Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why so down on young guns?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why so down on young guns?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:57 PM
timcat26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why so down on young guns?

ORIGINAL: Lane Horneck

So far these are all great responses...I guess my next question would bethesolution, if any exists, for preventing burned out instructors?

As an Instructor at our Club I think that simply showing appreciation, verbally and in future actions, for the time and effort involved in instruction is enough for me. I for one geta kick out of seeing former student pilots advance even beyond skuill levels I currently posess as a pilot. About the best payback I've gotten from this hobby is seeing those that I've instructed become instructors themselves.

As to the younger guys that would like the older folks to accept them, realize that this is an age old problem and will not be solved in one or two visits to the field. They are much more set in their ways and attitudes. This happens naturally as one gets older. All I can say is.....that will be you one day, and this will at that time seem a perfectly natural reaction.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:59 PM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: timcat26

So far these are all great responses...I guess my next question would bethesolution, if any exists, for preventing burned out instructors?

As an Instructor at our Club I think that simply showing appreciation, verbally and in future actions, for the time and effort involved in instruction is enough for me. I for one geta kick out of seeing former student pilots advance even beyond skill levels I currently posess as a pilot. About the best payback I've gotten from this hobby is seeing those that I've instructed become instructors themselves. The solution for burnout is, IMO, simply to respect their time, both as an instructor and for personal flying time.

As to the younger guys that would like the older folks to accept them, realize that this is an age old problem and will not be solved in one or two visits to the field. They are much more set in their ways and attitudes. This happens naturally as one gets older. All I can say is.....that will be you one day, and this will at that time seem a perfectly natural reaction.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I taught myself how to fly both control line and R/C. Why? Because no one showed up at the R/C flying field most of the time. I practiced "dry flying" at home (before simulators) and I also began R/C by flying a simple rudder only model airplane. It taught me the fundamentals so well that making the transition to "multi" (more than a single channel/control surface) was actually easier to do. No buddy boxes, no instructors and no crashes. I did my homework.

It sounds as though some of you kids are looking for a pat on the head from the oldsters. Stop it. You will always be disappointed if you seek others' approval. Make up your mind as to the goal that you wish to accomplish and then go about pleasing yourself. If you do that, you will one day notice that others will seek your company. This is a hobby to other folks. They don't go to the field to babysit someone elses kids. I'm sorry if this is a bit rough, but it is the truth.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 AM
BillyGoat

I fly at the field in Elyria now. LCRC. Pretty good group of guys out there.
I'll have to look the club up next time I'm in town. If you want to meet a truly great group, go to Botsford field when those guys are flying. Hangout enough and you just might catch a ride.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

I taught myself how to fly both control line and R/C. Why? Because no one showed up at the R/C flying field most of the time. I practiced ''dry flying'' at home (before simulators) and I also began R/C by flying a simple rudder only model airplane. It taught me the fundamentals so well that making the transition to ''multi'' (more than a single channel/control surface) was actually easier to do. No buddy boxes, no instructors and no crashes. I did my homework.

It sounds as though some of you kids are looking for a pat on the head from the oldsters. Stop it. You will always be disappointed if you seek others' approval. Make up your mind as to the goal that you wish to accomplish and then go about pleasing yourself. If you do that, you will one day notice that others will seek your company. This is a hobby to other folks. They don't go to the field to babysit someone elses kids. I'm sorry if this is a bit rough, but it is the truth.

Ed Cregger
I also taught myself. I also don't seek others approval, tips yeah approval no. If I am not where I want to be in this hobby it is because I am not working hard enough at it, simple enough. If a 6 year old kid can fly a helicopter 3D better than I can it is bacause he works harder at it than I do. When I was that age when I wanted something I went all out at it. Now that I am older I have to push myself to work at getting better.I envy younger peoples enthusiasm, not there ability-BW
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: Bonified Wingnut

When I was that age when I wanted something I went all out at it. Now that I am older I have to push myself to work at getting better.I envy younger peoples enthusiasm, not there ability-BW
Two great posts!

Today was a great day of flying at our club.
Old guys were telling stories and young guys were flying hard.
I helped retrieving models for the older members, the same gentlemen that explained some tricks to the young 3-D enthusiasts.
All were respected and all had fun.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Wyoming Cowboy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: BillyGoat

I fly at the field in Elyria now. LCRC. Pretty good group of guys out there.
I'll have to look the club up next time I'm in town. If you want to meet a truly great group, go to Botsford field when those guys are flying. Hangout enough and you just might catch a ride.
Believe it or not I was taking "lessons" of sorts from Jon Storr. (I don't know if you know him??) I'm not ready to solo in the glider yet though. Gettin there...they also said they wouldn't mind me flying my models there.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Wyoming Cowboy

ORIGINAL: timcat26

As an Instructor at our Club I think that simply showing appreciation, verbally and in future actions, for the time and effort involved in instruction is enough for me. I for one geta kick out of seeing former student pilots advance even beyond skuill levels I currently posess as a pilot. About the best payback I've gotten from this hobby is seeing those that I've instructed become instructors themselves.

