Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

My next radio - what do you recommend?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

My next radio - what do you recommend?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
mickvk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My next radio - what do you recommend?

I have a Spektrum DX7 and I'm surprised that I need more channels. I thought flaps and ailerons would be one each, but to program them as flaperons it requires all four surfaces to be on independent channels. So I looked at the radio market and it's a little confusing. Can you check these perceptions that I have and give me your suggestion on what my next radio should be?
    [*]Spektrum's menus don't seem very intuitive. Maybe it's because I'm new at this. Does anybody else do it better?[*]I've heard that Futaba is the leader in things like signal reliability and low-receiver-voltage handling.[*]Do cheap add on modules like the Corona work well? These $100+ receivers are hard to stock up on.[*]Do cheap radio systems like the Xtreme Power Systems from Graupner work well?[*]I probably need 12 channels... I can see flaperons, gear, and a parachute drop... That's nine already.[/list]Thanks for any recommendations you can give me. -Mick
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: My next radio - what do you recommend?

If you have separate flaps and ailerons, use separate flaps and ailerons. Do NOT use flapperons. Flapperons seem like the best of both worlds, but in reality, they are the worst of both worlds.

Inboard (Where the flaps are) ailerons do little if anything, and outboard (Where the ailerons work best) Flaps can be dangerous and lead to a tip stall.

Bottom line: Use ailerons for ailerons and flaps for flaps - They will BOTH work better and you won't need a new radio.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Wolflord

I have a Futaba 7Cap and I feel I will not need a new radio for awhile. I use flaps when I need flaps, never seen a need for flapperons.

I have enough channels for my corsair,
1. Throttle, 2. Aileron, 3. Rudder, 4. Elevator, 5. Flaps, 6. Gear, and 7.Spare

JMO
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

You can't go wrong with the New Aurora 9 channel I have just bought one and it will replacing my JR 9303 2.4.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
mickvk

Thanks guys. Another neat thing that I was going to try with independent aileron channels is programming differential ailerons to combat adverse yaw. It just seemed like fun to try. I can certainly get by with seven channels though. So I may not need a big channel upgrade, but I would like to get a second radio for other reasons - I'm having trouble buying $100+ receivers. Anybody have any luck with the inexpensive module/receiver sets for the Futaba radio... ?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You might consider the Airtronics radios. 6 ch recievers are $50, 8 ch are $100. The SD10 radio would meet your needs and then some.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Airtronics SD-10G is amazing. Many people have converted from JR to Airtronics because of this radio which says a lot. Can't beat the value, features, and support. Check it out at Hobbypeople.net.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

mickvk

I have been using the Assan 2.4 gig module and reveivers for almost 2 years now, in a Futaba 9Z transmitter. I have over 20 receivers. I use them in all my electric models, both indoor and park flyer. I have never had any problems. Binding is fast and instant. They list the range at 800meters, and I have flown as far as I can see and never had a range problem. I probably have several hundred flights on my receivers and don't hesitate to recommend the system.

I have only used the mini series and only in electrics, so I cannot comment on the larger receivers and using them for glow or gas powered aircraft. But the way the reveivers I have perform, I wouldn't expect any issues. One note. We were flying in one gym that would not allow the Spektrums to bind. You had to take the airplane outside to get a connection. The Assan bound instantly. I have flown with 14 other 2.4 gig radios at the same time and still had no issues.
hope this helped.
steve
Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

You can't go wrong with the New Aurora 9 channel I have just bought one and it will replacing my JR 9303 2.4.

I haven't seen anything about the Aurora yet but I really like one of my old students 9303s, sets up almost as well as a Futaba. What is it about the Aurora you like so much better?? What RXs will it use?? An inquiring mind wants to know!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

I haven't seen anything about the Aurora yet but I really like one of my old students 9303s, sets up almost as well as a Futaba. What is it about the Aurora you like so much better?? What RXs will it use?? An inquiring mind wants to know!!!
Its Touch Screen and its cheeper than the Jr, it hops across a band of Freqs, every channel is assignable to any switch or any other channel.
Long thread here take a look.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_85..._1/key_/tm.htm#
If you purchase before May you get 2 more reciever for 39.99.
Programs so much eaiser than my 9303
Old 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

I just recieved my Aurora 9, 3 weeks ago and I Love it!!! easiest radio to program I have ever seen and unlimited configurations. I am a fan of almost all brands but this A-9 is amazing! I have it on 3 airplanes so far and I just cant say enough good things about it.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Stick 40

I have the JR X9303 and really like it, but I would like more model memory. Believe it or not 30 is not enough. A couple of the other guys in my club have got them also. I would agree it is not that easy to program, I don’t have a problem as I have had programmable radios before and work with computers a lot.

I also have been also been married for 33 years , so I must like a challenge!

sticks
Old 04-09-2010, 05:08 PM
mickvk

ORIGINAL: Stick 40

I also have been also been married for 33 years , so I must like a challenge!

sticks
Heh heh, don't worry, none of us have truly mastered the operation of Wife 2.0

Old 04-09-2010, 06:32 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: mickvk
I'm having trouble buying $100+ receivers.
Why are you spending that much? AR7000's are around $80, if you need seven channels. Everything else goes down in price from there.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM
mickvk

ORIGINAL: MikeL

ORIGINAL: mickvk
I'm having trouble buying $100+ receivers.
Why are you spending that much? AR7000's are around $80, if you need seven channels. Everything else goes down in price from there.
Well that would be a better deal than I can find... MSRP is 99. Ebay is "buy it now" for 99 plus shipping. So do tell.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:12 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Paying MSRP for these things is nuts.  www.bigskyhobby.com or www.toddsmodels.com.  They each sell for the actual street price.  Paying MSRP on almost anything is like paying full sticker price for a car.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
mickvk

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Paying MSRP for these things is nuts. www.bigskyhobby.com or www.toddsmodels.com. They each sell for the actual street price. Paying MSRP on almost anything is like paying full sticker price for a car.
Yep, killer pricing, better than I could find. Thanks for the links.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Stick 40

Ok, I hope this goes well. I don't want to throw this thread a curve, but here goes.

Everyone talks about how easy Radio X is to program , but is easy better. I have the JR X9303 and its not the easiest to program, but does it have more power and will do more?

I have to believe I can do more with my X 9303 than the easy to program radio's.

This should go along with "what radio to get next".

sticks