Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fuelproof clear coat help please ?!?!?!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuelproof clear coat help please ?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 AM
superflyboy1988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuelproof clear coat help please ?!?!?!

Im kind of new the hobby so I used krylon indoor/outdoor primer then the true blue gloss paint to cover my flight box ( I liked the wide spray)I have also added decals ( the kind that you get wet to put on )I was going to order the lustercoat from tower hobbies but at 7 bucks a can I went look for a off the shelf way to do it. So after hours of going threw forums im more conversed then when I start. I have read that lustercoat will orange peal the paint and runs in high humidly( I live in texas ) . Others say a urethane will work but it yellows the paint. And then there are the fans of the two part epoxys but I have very little painting exp and I don’t own a paint gun. HELP WHAT DO I DO CAN SOME PLEASE BRAKE IT DOWN FOR ME. I plan on using this flight pox for a long time and want it to last.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 AM
MostlyKaos

Default RE: fuelproof clear coat help please ?!?!?!

Just leave it be, go flying.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Augie11

I have used Lustrecoat clear over white on a flitebox. Yes, it did yellow a bit but it took about 4 years and you really don't see it happening. But that's over white. I don't think it would effect blue very much.

Epoxy diluted with alcohol or acetone works well but we use it mostly inside cowls, on firewalls etc. because it is brushed on and that's never the neatest way to go.

The suggestion to 'go fly' is a good one. In a few years you'll want a new box anyway as your preferences take shape!

Enjoy!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM
superflyboy1988

thanks for the info do you have any tips on keeping the lustercoat clear from running i tryed useing the lustercoart primer and insignia blue paint first and it ran like crazy so i had to sand it down and start over that why i went with the krylon indoor outdoor the second time it like i said before a have little painting exp
Old 05-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Running is one of the problems with LK. The trick is several light coats, if it runs you are hitting the box with too much paint. I'm with Kaos, forget about the flight box and just go fly. After a time they all look pretty bad just getting knocked around in your hauler of shop.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

I agree. My flight box looked good for all of about a few weeks. Mine gets thrown around and dont really care what it looks like. Well - as long as it isnt pink.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YUP !!! Just go flying, the box will take care of itself. ENJOY !!! RED