Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Radio glitch on new model...

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radio glitch on new model...

Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 AM
IronKnees

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio glitch on new model...

Hi all, Sorry it's been so long since I've been on here. Like everyone else, time seems to get away from me. I have a radio problem. I put the first flight this morning on my Great Planes Escapade. The plane flies like it's on rails and is quick to respond and very snappy. However, I am getting uncommanded aileron action once in a while, and doing a loop causes it every time.
One thing I should tell you is that because of the fairly small size of the plane, the antenna, which feeds into a tube inside the fuselage, is so long that I had to double it back. What I did was to come out the bottom, and attached the remaining length to the bottom of the plane right up to where the trailing edge of the wing bolts on. This puts the two lengths of antenna just an inch or less apart, and I know you are not supposed to double back like that, but I couldn't see anywhere else to go with it.

Now a confession. Once home, I re-checked all the connections at the receiver etc., and discovered that I had failed to put foam under the receiver. It was mounted directly to a wood trey. Guess that's what a lifetime of R/C flying will do. You get complacent.

Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions PLEASE HELP.. Thanks in advance. Dave
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Radio glitch on new model...

Let your antenna wire trail behind the plane so it gets its full length. If you are using servo extensions, replace them. And while you are at the chore, spray CRC contact cleaner(Radio Shack has it) or similar on all servo lead connections. Plus, use dental floss or similar small thread and tie your servo extension connections together so there is no chance they can get partially disconnected. Foam under the receiver is a good idea, but probably did not cause the problem unless the airplane vibrates excessively. Balance your prop.