Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Old 06-04-2010, 03:10 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Hello,

I am doing this thread to see what other people not in my club think.

I'm 15 years old.
Have been flying for 6 years.
I want to start flying warbirds, but the comments I hear at my field about me flying airplanes like warbirds are really making me mad, and making me mad because they base age on what airplanes i should be flying.
I have waayyyy more experience flying these things than they think. I try to let what they say go in one ear and out the other.

So my main question is, what do other people think about a 15 year old flying a Don Smith B-17 bomber or Nosen P-51?
P.S. I do have warbird experience if you want to know.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 03:41 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Just because you turn 16 doesn't mean you get the keys to the Corvette.

The same is true with airplanes.

Those planes could kill an entire crowd of people. Its not just skill that isneeded, its maturity, judgement and more life experience than you might think.

Might I ask how a 15 year old can afford such models ?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:45 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you fly those planes? yes; if they are yours, do what you want. You getting angry being told what, is you being 15; no offense intended but you are giving the standard teenage reaction. The only way to show them is to fly what you want; if you need their help to make it happen you are going to be stuck until their opinion changes. I was flying and building planes at a similar age, and my mom told me," you have to me a man on how you conduct yourself when you are out there." The pleasures and the hard knocks all have to be taken in stride. I wanted a Nosen P-51 at 15 the best I could do was a Jemco p-51 and a Royal Spitfire, so if you have them, cool!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
rwright142

It is not age but experience that is important. If you are careful, safe, and fly professionally (know and follow the rules) then I would fly with you any time. It sounds like you have more experience then a lot of others I have flown with but you still need to know the characteristics of the plane you will be flying.
P-51s fly differently than trainer planes for example. So be on your toes and go for it.
At the club I used to belong to there was a 12 yr old that few a Corsair. And he flew it with grace, and showed a lot of us that age does not matter. His father was there with him all the time and helped him but he flew it very well. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
jetmech05

If you fly by the rules, your club and the AMA, even when no one else is around. Then you have the judgement and maturity to handle any war bird you want......
After six years of flying you should have the skill to handle such airplanes...I said should......If all you have ever flown are trainer type airplanes.....maybe you should re think and gain some more skill....
However If you are doing aerobatics, flying inverted around the pattern, can see a stall coming, as I bet you can then go fly your warbird.....and the heck with what the peanut gallery is saying......
I however have never been in a club where a pilot was judged by his or her age but by abilllity......
My daughter is 15 and is treated as an equal at our club...

Good Luck
Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 PM
LargeScale88

Well I think I'm matured up way more than kids my age. I always fly safe, by the rules, safety comes first. I guess i could say I'm smart because I'm taking college classes right now as a sophmore in high school. I was just wondering what other peoples opinion was. My grandpa thought the same I did. People judge what you can fly by your age, and how long you have been flying, so if they have never seen you fly a warbird, they don't think you can, when you actually can, so thats why I asked.

One reason why I was getting kinda mad is because I said they judge what airplanes you can fly based on age, even though they have never seen you fly before.

And don't ever worry, i'm always safe. I'm actually a safety officer at my field. I've been talking with numerous people about the different flying characteristics in warbirds, so its not like i'm going up in the air with absolutely no idea what the heck i'm doing. I've got lots of brain experience it terms of ground checking, i know about stalls, i test the stall rate on new airplanes, i make sure dual and high rates are set right, i program flap and elevator mix, rudder and aileron mix, and more. So I got the talent, brains, and flying experience to fly these bigger ones.

You asked where I get the money to afford all these expensive airplanes?
- I'm working 32 hours a week at an electrical company with my dad, we make electric circuit boards for cell phones, programming, and more.

I program my servos, and re-program recievers sometimes, have all the 2.4 systems hooked up.

Overall, I got the brains, experience, and talent with maturiy and safety.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Age and experience aren't the same things, but people often generalize between the two.  If you've flown progressively more advanced and complex models and large scale warbirds are your thing, why not?

I will tell you this, though.  Here at RCU you've asked a lot of the same questions over and over.  Sometimes it seems as though you're looking more for validation on your choices than actual information.  That's just how it appears to me.  The fellows you fly with may have the same sense, if you've conducted yourself in the same way at the field.  How people see you is largely a function of how you present yourself.

