Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

PowerMaster no more

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

PowerMaster no more

Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 AM
chewy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerMaster no more

You guys that have been using PowerMaster 20/20 in your YS engines. What fuel are you going to use now that PowerMaster is no longer making fuel? Just curious. I need to make a switch and want to pick a quality fuel. Thanks, Matt.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:54 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: PowerMaster no more

Try any 20 to 30% Heli Fuel
Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I was using Wildcat 20/20, which was supposed to be engineered for YS engines using fully synthetic oil. It has worked great for my in 2 stroke engines, however I believe the lubrication in this fuel led to several problems with my engine and ultimately in me selling off my YS. I did not know what the cause of my issues were until after I sold the engine - sticky check valves and diaphragm which caused the engine to run lean on many occasions.

I would go with Cool Power.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
ChuckW

Cool Power works outstanding in every engine I have, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, YS, OS, you name it.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:14 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

I'll run some Byron 20/20 Synthetic but may eventually have to run Sig 20/20. Wish I could get some Red Max though.............
Old 04-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Omega 15% or Cool Power 15%, None of my glow engines have ever had a steady diet of anything more then 15% nitro. I have always run the PM 15% with 18% blended oil, the make of the engine doesn't mater but all I have are OS-YS and Saito, they all drink the same thing, even the YS 1.40. The Omega is a blended oil but I have to see what % of oil is in the different fuels, I still have some PM but in the next week or two I will be changing over, I have maybe two or three days worth of fuel before I'm completely out.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Where did you hear that Power Master is not making fuel anymore?. First Iv'e heard of it.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM
chewy

The hobbyshop I frequent is owned by Curtis Youngblood. They sell PowerMaster. When I was in there Wednesday they said I better stock up. The PowerMaster he had on the shelf was the last he would have. I heard a rumor a few months back but never heard anymore until Wednesday. The original owner of PowerMaster in Elgin retired and sold it to his daughter a few years back. Now she doesn't want to mess with fuel anymore. Matt
Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 AM
carrellh

Ritch's Brew is in Houston and they have a 20/20 in their fuel list.
http://www.ritchsbrew.com
I've used their 15% "Pylon" fuel (15% nitro, 20% synthetic oil) in my OS, ASP, Magnum engines and it runs the same as every other brand.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
summerwind

i always used PM fuel and am sad to see it's demise.
i'm on the last 4 gals of the 20/20, and am going to the CP 30%heli when they are burned. the 30% is more expensive, but a test run blew my mind as the YS did unlimited vertical at less throttle, and had a much broader needle adjustability. i'm actually tempted to use the 4 gallons of PM 20/20 for weed killer, and skip right over to the 30% i have waiting, but i believe in waste not, want not

i had bought 12 gallons of the 15% for my Jett engines last year, and bought 4 more recently at an inflated price. this is a bummer that they are gone, but it's time to move on.

here is another good source that doesn't charge for shipping or hazmat,

http://www.frcm.org/index.php?option...pper&Itemid=27
Old 04-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Gray Beard

It's been over a mounth now but right after one of Hobby Peoples big sales some of the guys went in for stuff and there was no PM at all on the shelfs?? That's when we got the word. Problem with the word has been the different stories we have gotten about the why of it and the if. Why it happened and if they are going to start up again. Just too many rumors to sift the facts yet.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:56 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

It's been over a mounth now but right after one of Hobby Peoples big sales some of the guys went in for stuff and there was no PM at all on the shelfs?? That's when we got the word. Problem with the word has been the different stories we have gotten about the why of it and the if. Why it happened and if they are going to start up again. Just too many rumors to sift the facts yet.
that and the fact that many of us over the past 3 months have called and left messages on their answering machin and none of us have gotten a return call.

the story is, the mother signed the business over to the daughter, and the very next week Mom could not get into the building as the daughter changed the locks.

this was cited from an email from Mom.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

that and the fact that many of us over the past 3 months have called and left messages on their answering machin and none of us have gotten a return call.

the story is, the mother signed the business over to the daughter, and the very next week Mom could not get into the building as the daughter changed the locks.

this was cited from an email from Mom.
I saw that one too, also heard something about the problem of them having to use cans { a Calif. company} and something about the EPA? A few others too but at this point who cares, we have to change to a new fuel so it's a good thing for Cool Power and Omeag. There are other brands but these two are what my LHS carry and have in stock. All the fuels I have used are very good, I just got the best deal {cost} with PM. I haven't been in a Hobby People store yet so I don't know what they are going to stock?? Guess maybe on there next sale we will find out.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:41 PM
summerwind

i agree, it is time to change.
Cool Power and Omega have never given me trouble in the past either..........although i keep seeing Cool Power referred to as Cruel Power because of rust, i personally have never experienced that................then again i shoot oil in my engines at the end of the flying day.

the way it is, if Powermaster was to stock fuel up for the users right now, they'd have a good chance of making it again with the modelers..............much beyond June, and i'd say it's over even if they did start producing.
they could have at least let us know that they inteneded to shut down.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: summerwind

i agree, it is time to change.
Cool Power and Omega have never given me trouble in the past either..........although i keep seeing Cool Power referred to as Cruel Power because of rust, i personally have never experienced that................then again i shoot oil in my engines at the end of the flying day.

the way it is, if Powermaster was to stock fuel up for the users right now, they'd have a good chance of making it again with the modelers..............much beyond June, and i'd say it's over even if they did start producing.
they could have at least let us know that they inteneded to shut down.
They sure could have said something. There was something odd the last sale at Hobby People though. They had the on sale fuel stacked on one shelf and it had red caps on the cans but when one of the guys I was with picked up a can off the shelf with the white lids we were told that fuel wasn't on sale??? Being in Fresburg you aren't going to see any real rust problems with or without after run oil, there isn't all that much humidity so all you need to do is run out your engine at the end of the day, the oil film left behind is enough, same thing here in NV, it's the guys in the mid west and east coast that need to be a bit more careful. Our flying season is all year long, they store there engines for very long periods of time so rust for them can be a problem.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

I have always used either CoolPower 30% helimix or Wildcat 30% helimix in my four strokes. I have never used any powermaster fuel at all.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:38 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of stories but here is a bit more...

Powermaster was founded by Don Nix 24 years ago in LA. He moved the company to his home state of Texas in 1994 because of the terribly unfavorable business climate in California when you are working with "hazardous materials". If anybody follows the news, they know that California is broke and Texas is still paying their bills. In 1998 Don decided to retire and sell the business to the women that was his bookkeeper/office manager and her husband. They ran it for 10 years, but sold it two years ago to their daughter who had been working for them for a few years at that point. I have nothing on how or why the daughter drove the business into the ground.