Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How often to charge my DX-7?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How often to charge my DX-7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:52 AM
servohead107
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often to charge my DX-7?

HI,

I'm always confused as to when to charge my transmitters. I don't want to have the TX battery develop memory or ruin the battery by charging it too often, or for too long. How does that factory charger work anyway? CAN you overcharge the Tx battery? At what voltage should I decide to charge it? 9.9v? I have a DX-7 right now but for 15 years have always wondered about this.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How often to charge my DX-7?

There is a beeper that goes off on the DX7 at 9 volts, so it's a good thing to charge it at about 9.5 volts.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:23 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're using the wall wart that came with the transmitter just plug it in for about 10 hours before you go flying once you've done your initial form charge of 15 hours. The battery can tolerate some overcharging at that slow rate, and memory isn't going to become an issue. You can cycle your battery down to 1.1 volts per cell every few months if you're still worried about memory, but NiCd's have improved over the years in that area so it's really not an issue anymore. Cycling on a good charger 2-3 times a year is good to verify that the battery is still taking a charge like it should.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charge it the night before you go flying... every time. I see a lot of guys with their flying days ruined because they show up with a dead transmitter or receiver battery. The battery that comes with it is NiMh so memory effect shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I charge the 5 transmitters I use a lot for 5 hours a day in the morning.
They're on a timer.
Been doing that for 25 years.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good idea. Never thought of it. Then I'd be ready to fly any time at a moments notice.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Nitro-Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I upgraded to the 2500Mah battery in my DX 7 last year......full charge on that bad boy and I can go all weekend at the field....at least until the Wife sends someone to get me

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPB5011
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The battery that is in mine {that needs replacing} gets charged as soon as I get home from the field and my charger goes into trickle mode so it is always ready. It's set to beep around 9.2 volts I think?? Anyway, today I got it down to 9.3. If I was going to fly more I have a field charger and in about 20 minutes it's good to go again. When I was using the wall warts some years ago I charged up every night before I went flying.