Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cordless drill for engine starter

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cordless drill for engine starter

Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Cordless drill for engine starter

I also bought a Sullivan Megatron at a garage sale for $100 that looked real nice. I knew the original deceased owner and watched him start his DA50's many times with the starter on 12V
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That's an expensive starter too. I've gotten several of them over the years in large lots, and I bought my first basic starter on Ebay for about $10. I totally get it when a new flyer doesn't want to spend more money on support equipment than he already has on the airplane, but this is an area where the only safe and reliable way to save money is to learn the skills of hand propping an engine. Most of us use electric starters for a good reason- hand propping is hard to do. There's nothing worse than being out at the flying field on a great day and have to mess with an engine that doesn't want to start.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Thunderhawk09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv got A Freind Thats BeenFlying For 7yrs Using Mine To Give A Opion And He AlreadyHas Said That He Would Rather Use My Adapter WithA Drill He Already Has THan Tote A Starter And Battery Around To Start His Plane He Likes ItSo Much I Cant Get Him To Give It Back It Looks LikeI May Have To Make Another One For Myself ImNot Saying its For Everyone If You Got To Buy A Drill To Them Its There Choice But IAlready Had A 14.4 Dewalt Cordless And A Dw100 Corded Drill To use it withItWiththe cup Coste 10 Buck AndThe Holesaw Cost 29.96 I Think It Was With tax And Time To make It 15 to 20minSo 39.96 and 20min is worth it to me not drag a battery around just giving people a option thats all
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Thunderhawk09

Iv got A Freind Thats BeenFlying For 7yrs Using Mine To Give A Opion And He AlreadyHas Said That He Would Rather Use My Adapter WithA Drill He Already Has THan Tote A Starter And Battery Around To Start His Plane He Likes ItSo Much I Cant Get Him To Give It Back It Looks LikeI May Have To Make Another One For Myself ImNot Saying its For Everyone If You Got To Buy A Drill To Them Its There Choice But IAlready Had A 14.4 Dewalt Cordless And A Dw100 Corded Drill To use it withItWiththe cup Coste 10 Buck AndThe Holesaw Cost 29.96 I Think It Was With tax And Time To make It 15 to 20minSo 39.96 and 20min is worth it to me not drag a battery around just giving people a option thats all

Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like you said, if you already have the drill, the adapter isnt a big deal. I started many a cantankerous G-62 with it. I dont use it that often but it sure helps when debugging an engine problem.
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85605.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1850826  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Thunderhawk09

Yeah That Was AReply To Jester Though He Was Dising The Idea Of A Unproven Untested Device I Just Let Him Know That Its Got One Persons Aproval
Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM
SUPERBROMO

Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
Any one figure out how to use a 18 or 19 volt cordless drill to start their Gas Engine?
I use a black and decker corded drill with the basic starter wand to start both my redcat 1 10s no problem. Basic buy at any Walmart or home improvement store. Unsure of rpms or voltage but they're a bulk stock item and it's been good for almost 4 months now... so.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP said a gas motor, but meant glow. I made one many years ago with a 9.6v battery, and it did not start anything I had at the time, all glows, as they still are. Maybe it was on the low speed or something? I still have it around and should try it again with an 18v one. I don't like the cord on the Sullivan or whatever I have. I thought the drill was ok, and handy to be at the field. Superbromo, welcome to the forum.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:48 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

What's with all the old thread bumps lately? Weird.

I use a Hobbico .90 starter for my airplane engines (up to 1.20 4/cycle) and inboard marine engines, a Losi hex-keyed starter for my Losi monster trucks and regular pullstarters on my 1/10th scale nitro stadium trucks.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:20 PM
csturgeon80

Default A Super ghetto trick.I've used in a pinch.

I've used this technique multiple times when a pull starter breaks on my cars, boats and 2 different helis (pull starters and electronic starter assemblies fail on occasion... but if you're like me and to impatient to wait for parts to arrive..and you have the capability of accessing the back of the engine...a one way nut that fits the shaft (such as the ones used within a broken pull start assembly) can be utilized as a last resort...use a socket to fit the nut and a long enough extension if necessary..and use a drill to start it up...(might have to chase the one way nut when it gets thrown off the staft a couple of feet but it beats grocery shopping with the wife..in my case I used my Makita 18v drill...but found the connection from drill to extension to socket has a bit of play which causes wobble...so if you have a drill driver (impact driver) and the appropriate adapter...there's hardly any play...way less weight on whole rig...and they turn up more rpm with less effort...works great especially for those of you who ain't got no quit in you.....

stumbled across a noname china cheapy engine I found in my attic that I used briefly 10 years ago...cheap ebay purchase and after one day the pull starter broke (recoil spring) ...thing was frozen solid but I degunked it and this video was my first attempt at trying to start it after my degunking efforts (disregard the lazy very temporary motor mount) lol...(honestly didn't think it'd work so was reluctant to waste much time on it and yeah.. the fuel I had was at least 8 years old (30% cool power) And it was one of the easiest starts you'll ever see on a resurrected motor...