Have you flown any smaller warbirds?  Any twins?  If you haven't gotten much time on things like those, I can see where people might try to gently nudge you towards them rather than a large P-51 and four-engined B-17.  I can also remember that when I was 15, I often took those gentle nudges to be critical jabs.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 PM
LargeScale88

I"m always for learning about the models, getting help from the guys who have been flying them longer then I have been alive.
I'm kinda confused on the asking questions on RCU.

The main reason I did this thread is to see if the people in my club are just trying to prevent from flying warbirds or actually want me to wait. One guy at my club (the vice president) seems excited about me gettin out and flying a p-51 and my bomber because hes seen me fly so many times. Another guy says i can't because i'm only 15, and warbirds are for older folks.

Thats what I was trying to get at. I'm not trying to ask the same questions on RCU if thats what you were wondering.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

I started flying at 11 and by 16 was teaching people twice my age to fly. I occasionally received the lectures by pilots that didn't know me. They would tell me "that plane is to advanced, fast, hard for you" that is until they saw me fly. My secret was not to immediatly show off, as this can make you seem reckless. Instead fly with precision and show you know how to handle your aircraft safely. You will soon win most over, and the ones that still think you are too young tend to be the ones that are irked by someone younger that has nicer/better A/C and more confidence/skills. Show you are safe and competent and "those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter" (Dr. Seuss.)
Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I agree that age and maturity do not always follow a linear progression. When my son was 16 he had been flying RC for about 6 or 7 years and Full Size aircraft for a couple. One of the differences is the amount of training required. To fly RC most clubs will solo you if you can get up and down fairly safely. But Full Scale planes require a maturity far beyond RC. Are you mature or skilled enough? That's not possible for anyone to answer unless they have witnessed you fly over a period of time. If there are members in your club who doubt your ability they are at least able to watch you and judge your actions. I would think you should be old enough and mature enough but I don't know. We have people of all ages in our club who lack the maturity to safely fly. Keep flying you will get better and older everyday.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 PM
LargeScale88

Thanks guys. Makes me feel better, i'm not the only one who hates listening to the guys who all they talk about is "age flying" in other words, they assign an aircraft for you depending on age.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're buying them then fly what you'd like.

Also, the "warbirds" of today are not what a lot of the older guys think of. A .91 size glow warbird or larger from 1980 with a heavy wing loading is a different animal from a dinky & light electric 12 oz warbird. The Hanger 9 P-51 is a trainer in a warbird paint pattern. Tip stalls and ground loops are less concern in the "semi-scale" sport warbirds that have some forgiveness built in.

I see you're doing the "big dogs" with 3W 75 engines & such. Good for you. You're lucky to have been introduced to it early.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:05 PM
LargeScale88

They actually say, the bigger, the easier to fly. Not sure thats 100% true, but it is partially because you can see them better, they wont be as jumpy as the smal dinky warbirds.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Age = plane type?? That's about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I have flown with teens flying 40% 3-D planes. If you have the skill and have the money then just fly it.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Having worked with teens vocationally for a few years and having trained a couple in RC, I understand where the older guys are coming from. A typical 15 year old thinks he has experience if he's done something one time. If he's done it for 6 months, he thinks he's an expert. Us older guys know better and have seen a few 15 year olds screw up royally when reality got in touch with perception. It also doesn't help when the 15 year old gets an attitude when the older guys try to tell him something. It is normal for a 15 year old to want to go straight into the coolest, fastest, and biggest stuff and then get mad when someone tells him he shouldn't.

The truth is, contrary to what typical 15 year olds think, most adults don't want to just keep you from enjoying life. What we do want is to keep you from being disappointed and discouraged, from splitting your head open, from becoming a dad (at least at 15) and any number of other bad experiences that 15 year olds commonly have because they percieved their level of knowledge and talent to be far greater than it was. You, being 15, think we just think too slow or are too old fashioned or that we underestimate you, failing to realize how truly superior to every other 15 year old in the world that you are. The guys at the field are probably trying to help you because they want to see you enjoy the hobby and stay with it. Treat them as friends, listen to them, and learn from them.

