Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Best linkage??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Spiritwind
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best linkage??

Can anyone tell me what is the best linkage to use for control surfaces on 1/4 scale. Thinking of using 4-40 rods and ball links...appreciate any advice..Thanks...Mike..
Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 PM
dignlivn

Default RE: Best linkage??

ORIGINAL: Spiritwind

Can anyone tell me what is the best linkage to use for control surfaces on 1/4 scale. Thinking of using 4-40 rods and ball links...appreciate any advice..Thanks...Mike..

I like ball links too, and 4-40 rods should be fine on
a 1/4 scale. IMO,

Bob
Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on the 1/4 scale?? Usually the 4-40 and ball links are a very good choice. Length of the rod often tells you what you will need. It really does depend on the plane though, a Cub doesn't require the same rods as an Extra.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's what I use. But when you say "best" you will get guys telling you the titanium threaded stud carbon fiber rods are necessary. Next best is probably a 0.095" rod with "Z" bends at exactly the right spots on both ends. Zero failure points but prone to slop from continued wear.

I like the horn end to have a silver soldered clevis and the ball link on the servo arm. A rod with adjustable ends on both ends can accidently loosen with vibration and use. A single adjustable end is trapped and cannot.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 4-40 ball links are great. Where possible though (which is almost always) , I go pull-pull on the elevator and rudder. A properly installed pull-pull is far more reliable, slop free and easily variable in throw and location.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:17 AM
heavy metal thunder

ORIGINAL: Spiritwind

The linkage you described is fine. I've used Z-bends and pull - pull in large scale aircraft and if done correctly they work fine. The only thing I don't use is the EZ-connectors, except on the throttle.