Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

asp .61

Old 04-16-2010, 04:47 PM
madmike10
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default asp .61

ok here what i got i ave a asp .61 2 stroke it ran good on my bench but in my extra i had to allmost invert it im still useing the stock muffler witch is why i have it allmost inverted i cant seem to get the carb right. it kinda slugish comming from idle to full throttle then stumbles at full throttle im lost i haver owned a 2 niddle rc motor any advive would help
Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 PM
p100d

Default RE: asp .61

When it stumbles in transition. From Low speed to High, your low speed needle is too rich. Turn it a little bit at a time till you get a smooth transition.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 PM
madmike10

ok does it matter that it's allmost compleatly inverted? + does the % of nitro matter im running 15% nitro thats all i could get ATM i normaly run 10% im so lost with this motor im trying ti figure out why it wont stop then the barrel is fully closed when i use my throttle cut sorry im now to the asp motors
Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Trying to learn how to operate a two needle carb engine and a high compression one at that inverted is a lot of learning curve all at once and not the best of choices. Is this you first airplane?

The Asp engines were high compression engines designed for low nitro fuels used in other parts of the world. If you use higher nitro its usually neccessary to lower compression by adding cylinder head gasket. For example I have had in the past an ASP 1.08 that I did successfully run on 15% nitro fuel but it hand two extra head gaskets on it that came with engine when it was new.

With an inverted set up it is neccessary for you to lower the fuel tank to maintain the important tank center to carburator spray bar relationship or you will have syphoning problems and possibly running problems.

As posted by p100d for now just try leaning the midrange needle. Most important get an experiance flyer for hands on help with the engine operation and or flying.

John
Old 04-17-2010, 04:11 PM
madmike10

is there a good sight to get head gaskets from? sprry im new to asp but i do have a os .25 in a small tranner a tower hobby .40 in a bigger tranner and a cesna with a os .46 just i got thease motors from a job i did cleaning out a house for a bank. they never been ran and both where in boxes so thats why im asking for help and i found a new 1 niddle adjustment carb would it help this motor out with getting it tuned
Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: madmike10

is there a good sight to get head gaskets from?

found a new 1 niddle adjustment carb would it help this motor out with getting it tuned

No there are no good sites. Its been many years since ASP was sold in this country by a responsible distributor who stocked parts. I beleve one of the Hong Kong net sellers now sells certain of the ASP engines I think mostly four stroke. Its very doubtfull you can get any parts from them.

Trying to change carbs in this situation is pointless.

Forgive me if I read this wrong but it sounds as thought you have no actual flying experiance and trying to start out on your own with this sixty size extra. That certain to result in failure and a wrecked airplane with you learning nothing.

You need to forget the extra and concentrate on the forty sized trainer and even more important you need to connect either with a club and/or an experianced glow power mentor/instructor.

If not its likely you will leave a trail of dead airplanes. Agine please correct me if I read the situation wrong. Beleve me every one wants you to acheve success.

John
Old 04-17-2010, 05:53 PM
madmike10

i do have a 40 size tranner this is going to be my plane i will fly once i get use to the movments of my trainner first im just strying to get it up and going and have my ama flight instructor test it then it will be hung tell the point im ready to fly it i founf a gasket in the 2 asp .61 i had laying around so going to use it and see if it helps BTW i had a racing plane that i flew with my instructor but i retired it do to the tuchyness of it and got my a 40 class trainner as i said this is my first asp i have 2 os and 1 tower hobby motors on my trainners ATM this is one of my trainners
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18615.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1419764  
Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
JohnBuckner

Thank you Mike for correcting me and appears you are moving down a successful route to acheving the dream.

On the ASP before changing anything first try running it agine after turning the midrange needle in a quarter turn and if no change do it agine. If anyone is using some low nitro fuel see if you can trade for a tank full and try it.

Don,t forget to try to lower the tank and you often can by getting creative with a dremel rotary tool.

Many happy flights

John
Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
madmike10

the tank allmost on the bottom of the plane ATM and its conected to a quick fueler thats locared behind the landing gear so the fuel from the tank to the carb hasto run uphill anyways butdo you know the base settings for the asp carb so i can go at this from a factory setting
Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 AM
JohnBuckner

weather or not you experiance syphoning is predicated entirely upon the the fuel tank to spraybar (in the carburator venturi) height relationship. It has nothing to do with the bottom of the airplane.

Frequently when the fellows invert an engine in an airplane that may have been intended for a sideways mount they can run into problems with the tank to spraybar relationship.

A fueling valve will have no effect on the possibility of syphoning or a line routed uphill , syphoning can still occur. What is important is the tank/spraybar relationship.

I cannot give you a specific read out of an instruction sheet as my engine was a 1.08 not a .61 and it was some time back.

I can only hint at a genaric procedure for an engine of about that displacement and equiped with a double needle type carb.

I would close the throttle turn the main needle in untill it was closed, then back it out 31/2 full turns. With the throttle closed screw the midrange screw (which is in the middle of the throttle barrel) in untill you feel it touch and then back it out three full turns. This should put you in a reasonably rich range for safe starting. Remember because of an inverted mounting the midrange will likely be rich and need leaning as you go. Also If I remember correctly these carbs have a combined throttle barrel guide and stop screw. These are usually tall and straight up on top normally with springs on them. Don,t confuse these for midrange mixture screws.

John
Old 04-18-2010, 05:48 AM
madmike10

ok my carb is set up like this looking at it from the front of the motor right side is the ( highspeed) next to the fuel nippleniddle next is theidel screw (with a spring on it)next is ascrew that slides with in a grove in the barrel. last is thelowspeed needle on the left side if the carbwith the throttle link
Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 AM
JohnBuckner

OK that sounds good and the only differance from what I described is the the idle stop screw and the throttle barrel guide screw are two separate screws instead of the combined type.

John
Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 AM
madmike10

so what one is the midrange? sorry im not so use to setting up thease type of carbs unless it's on my nitro cars or is it the same way roughly becouse im not treating it like that
Old 04-18-2010, 02:12 PM
JohnBuckner

The midrange sometimes called the low speed range is the flat tip screwdriver slot in the end of the throttle barrel on the engines right side, the side the throttle arm is on.

The idle stop screws if equiped are normally adjusted so the throttle barrel can close completely which allows the servo to shut the engine off.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:06 PM
madmike10

thanks for the help mine is auctly a thumbscrew type but i got it running good still having a fit getting it to shutoff when i hit my throttle cut but i just cover my muffler and stop it that way if i cant figure that part out i will be getting a new motor im looking at a towerhobby .61 but all of that rest on if i can get this motor to fuction the way it should outher then that its running super i added 2 gaskets that my spair motor had and that helped a lot many my ama instructor can get this motor tamed