Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Armoral in fuel?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Armoral in fuel?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Armoral in fuel?

Here is a link to the Tetra Bubbless tanks from Central Hobbies:

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/fueltnk2.html

Oh and zac no the muffler pressure line does not go into the fuel it goes outside the bladder.

John
Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 259 Likes on 208 Posts

Y'all are trying to kill an ant hill with a bazooka. (though with fire ants that seems to be what it takes down here )

If you're getting bubbles like that on a sport plane like that you're either getting excessive vibration, or sucking air.

Pull the tank, replace the clunk line, put a hunk of fuel line between the carb line and the pressure line and stick it in a bucket of water and give it a gentle squeeze and look for bubbles. Replace the fuel line to the carb, and balance the prop.

If that does't fix it for 39 cents in new fuel lines, or maybe a cracked tank or bad stopper, I'll be rather shocked.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Armoral has silicone oil not silicon a metal. Silicone will not coat the glow plug, it will simply burn off as most oils will.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 AM
TJDNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Armoral in my fuel for several years now and had no ill effects. I started using it when I was flying Control Line and learned about it on the Control Line Forums StukaStunt and StuntHanger.com. You only need a few drops not a cap full for a gallon. You will know its working when you shake the bottle of fuel and see no foam.

I would also think that this would eliminate one source of foam. If bubbles in your planes fuel system persist then it would indicate other problems in the system.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM
tony0707

HI WHAT engine are you having this issue withOS is having this problem with the early FX series of engines ( foaming between the nv and the carb happened only at mid range to me-91 FX)those with a one piece back plate and needle valve -that are a one piece castingcontact OS for replacement parts if that applies they issued new replacement parts for this problem-the problem is caused by vibration or heat transfere from the back plate to the nv REGARDS TONY
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
zac137

I am running a 46AX. I have had the engine on other models with no problems before. This engine probably has about 13 gallons run through it so far. I haven't put the Armoral in any fuel yet, I think I will exhaust other options first.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: zac137

I am running a 46AX. I have had the engine on other models with no problems before. This engine probably has about 13 gallons run through it so far. I haven't put the Armoral in any fuel yet, I think I will exhaust other options first.
Good idea.

Tony is describing an air leak outside the tank, at the needle valve assembly. You said earlier that you had replaced lines inside the tank, but did you examine your remote needle valve? A tiny leak there can cause the problem you're seeing, and OS has had the problem before.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 04-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Jim Dross

I have mixed my own Glow Fuel for over 45 years. I mix 5 gallons at a time during which I add 5 Drops of Armoral per gallon. I have never had an issue with Glo-Plugs ever. Since I do not use store bought fuel I can only assume that they have added their own anti-foam agent and with you adding even more you jusy might have issues with Glo-Plug life. My sport fuel mixture also has 5% Castor Oil along with 15% Synthetic Oil and I have never had a bearing or corrosion problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
zac137

I have not checked the needle valve assembly yet I will do that and see what happens.

thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 03:26 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: landeck

Here is what I use to eliminate bubbles in the fuel line:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXF25&P=ML

Bruce
Holy smokes....do you really use a 16$ clunk? Why not just wrap a regular clunk is stainless steel mesh? You can get a whole sheet of this stuff (100 mesh or 60 mesh) for a couple bucks at Mc Master Carr and you will have enough supply for 100 clunks. Do everyone's clunks in the club. BTW, it works as a filter too when you use a third line as fill line to the tank

MattK
Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 AM
zac137

Well I think the problem has been fixed! I had previously balanced the prop that I had on the engine, but I tried a different brand(APC) and it took care of the problem.
Thanks for the info it may come in handy in the future.

Zach
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: MTK

Here is what I use to eliminate bubbles in the fuel line:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXF25&P=ML

Bruce
Holy smokes....do you really use a 16$ clunk? Why not just wrap a regular clunk is stainless steel mesh? You can get a whole sheet of this stuff (100 mesh or 60 mesh) for a couple bucks at Mc Master Carr and you will have enough supply for 100 clunks. Do everyone's clunks in the club. BTW, it works as a filter too when you use a third line as fill line to the tank

MattK
Yes I do! I use it because it works on those planes were I am unable to wrap the tank in foam. Dubro makes a similar clunk but it tends to clog with use causing lean engine runs while the OS one does not. I still use a fuel line filter when using the OS clunk. On my ARF's I also replace the nylon clevises with Sullivan's Gold-N-Clevises, foam wheels with Sullivan's SkyLite Wheels, and plastic spinners with Dave Brown aluminum spinners. I have not had an equipment failure in the last 15 years. The last equipment failure was a nylon clevis that broke in 1995 on a Sig Kougar. I have been building and flying models since 1953 and have learned the hard way not to skimp on equipment.

Bruce
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
MTK

Yes I do! I use it because it works on those planes were I am unable to wrap the tank in foam. Dubro makes a similar clunk but it tends to clog with use causing lean engine runs while the OS one does not. I still use a fuel line filter when using the OS clunk. On my ARF's I also replace the nylon clevises with Sullivan's Gold-N-Clevises, foam wheels with Sullivan's SkyLite Wheels, and plastic spinners with Dave Brown aluminum spinners. I have not had an equipment failure in the last 15 years. The last equipment failure was a nylon clevis that broke in 1995 on a Sig Kougar. I have been building and flying models since 1953 and have learned the hard way not to skimp on equipment.

Bruce
Bruce,

I'm all for using good equipment. Been in this game since the mid 60's myself so, like you, I'm a lifer.

I simply found it outrageously expensive. There are other much less expensive but just as viable solutions.

MattK

Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: MTK

Bruce
Bruce,

I'm all for using good equipment. Been in this game since the mid 60's myself so, like you, I'm a lifer.

I simply found it outrageously expensive. There are other much less expensive but just as viable solutions.

MattK

Agreed but I just happen to like that clunk.

Bruce