Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Super Tiger or Magnum

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
SuperTigre G-51 Dual BB Ringed w/Muffler
55.88%
Magnum XLS-52 Ball Bearing ABC FSR
44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Super Tiger or Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 PM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tiger or Magnum

I'm getting an engine for my ultrastick 40 and these are the two I'm considering. Which should i get?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:48 PM
jay2000dakota

Default RE: Super Tiger or Magnum

I would get a Saito 56 or 62, lighter then Magnums.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really cant go wrong with a supertigre....ive had 40s, 45's,51's and a 91...they all ran great .... just make sure you run it on the rich side for several tanks

Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Super Tigre .51 a few years ago and I hated it. I'm sure it was just a lemon because my .45 ran good aside from a poor transition and finicky idle mixture setting. I imagine my .51 could have been fixed if I'd bothered to take the time. I don;t mind fixing old, worn out things but I despise having to "fix" new stuff. That's just me. I sold it and installed an OS... problem solved.

I also bought the Magnum .52 2-stroke not too long ago. The sale price from Hobby People was too good to pass up. I have to say that I am very impressed with the engine considering the low price that I paid. It runs great, adjusts as I would expect it too, idles great, transitions great and makes good power. The quality may not be quite OS level but it is pretty darn close and the price can't be beat. It is far superior to the other low-cost engines I have owned. I would definitely buy another.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 PM
spadeng

I would look for a OS 46sf on Ebay. I have had SuperTigre engines. The ABC ones run ok I had a .46 and a .61 I run on a Telemaster. like was said earlier, run it rich for a couple of gallons. they take a while to break in. I had a friend that ran a Magnum it was OK. I have 3 of the old OS and they are discontinued but they run really good. I have one on my Ultra Stick with Macs muffler on it, it is probibly the most reliable engine I own, with a 11x4 prop it pulls the plane and almost has unlimited vertical. You can pick them up for arround $45 on ebay, If you have to have one that is posted I would go with the SuperTigre
Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
dignlivn

JMO,

Os 70 or Saito 82,

Bob
Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

I have an Ultra Stick 40 with an OS .55AX on it. Great combo. Another engine I have that matches the OS on a standard muffler is the JBA .56 2-stroke.

The OS responds well to a Jett tuned muffler. The JBA does not. I also tried the JBA with a Tower muffler and the OS muffler and none beat the stock JBA muffler.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

i have both,
the st-51 only has one tank through it but its turning a 11x5 prop in the 13500 range on 0% nitro right out of the gate which is impressive, it idles ok for a new engine and transitions rather well for not being tuned. first impressions are good, ill let you know in a few days how well it does in the air
as for the magnum .52, all i have to say about this engine is it is a BEAST in the power department. mine turns a apc 12x4 around 14000 rpm on 0% nitro (better than my ax55), idles fairly well, transition needs a little fine tuneing, the engine is reliable.
now have a little patience with the magnum (and prob the st-51 as well) dont judge them until they have had some fuel through them. the magnum can be a real pain in the arse to get the low speed needle set at first, but once your close its not to bad. have a little patience and you will be good to go.

for the moment im going to say the magnum since i havnt messed with the st-51 to much yet, either one wouldnt be a bad choice
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

I have an Ultra Stick 40 with an OS .55AX on it. Great combo. Another engine I have that matches the OS on a standard muffler is the JBA .56 2-stroke.

The OS responds well to a Jett tuned muffler. The JBA does not. I also tried the JBA with a Tower muffler and the OS muffler and none beat the stock JBA muffler.
The Ultra Stick with an OS .55AX is perfect.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the help everyone. I have decided to get the magnum.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rc airplane nut

Thanks for the help everyone. I have decided to get the magnum.
Good choice. The Super Tigre would have been fine too, just more effort to break in and a little harder to tune.

Bruce
Old 05-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You couldn't go wrong with either engine, as I own all of the ST's from the 40 thru
the 3250, and the Magnums from the 46 thru the 91 2 strokes, they are all great
engines once broken in. But like was stated above the Magnum 52 is a real power
house once it is broken in, you will love it.

Bill D.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Magnum is a newer design