Now that the philosophy and parenting are out of the way, this is a hobby. Enjoy it the way you want to. Understand that you, being a novice with these advanced models, will probably have a major crash at least once. If you and whoever is funding you are ok with that, then go ahead. If not, then maybe an intermediate aircraft is in order to give you some more experience. Build your skill and learn from anyone who will take the time to speak to you, and have a good time.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes and no. A large sport gas model is probably easier once aloft than a small glow version. Provided you can transport the beast and afford the servos. On the other hand there is something to be said for a .46 sized biplane you can pull out of the wagon fully assembled and be ready to fly as soon as you fuel it up. That's why I have a 43" WS Ultimate and a 65" WS Ultimate. I can tell you a giant scale is less effected by grass fields and 15 mph winds. You can also "feel" the inertia a heavier model carries. Again, for better or worse, and it is a matter of wing loading of the design as well.

I stay away from things with retracts or flying wires because I don't need my life complicated with those aspects. But that is a scale issue more than a size issue . . . if you follow.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 PM
psb667

Go to the field and fly them. Get your ama card so you actually are responsible and no one can give you a hard time. if you hurt someone then take your lumps and own up to them. If the old guys razz you and you cant handle it fly somewhere else.
ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

Hello,

I'm 15 years old.
I want to start flying warbirds, but the comments I hear at my field about me flying airplanes like warbirds are really making me mad, and making me mad because they base age on what airplanes i should be flying.
I have waayyyy more experience flying these things than they think. I try to let what they say go in one ear and out the other.

So my main question is, what do other people think about a 15 year old flying a Don Smith B-17 bomber or Nosen P-51?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 PM
psb667

or come up with some nuts and fly at that field and ignore them if you are good enough then be good enough.
ORIGINAL: psb667

Go to the field and fly them. Get your ama card so you actually are responsible and no one can give you a hard time. if you hurt someone then take your lumps and own up to them. If the old guys razz you and you cant handle it fly somewhere else.

Hello,

I'm 15 years old.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 AM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

see I am guessing its comments like frankhawks that are pissin you off ??? sure they are, just blow em off

I am 24 and I fly alot of 3d, thats what most expect (old timers mumble and grumble all you want, just becasue my fingers are fast doesn't mean we arent safe) .. but I also fly pattern with my 2M ys 140 powered focus.. love aero towing and high start gliding with my dad ( 4m discus and turbo prop tucano)
and REALLY DIG flyin sorties with MY WARBIRDS, weather it be my ultra micro p-51 or my monster comparf F4U-1D Corsair with moki 215 radial..

it doent matter at all what you fly.. I small electric could easily kill someone and thats all a chance we take, weather your an idiot or flyin at the TAS and have a spektrum lockout IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE,, NO MATTER WHAT YOU FLY

SO boss, dont ask for permission/advise in a public forum unless you want to hear everyones opinion weather stupid of very helpful

good luck with your decision on the plane you will get,, HAVE FUN WITH IT,, BE SAFE,, and you worry about you, not what anyone else thinks..

OH p.s. look at youtube and put in "RC WARBIRD CRASHES" the same old timers that are hasslin' you, are the ones planting there grossly overweight and under powered, chain saw converted, 1984 kit built WB, because they forgot how to do a PREFLIGHT and roll it right in the ground and then blame it on this NEW crap technology called 2.4

RACE

Old 06-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: FrankHawks

Just because you turn 16 doesn't mean you get the keys to the Corvette.

The same is true with airplanes.

Those planes could kill an entire crowd of people. Its not just skill that is needed, its maturity, judgement and more life experience than you might think.

Might I ask how a 15 year old can afford such models ?

Well said. [sm=lol.gif]

I'm 44 and have been flying full size private aircraft since I was at age 12. Am I ready to fly a fighter or commercial jet or a WWI or WWII bird? No! Would I like to? Heck yea, put me in a restored Bf-109 or Focke Wulf 190 any day. Heck, I wouldn't mind flying any Edge or Extra for fun. But I know darn well every plane is different, and I need additional training or briefing on each different bird I fly, just to be safe.

I have about 8 years of flying R/C, I've flown and owned trainers, Warbirds, Sport and scale. Am I ready for a extreme racer like the Great Planes Viper 400 or some high preformance Jet? Am I ready for a multi-engine plane? The answer is no.

