Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ground clearance

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ground clearance

Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
shaggy48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ground clearance

How little clearance is too little? So I put a 55AX on my 40 size trainer and the prop is only about an inch maybe inch and a half from ground. Don't know if I can grease her in every time. And I'll probably be breaking props. What's a good minimum to shoot for. I have a 12x6 on there now.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: ground clearance

Might try an 11 X 7. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try putting the prop in the vertical position then lift the back of the plane to see the angle you will need to come in at to hit the prop, an inch is a bunch. I have one pattern plane with 1/2 inch clearance, sometimes I do have sudden engine stops though.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A key factor in how much is enough is the surface you fly off of and of course a grass field may need a bit more the a paved or a hard pack earth runway.

I second the 11x7 prop in fact the one I would prefer over a 12x6 for that engine anyway.

John
Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Assuming your trainer has "trike" undercarriage slide the nose wheel leg as far down as possible ensuring there is still sufficent in the top mount and bend the rear undercart in to lift and compensate for the higher nose leg. This way you should have sufficient clearance. When viewed from the side the model should have very slight positive incidence when you have finished bending and extending. If the clearance is still insufficient try a three blade prop.

Cheers,

Colin