Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Question for you Enya Guru's

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Question for you Enya Guru's

Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
speedy72vega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you Enya Guru's

I just picked up a real nice Enya 60 from our club's mini auction last night. I have a few questions, any help would be appreciated.

It appears to be the early version, as the piston has 2 rings. My question is this: The Carburetor has a main adjustment needle, with the detent spring. There's also the throttle stop screw, and then there's a screw that goes in the side of the carb, on the same side as the main adjustment needle.
I've tried reading up a bit, and it seems like this is an air bleed screw? Does that sound right? There is a hole in the front of the Carb body, and I can see the end of the screw when looking into it.
If it is indeed an air bleed, what is the proper adjustment procedure? Is it to smooth transition? Or is it for midrange?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I attached a pic, but I only have a crappy camera right now, as i'm at work. If you look really closely, you can kinda see the hole i'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83399.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1414328  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
abacro

Default RE: Question for you Enya Guru's

I believe that enginge to be a Enya 60 mark lll. The carb is indeed a Airbleed version. The air bleed screw should be about half way across the little hole opening it sticks through. It is only for the idle setting of the running engine,and has little effect on transition to high end. If indeed it is a 60 mark lll,they love a good 11/7 prop and run exstreemly well! I have had 3 of these engines over the past 40 years,and had nothing but pure flying fun from them. I gave them all away to younger flyers so they still run and are being used regularly!

Art
Old 04-08-2010, 01:33 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

Don't know if it's well known but you can still buy a new Enya 60III from Enya Direct website you need to buy the r/c carb and muffler separate.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM
speedy72vega

Thanks Art, what should the hard stop screw be set at in relation to the air bleed screw? Do I just set the hard stop for fully closed throttle and control the idle speed with the airbleed?

Everything I have read so far is positive. It seems this is a very good engine, and should last a good long time.

Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM
speedy72vega

ORIGINAL: tweedy

Don't know if it's well known but you can still buy a new Enya 60III from Enya Direct website you need to buy the r/c carb and muffler separate.
tweedy, sounds like I got pretty lucky. I picked this up with carb, prop, spinner, and muffler for $17.00. I took it completely apart and cleaned it up, it had some sludge built up here and there, but it looked really good inside. A small bit of discoloration in a few small spots in the cylinder bore, but no scoring or scratches at all. All bearings are smooth as well.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:12 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

Enya's just seem to go for ever, you just can't ever seem to wear one out.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

The best way to set the air bleed is to run the engine and adjust it. Just remember it works oposite from a needle valve. An air bleed does just what it says, it bleeds air into the carb. So if the idle is rich, you open the air bleed to allow more air to enter and lean out the mixture. And if the idle is lean, you turn it in to lessen the amount of air which richens the mixture. There is nothing wrong with air bleed carbs. I have had several and they all rub quite well.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
speedy72vega

Thank you Steve. I'm going to test run it this weekend, I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega

Thanks Art, what should the hard stop screw be set at in relation to the air bleed screw? Do I just set the hard stop for fully closed throttle and control the idle speed with the airbleed?

Everything I have read so far is positive. It seems this is a very good engine, and should last a good long time.

Thanks again.
I never used a stop screw I would open it up and lock it so that the carb. could be closed and stop the engine. When I set up the plane, I adj. the servo so that I can shut the engine down with the trim lever on the TX.

This is concidered , a safe way to set up the engine.

sticks
Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
speedy72vega

Thanks sticks, I was thinking that same thing about being able to shut it down with the tx.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Stick 40

your welcome, great buy on the engine. I like a good buy, surprised some one would let it go so reasonalbe.

good luck with it.

sticks
Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM
speedy72vega

Well, i'd like to thank all that gave me the great advice. I test ran the Enya yesterday, and it runs great. I did have a little situation at first though.........my own stupidity.

When I took it apart to clean it up, I didn't pay close enough attention to the intake ports in the lower part of the piston. When I first put it back together, I had the piston in the wrong way, with the ports facing the exhaust. It didn't run too good that way [sm=red_smile.gif].

I took it back apart and reinstalled it the right way, and voila! It runs great. I'll be putting it on a plane here in the next few weeks, thanks again.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:11 AM
AA5BY

While my memory is fading, didn't the Enya 60 indicate a II or III model on the case? At least the first had an exhaust baffle that may or may not have been removed and many were after idle bars were added to glow plugs and it became vogue to use mufflers. I have an Enya .60 first version and it is very reliable but not very powerful. When Enya introduced the *****e ported Enya 40 (still have one) it had nearly the power of the Enya .60 first version and of course was much lighter. When engines like the Kraft 61 were introduced they showed how inadequate the early .60 was power wise.

Another way to recognize the early version is that the throttle arm had two arms... one to receive the control linkage and another for the linkage to the exhaust rotary baffle.

As pointed out, Enya did not supply a muffler with a motor and it is my thinking that hurt their sales when OS, K&B and others started marketing their engines with mufflers.

Good point about inserting the piston liner in backwards... A long time ago, I bought an Enya .29 very cheap to discover the seller evidently had cleaned it up and replaced the liner backwards. The old Enya .29 had a square carb mount. Mine is still running and currently on loan to a gentleman flying it in a Kadet LT-25.

I've also an Enya .19 currently flying in a Honker Bipe.

The .40 was a fairly hot motor and outpowerd the ealier .45. It continues to fly a Quikie 500.

Enya engines seem to last forever.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
speedy72vega

Mine doesn't have a II or III on the case, but it does have the airbleed Carb, the throttle does have 2 levers, and the piston has 2 rings.
I test ran it on a stand, not on a plane, so I can't really say much about the power as of yet. It starts right up though, and runs very smooth.

What % of Nitro do you guys recommend? I test ran it on 15% because that's all I had on hand. Is this ok to run it on? Opinions welcome.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM
AA5BY

The 15% fuel is fine. They will also run fine though a little less power on FAI fuel (no nitro).

Each side of the exhaust outlet there should be a hole where once a rotary exhaust baffle lived but is no longer needed with the advent of idle bar glow plugs and mufflers. The baffle was rotated by linkage from the second arm on the throttle.

Again, I'm not positive that the II and III were on the case but it seems to me they were. And, I'm not positive but I don't recall that the III having an exhaust baffle.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
speedy72vega

Yes, you are right about the holes besides the exhaust port. Someone has filled them with some sort of epoxy, and there is now a muffler on it that is held on by a strap that goes around the cylinder.
I'm going to run it some more this weekend before I put it on a plane. Thanks for the info on the fuels.