Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Bad Experience with Hangar 9 RTF - Need Advice

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Bad Experience with Hangar 9 RTF - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
nd23rin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Experience with Hangar 9 RTF - Need Advice

Hi All-

I am a newbie to this hobby, which has completely captivated and hooked me already, however I have had some trouble with my first plane (Hangar 9 Mustang PTS MkII.) Since assembling it, I have been to the AMAclub I joined about 6-7 times and have only been able to fly a total of 4 flights due to problems which have cost me a lot of money, and really had nothing to do with my own crappy flying.

This weekend was the kicker though. The evolution engine still had the original glow plug in it, and upon trying to start the plane I noticed what appeared to be some fuel leaking from it. I removed the plug, or actually my instructor did, only to find that it was very loose because the threads on the inside of the head were completely stripped. It almost appeared that it had been cross threaded, which would have had to have happened at the factory since it was still the original glow plug. In addition to this, the carb was constantly coming loose and on my first flight the retainer screw came out as well. On the recommendation of numerous guys at the club I decided to take the opportunity to just upgrade to an OS55AX....since I got a good deal on it, I didn't feel too bad!

OK, now fast forward to the next day...still have not flown all weekend. New engine in, sounds great broken in! My instructor and I put the plane on the taxiway to test the controls on the buddy box to find that we have no rudder control. I take the plane back to the stand and pull the servo. Upon opening up the servo casing I see that the solder point is completely off on one of the wires. Now I have to go home and scratch yet another day of flying and buy a new servo.

Normally I would not complain, and Hangar 9 seems to make great stuff.....but I have now dumped another $175 into this plane. I am not sure if I should call Horizon and ask them to replace either the engine and servo, or just replace the plane. I don't want to impose on what seems to be a solid company, but isn't the idea to actually fly your first plane? Does anyone have experience in dealing with them, or provide guidance on this....thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Bad Experience with Hangar 9 RTF - Need Advice

I think it's at least worth a phone call or email
Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I think it's at least worth a phone call or email
Horizon has been one of the good places to deal with over the years. Things happen and you just have them happening to you at the moment. If you call and talk to a service rep they may just have you send in the engine for replacement, they have been very good about that in the past. Cross threading the glow plug could have happened very easily from the factory. Worth every bit of a phone call.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I would have called about warranty service on the engine before buying another one, but at least you still can and you'll like that OS .55 on your next plane. The servo is definitely a warranty issue and you are lucky that it didn't fail in flight. I would call them and tell them your story, and ask how they would like to handle it. They at least need to replace the head on your engine (easy to install yourself) and replace the servo. For future reference, it's important to go over a new plane with a fine toothed comb, checking every screw, every connection, every place for air to leak in your engine, and every electronic component. Modern manufacturing makes good products and mistakes are rare, but this stuff is mass produced and there will always be a few duds.

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...#ixzz0pcFNK6WR
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
chevypower1930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call horizon.. they're probably the biggest model airplane company and they'll take care of you... I've got about 100 flights on my Hangar 9 P51 mustang .60 size w/ absolutely no problems...