Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultracote Trim Shrinking

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracote Trim Shrinking

Old 03-27-2010, 05:08 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultracote Trim Shrinking

I just noticed that when Iadd a piece of Ultracote trim over Ultracote base that has been already been shrunk the new trim piece does not shrink in a similar manner. As a result the base has a nice high gloss finish (as a result of shrinking) while the trim piece remains a bit dull with the telltale "pre-shrinking"dimples.

Have any of you Ultracote zealots figured out a method that will result in both the base and trim having that nice high gloss finish?

Anticipating a suggestion - I am not about to hit this covering job with a heat gun as the trim will very likely shrivel up and peal on the edges. The covering in use is true red which is partially transparent and pretty thin - makes for easy stretch-n-shrink around the tips but really curls up when a heat gun gets NEARan edge (been there and done that).
Old 03-27-2010, 07:37 PM
jay2000dakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultracote Trim Shrinking

I used my covering iron like a heat gun, I hold it over the surface and the ultracote will shrink or in your case gloss up and this will take some time but it has worked for me. By the way I leave the gun at the same temperature as when i was sticking down the covering.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to use anything but the lowest heat, bubbles will appear. I use a woodpecker or a pin to poke a bunch of small holes in the underlying covering. This way the air bubbles will vent thru the bottom and not show up.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bubble are not an issue. I always use the lowest possible heat setting whenever overlapping two pieces of Ultracote. However, low heat does not bring out the that beautiful shine. There is a threshold heat that will change both the texture and shine of the film. Easy to do on the base covering. My problem is that I haven't found the key to bringing out that shine from the film that is used to cover the base.