This hobby for me gets to be too expensive when I rush into things. ( I keep buyng planes because the aircraft was a little less forgiving and my reactions on the controls didn't give me time to think.)

It happened to me once with one aircraft, so I listened to the "Ol Timers" even when I thought better. As a result my planes are lasting 2-4 years longer right now. Not just one season anymore.

I've seen people come and go in this hobby, they get frustrated and don't ask for help or suggestions and wind up quiting, not to return again. I always found it harder to re-control a less forgiving plane out of control than a plane a forgiving plane out of control.

So like many, I have to ask the same question... " What's the rush? "

We aren't suggesting things to piss you off. We have all been where you are at, you are not unique. People say I'm a real good flyer, but I know in my heart I'm far from it.

One yang when I should have yinged that almost caused a terrible accident at one airshow I attended last year. I was flying inverted low to the ground with my Seagull .90 Extra 260. I lost control for 3 seconds and the plane started heading torwards a crowd of spectators. I managed to re-gain the control of the plane out of instinct and diverted a accident that would have caused serious injuries and placed another black mark on this hobby.

I was so shaken up I asked the AMA Officials for my forgiveness about 10 times. They forgave me and invited me to dinner that night. To this day it still scares me when I think about it. And I'm still embarrassed to talk or write about it.

But you know what I learned? I'm not ready to do crazy stunts or show off at airshows, I'm not a Pro....YET. Seriously, I'm not as good as I thought and thank God I didn't hurt or kill anyone because I didn't humble myself in time.

Good Luck Race, we are here for you. Climb up one step at a time, not 4 or 5 at a time. You will wear out less and might stick around longer. [8D]

Pete
Old 06-05-2010, 05:06 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the money to buy what is needed, can fly while complying with all club and AMA regulations, what are you concerned about?

Oh, you are concerned about what other people "think" of you. Get over that notion very quickly. You have no direct control over what other people think and if you learn how the system works and use it to your advantage, no one will ever be able to stop you from doing whatever it is that you want to do - except making other people think as you want them to. That one drives lots of folks crazy. Don't be one of them.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 AM
LargeScale88

And thats what I keep telling these people at my club. As long as i fly SAFELY and RESPONSIBLY. If I smash it and go pick up my pieces, its my problem, not theres, they aint loosing anything.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:15 AM
ARUP

Well I think I'm matured up way more than kids my age. I always fly safe, by the rules, safety comes first. I guess i could say I'm smart because I'm taking college classes right now as a sophmore in high school. I was just wondering what other peoples opinion was. My grandpa thought the same I did. People judge what you can fly by your age, and how long you have been flying, so if they have never seen you fly a warbird, they don't think you can, when you actually can, so thats why I asked.

One reason why I was getting kinda mad is because I said they judge what airplanes you can fly based on age, even though they have never seen you fly before.

And don't ever worry, i'm always safe. I'm actually a safety officer at my field. I've been talking with numerous people about the different flying characteristics in warbirds, so its not like i'm going up in the air with absolutely no idea what the heck i'm doing. I've got lots of brain experience it terms of ground checking, i know about stalls, i test the stall rate on new airplanes, i make sure dual and high rates are set right, i program flap and elevator mix, rudder and aileron mix, and more. So I got the talent, brains, and flying experience to fly these bigger ones.

You asked where I get the money to afford all these expensive airplanes?
- I'm working 32 hours a week at an electrical company with my dad, we make electric circuit boards for cell phones, programming, and more.

I program my servos, and re-program recievers sometimes, have all the 2.4 systems hooked up.

Overall, I got the brains, experience, and talent with maturiy and safety.

Thanks
As the folks have said it is experience and desire, not age, that determines what you fly! The question about how you afford these airplanes is a little obtuse and I wouldn't have dignified it with an answer. Have fun and don't let the 'grownups' spoil your fun!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi

I'm 51.

In this case be respecfull and don't break any rules.

I say show all these old farts they're wrong. That's what I always do. Even today when the old farts tell me I can't do something. I do it.

End of story.

Steve
Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 AM
LargeScale88

Good way to put it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.