Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What is the deal with Futaba 3305 servos?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is the deal with Futaba 3305 servos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:47 PM
zac137

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the deal with Futaba 3305 servos?

I recently purchased five Futaba 3305 servos and have had trouble with 3 of them. Two of them move very slow and the third has locked up complely. I am using them in two different airplanes, both A/C I am using 1100mha batteries. Has anybody else expierenced these problems? I am quite upset about this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Zach

Old 04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is the deal with Futaba 3305 servos?

I've had good luck with them. It sounds like you might have gotten some defects. If they aren't that old and still under warranty, call Hobby Services: http://www.hobbyservices.com/

They've always been great when it comes to taking care of their products.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

They are hit or miss with airplanes. We stopped using them in our airplanes after a few failures. Hobby Services will tell you to use them in airplanes at your own risk.

See the chart below from Futaba's website and note the column for 3305 does NOT include airplanes.

I am not bashing, these are just the facts. Two things I should clarify, I fly Futaba and I deal with Hobby Services and they are both Awesome!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81331.gif
Views:	20
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1411255  
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 PM
zac137

Now that I know they aren't supposed to be used in airplanes I am even more upset. The guy at Hobby Town USA said they were great for airplane use. The chart shows they are meant for EP cars only.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 PM
ChuckW

So if they can;t be used in airplanes, then why does GP recommend them for some of their planes? http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1412-manual.pdf

The chart is pretty clear, just curious.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:45 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

So if they can;t be used in airplanes, then why does GP recommend them for some of their planes? http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1412-manual.pdf

The chart is pretty clear, just curious.
i saw that too.
they're definately a good deal and strong for the price.
i did read on FG that the gears are not hard and develop slop after being used for a while in an airplane.
i bought one for throttle on a big scale model and then i stumbled onto the threads saying they get sloppy after use.
it sold for almost what i paid for it, but it was an RC Car guy who bought it.

Futaba should be more specific with there servo applications.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 PM
carrellh

The guy at Hobby Town USA said they were great for airplane use. The chart shows they are meant for EP cars only.
At the Hobbytown near my office there is one "airplane guy" and he's only there one or two days a week. The rest of the employees are very nice, and try to help, but they are in hobbies other than RC flying.

Unfortunately many shops, especially those who cater to many hobbies, do not have employees with RC airplane experience.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used them for 2.5 flying seasons in a turbine powered jet on everything except the retract valve. I on each rudder, i on each elevator half, 1 on each flap, 1 on each aileron, and one on nose gear steering. No issues whatsoever. That would be at least 150 flights or so.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM
zac137

I am thinking about trying to exchange  them at Hobby Town for Futaba 3010's. Hopefully they will let me do that. In the past they have been very bad about stuff like that.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have 12 or so of them in planes. I have had one strip the gears after many flights, and one that would not center. Again after many many flights. These are not the most precise servos, but are great for the price. If you have a bang around plane that needs strong cheap servos. I would recommend them. If you have a 40% Aeroworks, buy something a little better. One drawback, the gear set cost like $5 less than a new servo. So if you do strip one, save it for parts and buy another.

david