Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Building First Kit Airplane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Building First Kit Airplane

Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 PM
spitfire66

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building First Kit Airplane

I am considering building my first kit. It will either be a Top Flite Giant Corsair or Mustang. I am leaning toward the Corsair but I am afraid of the cost of materials just to build the thing. I might be able to find some people at my flying field to borrow building equipment, but I am not sure what. Can you recommend what you guys use to build such a large kit. I was told to buy a door and glue some 1/4 inch cork board to it that way I can t-pin the wood in place while building over the plans. I thought that was a good idea, and again something I haven't thought of. What kind of costs of building materials would you estimate? I have a dremel and simple shop tools, but nothing hobby specific. Appreciate suggestions. Shannon
Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
sensei

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Building First Kit Airplane

The building board with cork is a great way to go, and you can go a long ways with just the few basic tools if you are willing to take your time.

Bob
Old 04-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Crash Campbell

Hi,

Provided you are an experienced war bird pilot neither model is difficult to fly or land.
The wing of the Corsair is much more difficult to build compared to that of the Mustang for a first time builder. If you are able to have an experienced builder help you neither should present a problem.
Try Paul's site below for a vast amount of information to help with any build.
For building I use an old steel desk with a sheet of Gyprock/Sheetrock to hold the pins. Don't forget to cover the plans with clear plastic.

http://airfieldmodels.com/

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 AM
cls8995

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im on my first kit build also . its costly to start building kits.. compared to arfs that u can assemble in few nights on the kitchen table

out of everything

most important thing is to decide how much space u need to build it.. Then double the area that it will take ... i built a great table for 50 usd some 2x4s and mdf board would go with ply since its not a straight surface compared to 3.4 inc mdf

also id go to a discount tool store or dollar store and find clamps and equip.. i went cheap with a few tools hobby knife and so on ,, ended up throwin them out and spending money on good equip..

but u can find clamps and stuff cheap ... wally world is also a good place so far. OH and the best thing to do is check the site on a swap meet in your area.. I went to my first one saved loads of cash on building supplys.. When i got home i checked online for prices figured out i saved almost 50 percent... def worth the drive to one mine was 1.5 hours away but worth every penny in gas and time ..

hope this helps
Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spitfire, since you already have a Dremel, and aside from razor blades and common tools, one of the best tools to have is a razor saw, like this one (that comes with 3 blades)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLJ20&P=7

Also, have a look at my article on Kit Building. It will give you lots of insite as to what to expect on your first try:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1196]Kit Building 101[/link]
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I have a TF .60 Corsair. and it's not an easy build , the wing is the hardest IMHO . with retracks and flaps , there is a lot of work and things get really busy with all the hardware ,air line ,etc
You'll need a good cradle as the fuse builds with the top half flat on the building board, then you build the fuse bottom and a good cradle helps a lot , Dremel tool , lot of blades and differnt types of sanding bars and lots and lots of patience .
Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read Mike's article to get an idea. Kits don't require a lot of tools, for the most part a good flat building board is a must. Mine I have had for over 15 years and it's just soft pine lamanated together with braces on the bottom to keep it flat. Most of the money comes from things like good landing gear and covering. Glue and epoxy are cheap. The wing on the F4U can be a bit hard to get correct but the rest of the build is pretty normal. Hardware or controls I make up myself so it too is cheap, just more work. Good choice of kit manufacture!!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 AM
ChuckW

I'm sure you have a Harbor Freight Tools or someplace similar there in KC. They have all sorts of clamps, hobby knife/saw sets and other items that are useful for kit building. Sometimes it isn't the greatest stuff but it works well enough and is dirt cheap.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM
spitfire66

Thank you all for the ideas and your response. The time, patience, and room to build are not really a problem right now so I that is good. I will look into getting some hobby tools as mentioned. Thanks again for your replies. Shannon
Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 AM
aerofly0610

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I'm sure you have a Harbor Freight Tools or someplace similar there in KC. They have all sorts of clamps, hobby knife/saw sets and other items that are useful for kit building. Sometimes it isn't the greatest stuff but it works well enough and is dirt cheap.
Dont buy blades from Harbor freight. Im all for getting cheap tools there, but their chinease made razor blades are junk. They dull real quick and tear balsa and covering. IMHO get a pack from towerhobbies or local hardware store.

To spitfire66 welcome to the building part of the hobby, I hope you find it enjoyable. Take a look at the TF contender. Easier build than the warbirds but is an underwing and will be a good intro to warbird like flight.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: aerofly0610

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Dont buy blades from Harbor freight. Im all for getting cheap tools there, but their chinease made razor blades are junk. They dull real quick and tear balsa and covering. IMHO get a pack from towerhobbies or local hardware store.

To spitfire66 welcome to the building part of the hobby, I hope you find it enjoyable. Take a look at the TF contender. Easier build than the warbirds but is an underwing and will be a good intro to warbird like flight.

I've never tried the blades there. I generally buy them in boxes of 100 at the hardware store. Still inexpensive and they work very well.