Old 02-09-2020, 01:38 AM
Adelaseeri

Default My solution to using a drill as a starter

I recently converted a 50cc chainsaw engine to use on a plane, it has good power however the issue I always ran into was starting since it had a magneto ignition unit, it would start easily with any 500watt chorded drill however any drill that was chordless just wouldn't do the job wouldn't spin the magnet fast enough I tried several brands even went as far as trying a 36v drill, now the easiest and most cost effective solution that I found and this would start most gas engines, here is what I did, I got a cheap Chinese DC to AC converter, I got it dirt cheap, got a dirt cheap 500 watt drill that spins up to 3000rpm, (obviously there are chorded drills out there that will spin faster), hooked up the inverter to a 12v battery, connected the drill to the inverter and started the engine right up! Most chordless drills wont turn faster then 1500-1800rpm and that is where the problem is, hope my idea helps anyone that goes down the drill path.

Last edited by Adelaseeri; 02-09-2020 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 08-31-2020, 01:01 PM
sbingen

Default Battery Adapter

Just order one of these battery adapters from china and wire it to your starter so you can use your cordless drill's battery pack directly on your 12v starter. They can handle the 18V just fine.

I'm a new member so I'm not allowed to post links or images, but if you go to wish dot com and search for "New 18V Li-ion Batteries Convert to DIY Connection Line Output Adapter For Makita"

Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
Any one figure out how to use a 18 or 19 volt cordless drill to start their Gas Engine?

Last edited by sbingen; 08-31-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:10 PM
sbingen

Anyone else here think it's a bad idea to run an engine without a prop? No load to prevent the RPM's from spinning out of control, no airflow for cooling, etc.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:11 PM
sbingen

Anyone else here think it's a bad idea to run an engine without a prop? No load to prevent RPMs from spinning out of control, no airflow for heating, etc...

Originally Posted by Adelaseeri View Post
I recently converted a 50cc chainsaw engine to use on a plane, it has good power however the issue I always ran into was starting since it had a magneto ignition unit, it would start easily with any 500watt chorded drill however any drill that was chordless just wouldn't do the job wouldn't spin the magnet fast enough I tried several brands even went as far as trying a 36v drill, now the easiest and most cost effective solution that I found and this would start most gas engines, here is what I did, I got a cheap Chinese DC to AC converter, I got it dirt cheap, got a dirt cheap 500 watt drill that spins up to 3000rpm, (obviously there are chorded drills out there that will spin faster), hooked up the inverter to a 12v battery, connected the drill to the inverter and started the engine right up! Most chordless drills wont turn faster then 1500-1800rpm and that is where the problem is, hope my idea helps anyone that goes down the drill path.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:13 PM
sbingen

Isn't it bad to run a motor without a prop?

Originally Posted by csturgeon80 View Post
I've used this technique multiple times when a pull starter breaks on my cars, boats and 2 different helis (pull starters and electronic starter assemblies fail on occasion... but if you're like me and to impatient to wait for parts to arrive..and you have the capability of accessing the back of the engine...a one way nut that fits the shaft (such as the ones used within a broken pull start assembly) can be utilized as a last resort...use a socket to fit the nut and a long enough extension if necessary..and use a drill to start it up...(might have to chase the one way nut when it gets thrown off the staft a couple of feet but it beats grocery shopping with the wife..in my case I used my Makita 18v drill...but found the connection from drill to extension to socket has a bit of play which causes wobble...so if you have a drill driver (impact driver) and the appropriate adapter...there's hardly any play...way less weight on whole rig...and they turn up more rpm with less effort...works great especially for those of you who ain't got no quit in you.....

stumbled across a noname china cheapy engine I found in my attic that I used briefly 10 years ago...cheap ebay purchase and after one day the pull starter broke (recoil spring) ...thing was frozen solid but I degunked it and this video was my first attempt at trying to start it after my degunking efforts (disregard the lazy very temporary motor mount) lol...(honestly didn't think it'd work so was reluctant to waste much time on it and yeah.. the fuel I had was at least 8 years old (30% cool power) And it was one of the easiest starts you'll ever see on a resurrected motor...
Old 09-05-2020, 05:16 PM
Corsair3660

It would be bad to run without a prop if it were an airplane but he said its a boat engine and it kinda looks like he has a flywheel on it. Boat flywheels are usually kind asmall diameter but would have the same effect as having a prop on the engine.