Sounds good. Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Wyoming Cowboy

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

How many students would I have to teach each year before you would consider me burnt out. Perhaps I wouldn't want to teach you?? Would that make me burnt out? When I'm teaching maybe I would like to be flying instead. My younger students don't take too long to teach but when I get an older person there is usually a lot of time involved. I teach people who and when I want to. If I don't feel like taking on another student am I burnt out or would I like to do something besides hold a switch and say left, left left all day. If someone in my area really wants to learn to fly and I don't feel like teaching, there is a fellow at the other field I can send people to that think I'm burned out, he will always teach. You have to pay him $75.00 an hour to teach you but he isn't burnt out. He is young and strong, a man amoung men. How much are you willing to pay?? Free lessons are the norm but no one is required to teach anyone. The more I read the more I think I would shine you on and send you down the line to someone else. Maybe someone that isn't too burnt out.
Well I'm an accomplished pilot now. Still working on some aerobatics but my trainer lasted just long enough...I still have it in my "hangar" in a bag Tried pulling out of a split S with fuel soaked/weakening rubber bands...wings came off and that was the end of it. Oh well The guy who taught me said I was one of the easiest he'd had and enjoyed teaching me. Thanks for the input though.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll chime in here after serving as a trainer for a season in my club. The guys I run with are very friendly to new flyers because we are aware of the PR benefits. So I haven't seen anyone really be put down, although some students have been quite trying. The biggest peeve is students who think that you work for them. We haven't had many, but generous people get not so in a hurry when you act like they are obligated to you. Second is guys who show up with airplanes that aren't airworthy. The first time isn't such a bother, but when it's consistent it makes me wonder why I'm donating my time to a guy who probably isn't going to be succesful the hobby. And the most common bad student is the one who looks at training night as his recreation time. He doesn't plan to buy an airplane or, if he has one, he doesn't want to work on skills so he can get soloed. The bottom line is that if I think a student isn't going to become a successful flyer, then he's wasting my time. Students who genuinely want to learn and want to work on their skills are a joy to me and I always go out of my way to help them.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
andybenton

im a young guy, i just got my trainer from my dad and ive only ever put it up once.

the guy training me told me it was a pos. after three other people deamed it perfect.

i took it completely apart, reglued all the joints, re monokoted the whole plane, and he still called it crap.
i got looking around and found a different trainer that thinks the plane is awsome. and it flies perfectly.

the only complaint he had was my 1992 futaba conquest radio. lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Wyoming Cowboy

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I'll chime in here after serving as a trainer for a season in my club. The guys I run with are very friendly to new flyers because we are aware of the PR benefits. So I haven't seen anyone really be put down, although some students have been quite trying. The biggest peeve is students who think that you work for them. We haven't had many, but generous people get not so in a hurry when you act like they are obligated to you. Second is guys who show up with airplanes that aren't airworthy. The first time isn't such a bother, but when it's consistent it makes me wonder why I'm donating my time to a guy who probably isn't going to be succesful the hobby. And the most common bad student is the one who looks at training night as his recreation time. He doesn't plan to buy an airplane or, if he has one, he doesn't want to work on skills so he can get soloed. The bottom line is that if I think a student isn't going to become a successful flyer, then he's wasting my time. Students who genuinely want to learn and want to work on their skills are a joy to me and I always go out of my way to help them.
Yeah, I said earlier commitment is what it's all about. You literally get out of it what you put in. Iagree thatit shouldn't be the club's responsibility to provide a plane/fuel/what-have-you. Commitment and being able to fly safely and in control.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Wyoming Cowboy

ORIGINAL: andybenton

im a young guy, i just got my trainer from my dad and ive only ever put it up once.

the guy training me told me it was a pos. after three other people deamed it perfect.

i took it completely apart, reglued all the joints, re monokoted the whole plane, and he still called it crap.
i got looking around and found a different trainer that thinks the plane is awsome. and it flies perfectly.

Well I hope all goes well if you're not an accomplished pilot already.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Thing is ................. if you learn on the POS then anything you get after that will seem like it's smooth as silk. Kind of like learning to drive with a Chevy truck then getting a Dodge.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm glad that guys like that don't fly at my club. Or at least they don't train, as they shouldn't. I would never put down a new guy's equipment unless it was unsafe or not airworthy. I will bend over backwards to help a new guy who has taken the initiative to buy his own stuff, even to the point of doing building and repair work with him at the field to get a plane right before flying it. I've done that before, and have had it done for me (only once) when I started. All I ask is that a guy take the learning seriously and appreciate that the trainers are doing him a favor.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Wyoming Cowboy

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I'm glad that guys like that don't fly at my club. Or at least they don't train, as they shouldn't. I would never put down a new guy's equipment unless it was unsafe or not airworthy. I will bend over backwards to help a new guy who has taken the initiative to buy his own stuff, even to the point of doing building and repair work with him at the field to get a plane right before flying it. I've done that before, and have had it done for me (only once) when I started. All I ask is that a guy take the learning seriously and appreciate that the trainers are doing him a favor.
I hear that. I'm done training and my instructor continues to help me with builds and comes to the field to make sure I do alright. I give him the radio for all my maidens because I know he's a better pilot than I. Guys like this and Jester are who you want to trust your planes with.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 AM
BillyGoat

Now did he REALLY call it a pos? Or is that just your brief interpretation? Not trying to bust your balls it's just I've been on the other side of that coin. Guy brand spank'n new to the hobby comes out with the pride and joy he spent weeks laboring over and now wants to see it fly. Some mistakes were made in the building process just because he didn't know any better, which I fully understand, was there one time myself.

I point out a few things, as nicely as possible, what needs to be fixed, re-adjusted or whatever to make it airworthy. Later a couple of other guys are ohhhing and ahhhhing at his stellar covering job. In a dejected state of mind, because he thought his plane was going to fly today, his interpretation now is that I think it’s a POS and it will never fly and tells these guys so. Well they didn't give it the maiden preflight check like I did and now I'm an SOB for deeming his nice looking plane a POS, which I didn't.

Edit: In addition I probably would have in issue with your 1992 futaba Conquest radio too. Not that it's 18 years old or that it just a lowly conquest. My concern would be that it's been in somebodys attic for nearly two decades and can pertty much determine its NEVER been to a certified repair facility for a check/retune. Radios do go out of tune which is why I get my transmitters checked every couple years.