Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I need a fuelproof clearcoat... Help...

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I need a fuelproof clearcoat... Help...

Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
SteveR3750
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a fuelproof clearcoat... Help...

I am finishing a Top Flite P-40 Kit.... covered with ultracote, then sanded and painted with Model Master Enamel paint... The problem now is I cant find a fuelproof clearcoat..

I dont have any spray equipment so I was hoping for something in a can that would be fuelproof and compatable with the Model Master Enamel...

Can someone help me out.. What will work?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I need a fuelproof clearcoat... Help...

Luster Coat clear should work. Its spray can.
Edwin
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Luster Coat clear should work. Its spray can.
Edwin
And use several light coats, do a test strip too before you use it. If it works then let the LC cure for as long as you can so it hardens.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:56 PM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
....Enamel paint on Oracover???? Does it stick to the plastic film???
Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Edwin

Yep. I've done it with rustoleum and luster coat. Just dont paint someplace around the cowl where it will rub. The paint will come off.
Edwin
Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Yes it works, you should sand the covering to scuff it up a bit so it sticks better. I don't do it because covering tends to sag and wrinkle in the hot sun and when you tighten it back up the paint often lifts. Here in the desert where it gets very hot in the summer months I have seen it happen a few times. Paint isn't something I would do over the plastic covering but I see it done once in a while. MAN or RC Report did an article about how to do it some years back.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Edwin

I agree. I prefer a fiberglass base for a paint job.
Edwin
Old 04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
SteveR3750

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Yes it sticks...I did scuff it up before applying the enamel paint..Not the best way... but for me an my first kit it was the easiest and cheapest way to go.... My LHS does not carry the Lusterkote but I will see if they will order it for me.. All I can do is ask..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66974.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1416918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92820.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1416919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98433.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1416920  
Old 04-12-2010, 05:16 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

If you get wrinkles in the future, and you will. And you need to iron them out. Lay a paper towel on the painted areas and slide the iron on the paper towel and not directly on the paint.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Square Nozzle

The best fuel proof clear coat you will find is automotive paint. It would be a real shame to put gloss on a warbird. Consider PPG Flex and Flat clear coat. If the cost scares you then look at Stits lite with the compatable flattner. This all assumes you will be using a 10 to 15% nitro fuel although I have used auto clear on a racing boat deck with high nitro fuel with no problems. I think Stits is good to 15% nitro.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Rudolph Hart

John is giving you good advice steve.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Campy

If you have (or can borrow spray gear) look at Nelson's clear WITH THE CROSS LINKER. It is supposed to be good to 25% nitro (definitely good to 15% nitro). I have heard of people getting good results with Nelson's using a foam brush - I haven't tried it using a foam brush.

You might also want to look in an auto supply store for a rattle can of clear ACRYLIC ENGINE ENAMEL (I have only seen it in gloss). I have used this successfully over latex with 15% nitro. If you decide to go this route, make sure the paint on the covering is COMPLETELY dried/cured before putting the clear on, and let the clear dry for a minimum of 5 days before exposing it to glow fuel.

Waterbase polyurethane is fuel RESISTANT with the following caveats (waterbase poly will not yellow, however, the oil base poly will yellow in about 6 months):

1. Let the poly dry/cure for A MINIMUM OF 7 DAYS before exposing it to glow fuel.

2. In areas where the exhaust will be hitting the clearcoat use 2 or 3 coats of the waterbase poly.

3. Do not let the glow residue remain on the plane/finish for over 4 hours - at about 4 hours the finish WILL soften.

I have several planes done this way and have had no problems as long as I followed the caveats above (this was before I found out about Nelson's paint & clearcoat).

Hope this is of some help.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Rudolph Hart

Please excuse me for saying this campy,you are giving out incorrect information.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
yel914

First off, Steve, nice P40 you have there. This is a subject that's very timely. I'm currently finishing a 1/5th scale Waco UPF-7. The plane is covered in Sig Koverall, primed with Hi-fill auto primer, and painted with latex house paint. I need to clear coat for protection against gasoline. The auto body supply houses I've visited offer a wide array of products but no practical advice except trial and error. Any success stories of clear coating over latex would be appreciated, specific brand names of clear coats especially. I've already tried Nelson's clear with limited success so I'd be interested in other clears.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Edwin

Not meaning to hi-jack but I have been experimenting with nelsons color. I mistakenly thought I had rustoleum primer but it was actually grey paint. The nelsons paint didnt stick. It pulled up with tape. So sanded and did a test portion this time using rustoluem hi fill auto primer. Got the same results, lifted with tape. So I ordered Nelsons primer. I have a Ziroli stearman that will be painted with latex. I'm told with a long enough curing time it doesnt need a clear coat when used with gas. Thats the process I was planning on.
Edwin