Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pitts Special, 1/3 scale questions? Need Help!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pitts Special, 1/3 scale questions? Need Help!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Avaiojet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitts Special, 1/3 scale questions? Need Help!

I'm producing a graphics set for the Charlie Hillard Pitts Special. Yes, I know there's one is available, but it's printed on decal material and I DON'T WANT clear material between the letters. Neither does my customer.

Here's what I need, I could use some simple measurements. For example. The height and length of the, "UNITED STATES AEROBATIC TEAM," for starters.

It would be great if someone has a 1/3 scale Pitts that could offer assistance.

There's no point in making this set incorrect. I'd like to get it as close as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43568.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1416042  
Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
snuts

Default RE: Pitts Special, 1/3 scale questions? Need Help!

Charles, would a photo and measurements from the byron decal sheet work? I could dig my kit out of the garage attic this evening. Let me know please in advance, it's about 15yrs back!
-Snuts-
Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Charles

I have 3 different Pitts maybe I can help you. The 1/3 scale S2S Pitts I'm building has an 80" wing, It's a scratch build and a true 1/3 scale. I also have the Greaat Planes Pitts they call an S2S but it is more like a S1S as far as I can tell because it has a 68" wing. A full size S2S has a 20' wing and that is 80" in 1/3 scale and that is my scratch build. Which are you looking for?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Avaiojet

Charles, would a photo and measurements from the byron decal sheet work? I could dig my kit out of the garage attic this evening. Let me know please in advance, it's about 15yrs back! -Snuts-
Snuts, Your Byron is a model some would kill for. Have you been tempted to put it up for auction?

I actually had the Byron line art and used it for the Eagle graphicxs.

The photo idea with measurements would be great! That would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Charles I have 3 different Pitts maybe I can help you. The 1/3 scale S2S Pitts I'm building has an 80" wing, It's a scratch build and a true 1/3 scale. I also have the Greaat Planes Pitts they call an S2S but it is more like a S1S as far as I can tell because it has a 68" wing. A full size S2S has a 20' wing and that is 80" in 1/3 scale and that is my scratch build. Which are you looking for?
Frequent Flyer,

This particular Pitts ARF, is 68" in span. The "S1S" ? I don't know who offers this Pitts ARF, but I could find out if anyone is interested. I was told it's 1/3 scale. Obviously, it isn't 1/3, and thanks for that info.

The span on the Pitts I'm working on is 68".

Thanks for the help.

Charles

Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charles

Great Planes calls there plane an S2S and they say it is 1/3 Scale , but it has a 68.5" wingspan. However in all of my reseach the S2S had a 20 foot wingspan in the full scale size which would be 80" in 1/3 scale. I have the Great planes Pitts but it really is a scale size for the Pitts S1S "little Stinker" that had about a 17 foot wingspan . Some of the Great Planes booklets call it a 1/3.5 scale which makes no sense to me. I can measure either one if you like.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Avaiojet

Great Planes calls there plane an S2S and they say it is 1/3 Scale , but it has a 68.5" wingspan.
Frequent Flyer,

My interest is the size of each element/graphic, that is on the Charlie Hillard airplane. Lots of photos available, but no measurements.

Possibly the Byron model that Snuts has could yeald this information.

I hope so.

Snuts, please take those photos.

Charles
Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
snuts

Hope this helps. I was a little afraid to open the decal sheet up fully. Any more before I tuck them away? I'd be glad to shoot some more photos.
-Snuts-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15802.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1417019  
Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Avaiojet

Snuts,

Thanks for the photo and measurement. It was kind of you.

However, that's not good news because I'm not sure my cutter can make letters that small?

Only thing I can do is try it and see.

Can't blame the customer for not wanting decal material between the letters.

Be nice if I can pull it off.

I'll let you know and thanks for that photo.

Charles
Old 11-03-2010, 04:32 AM
autotecart

Hi Avio maybe I can help you out here

I am a graphic designer and in my spare time create custom graphics to go on all my models, I strip them, re-monokote them and re-create custom graphics of replica planes that appear in full scale. I am in the process of creating a Kirby chambliss Red Bull Edge 540 I have done a Castrol Edge 540 and a great planes 1/3 scale Adidas/Coke sponsored Pitts Special which looks amazing!!. Planning custom graphics like this for me is pretty straight forward as all I do is take images of each part of the plane, put them on the computer enlarge them to the actual size of the plane in reality, create a outline plan of the actual plane at full size in illustrator and then create the graphics that I am looking to do for that particular plane to the size and layout of the schematic in question.

Its a lengthy process but I know that when the vinyl or images comes back from the shop they are the exact size that I want and its just a case of applying them accordingly. If you want me to make up some graphics for you based on any plane that you have seen just let me know

tony
[email protected]

www.autotecart.com
Old 11-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Avaiojet

If you want me to make up some graphics for you based on any plane that you have seen just let me know
Tony,

Thanks for that offer. I appreciate it.

As you can see from the dates above, this was a while ago. Also, and I probably didn't make this clear, I produce and make model airplane graphics.

I finished the set for the Pitts that was talked about above. I also just finished a set for the Red Bull.

You can see more of my work by visiting my RCU Gallery.

Here's photos of the Pitts and the Red Bull with my graphics.

Guys just do a great job applying vinyl graphics from CFC Graphics.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
RickBoyer
My Feedback: (37)

Hi Charles,

I had Pro Mark make epoxy graphics for two of my 1/3 scale Pitts Special S-1S bipeplanes that I built for Top Gun. I supplied them with a set of Byron Original's vinyl sheet decals to develop the markings for the Hillard Red Devil Pitts.

Rick Boyer
Top Gun 2004 - 2010

Pitts Special S-1S
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1S (#2)
Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
RickBoyer
My Feedback: (37)

I also have copies of the orignal Andy Sheber Pitts Special S-1S if anyone needs a complete set of drawings.

Rick Boyer
Top Gun 2004 - 2011

Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1S (#2)

Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

Rick I would like a set of the Sheber Pitts plans.

James D Peters