of Walbro carb problems using the alcohol laced gasoline, I have been running Colman camp stove fuel for the past two years. Works as well as gasoline along with less problems with odour and no more carb problems. Costs a bit more but still cheaper by far than glow fuel.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

After having lots of Walbro carb problems using the alcohol laced gasoline, I have been running Colman camp stove fuel for the past two years. Works as well as gasoline along with less problems with odour and no more carb problems. Costs a bit more but still cheaper by far than glow fuel.
White gas as I recall is only 67 octane?? Some of my engines call for 92, they only get 87 but they don't seem to notice. For the couple of bucks for the new alcohol carb kits there isn't a lot of need to be burning anything but pump gas. Been using the new kits for some time now and no carb problems. Some people don't know that they strated making the new kits.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM
ktreadway

I have been using regular gas in my gas engines from 50cc up to 100cc and have not had a problem with ethenol. I have contacted Desert Aircraft about the use of Avgas and was told if you do so it will void the warranty. All of your weedeaters and other two strokes run just fine on pump gas. If you were to set the engine on the shelf with gas in it for a extended period of time it would probably dry out the gaskets, hoses, and so forth. but if the engine is used on a normal basis I personally see no benefit in paying the extra money for AvGas, or taking a chance on one of my engines or the warranty