Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Glow plug head stripped

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glow plug head stripped

Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow plug head stripped

I'll make this as short as possible. I send in a Saito 1.15 for repairs, comes back with glow plug cross-threaded,ruined. It's stripped as of now. Yes, I can send it back and try to prove "I" did'nt do the damage and wait another three weeks if i'm successful OR install a 1/4-32 Heli-coil. Cylinder head could be free replacement or cost me $124.00 bucks. My point, " will Heli-coils " work ? Anyone with expirience in the type of repair situation, please reply. MM PS, with 32 Saito's, this is the first time I've ever had this type of problem and many years of changing glow plugs safely. MM
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
tcrowson

Default RE: Glow plug head stripped

Mike,

A helicoil is a satisfactory repair. Clarence Lee advertises doing it. The only problem is finding the 1/4-32 helicoils and installation kit.

Good luck
Tas
Old 08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mr. Lee has installed them for me a few times over the years plus fixed up a hole or two I messed up myself. He goes way beyond very good work but you still have to send it in. Just a thought but if you picked up the phone and called Horizon I bet they would take care of it for you. Let us know what they say but they are usually very good about little things like this. The person that installed the plug is just like us and can have an oops!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:36 AM
MormonMike

Thanks guys. I have ordered a kit from Global products. Funny thing about was the guy taking the order knew right off what it was for and asked me so. Also, who is Clarence Lee ? And how do I contact him, also a phone number to him would help. Thanks again, MM
Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He advertises in the back of the AMA magazine. And also in another magazine or two.

Now onto the good part, you ordered heli-coils from Global products, Do you have a link or anything to this company, as i have had no luck finding 1/4-32 Heli coils around me.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

C.F.Lee Mfg.Co.
10112 Woodward Ave.
Sunland, CA 91040
(818)352-3766
Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup the heli coils are completely effective. I have two engines One an OS controlline engine still sporting a heli coil installed by Mr. Lee a good many years ago. I beleve his price is still about ten bucks if you send him a head disassembled.

Historically it has not been practical for one to just go buy the installation kit to do a head or two because of the pricing by Helicoil of that size. Thats why Mr. Lee has had such an amazing cottage industry for so long doing doing glow plug heads.

You will find it interesting to do a little further research on MR. Lee and search names like Veco, K&B among others and you will find he is in fact one of our model airplane engine pioneers with an amazing history. Its worth a few extra minutes.

John[8D]
Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 AM
w8ye

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Hewey19

This is sorta off topic but I saw a Saito blow out the glow plug at the field the other day. He hadstarted it and was just about to taxi out. He gunned the throttle and there was a pop that sounded just like a 22 being shot. We all run over to look and the glow plug is completely gone. Never did find it. Ihave never seen an enginedo that before.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 AM
w8ye

I was standing behind a Magnum four stroke and it shot a glow plug right past my face. I never did find the plug. The head was not hurt. I put in a new plug and went on to fly. I assumed the other plug was loose and unscrewed?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Hewey19

Yes, I think it was loose. It looked like it pulled out the last circle of thread but the new glow plug went in and tightened up no problem and flew fine the rest of the day. It is forever going to make me thing twice about having my head in line with a glow plug though.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM
crossman

I've never lost a plug on the ground, but I once landed a dead-stick and found the plug missing. I never bothered looking for that one.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Gray Beard

People don't give it a lot of thought but the threads are cut into aluminum and we are tightening them in with a four way T wrench. I have worked on engines that you could see the threads were getting pulled out. Mr. Lee is still making the K&B hop up engines and I was told he was still selling the kits for them. Talk about smoken!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 PM
MormonMike

Sorry for the delay, It was a long day at work. It's GLOBAL STORES GROUP, Fastner div. Phone number 1 888 472 1081 Part number 34040-32. You get 10 coils plus the tools to install them. $32.55 for the kit. Web site is www.allfasteners.com I don't know how to post it direct like you guys do here on RCU. One more question, it's a long coil to install. There's not many threads to begin with in the head of the engine. Should some of those threads be cut off so as to not stick too far down into the combustion chamber? Thanks guys, MM
Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
MormonMike

Well wadaya know, it did come up as a direct post to the site !! Will wonders never cease ! MM
Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Gray Beard

I have never tried to install HCs in a model engine but when I used them in auto engines the tool that came in the kit fit into the coil then you gave it a snap and it was flush with the top of the hole. If you have anything sticking up the plug isn't going to seat all the way down. The ones Mr. Leed did for me are flush.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:27 PM
MormonMike

Well, It worked. Just "peachy". And when it comes time to replace the plug, those heli-coil threads are much tougher than the aluminum head originals. Did have to trim about a third of the coil off to be the right length though. Off to the flying site ! MM
Old 08-14-2010, 07:28 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool[8D]
Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner