Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What is the proper way to Iron Ultracote on top of Ultracote?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is the proper way to Iron Ultracote on top of Ultracote?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the proper way to Iron Ultracote on top of Ultracote?

What or how is the proper way to Iron Ultracote on top of Ultracote without getting bubbles or air pockets? And if I do get the bubbles, am I to use a pin so the air will release? Also if I'm layering Ultracote over Ultracote, what setting should my Iron be?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM
huck1199

Default RE: What is the proper way to Iron Ultracote on top of Ultracote?

If you are doing small trim pieces I would use trim solvent or windex. Heat is very hard to control so as not to shrink pieces out of shape or distort the bottom layer. If you must use an iron I would practice with test settings on the iron until the adhesive just starts to melt when the top is heated for a second or so.  Also make sure the bottom layer is shrunk sufficiently before adding the top layer.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
ChuckW

Windex won't work with Ultracote unfortunately. I've had very good luck in the past going very slowly from one end of the trim piece, sliding the iron from side to side slowly working from one end to the other. I start with a low temp; just enough just to get it to stick then go back over at a little higher temp to make sure it is down good but not hot enough to shrink or distort anything. Another trick is to make a bunch of holes in the covering underneath before applying the trim. The Top Flite woodpecker tool does a great job of this but you can also just take your time with a pin. The holes allow any trapped air to escape. If you do end up with a bubble, just pierce it with a sharp pin or the tip of a hobby knife and iron it down.

I'm not sure if those are the right or the best methods but it has worked for me.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:35 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use the wood pecker to make holes in the covering prior to ironing on my trim. As for temp, I use the same iron temp as the first layer. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-11-2010, 12:04 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Woodpecker or just manually make a bunch of holes with a dressmakers pin. Only make the holes where the top layer goes and it does not matter whether or not its an open bay or balsa underneath. Just make the holes, works like a charm.

John
Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't tried this with Ultracote, but I got decent results putting Black Baron over Coverite 21st Century film (not fabric) with nail polish remover (which contains acetone, diluted). Might be worth a try with Ultracote on scrap.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Oberst
Banned

Thanks people. I have Ultracote Crosses for insignia's on my Hanger 9 Fokker. I replaced my wings and I had a terrible time getting the bubbles out with my last wing, and this wing needs to be ironed the same way the first one did.

I've been building and flying for a few years and I don't know all the tricks, and when I think I know something, reality has a funky way of making me humble. I figured I'd ask the question to see if there was any new and or better ways.

I never been told what most people do, I'm going to do it the way ChuckW does it and eventually I'll get the woodpecker, I plan on building kits in the near future like Dave has mentioned.

I'm glad we have RCU, Thank You all!

Pete
Old 04-11-2010, 03:06 PM
ChuckW

Another option is to make the crosses out of Monokote trim sheets. They are basically a big sticker. Coat the area with soapy water and you can get the insignias positioned just right and squeegy out all the bubbles. I did this for the stripes and lettering on a Cub and is came out great.