RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Robart Hinge Replacement - Getting the old out? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/10013964-robart-hinge-replacement-getting-old-out.html)

rcfan450 09-19-2010 11:18 PM

Robart Hinge Replacement - Getting the old out?

Title pretty much says it all. How do I get the old robart hinges out w/o damaging things? Here's a video of my problem and why I want them out...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dedAHC84Ea0[/youtube]

vasek 09-20-2010 12:03 AM

RE: Robart Hinge Replacement - Getting the old out?

1- cut with dremel disc to separate the 2 parts

2- use a sharpened brass tube to cut around the cut hinge to extract

rcfan450 09-20-2010 12:14 AM

Thanks. I figured #1 out, #2 is where I was scratching my head.

MinnFlyer 09-20-2010 06:45 AM

Since #1 is loose, I would try pulling at #1 until #2 popped loose, Then #3, etc.

Once the elevator is removed, twist the hinges with a pair of pliers to remove them

rcfan450 09-20-2010 09:08 AM

The slack is within the hinge point, not the glued part of the hinge within the wing. So just pulling on it would rip the wood out of the wing I'm afraid. I see what you are saying though, that would work if the hinge was slipping within the elevator.

Flyin Beagle 09-20-2010 09:41 AM

If they are still glued in solid, just cut them off flush with the covering and install new ones in between the existing hinges. Dont take the chance of screwing up the control surface by drilling out the old ones.

Do you have any idea what cuased this? Are the hinges undersized for the plane? Have you flown this plane so much that they have just become sloppy. Just curious, Inever thought that you could actually wear these things out.

rcfan450 09-20-2010 09:47 AM

It's a 50cc in a 35cc plane with 85 flights on it. The prop has always been mounted parallel to the rod, which I just read in my AMA magazine is a no-no and causes vibration. So vibration is the cause. I do know how to balance a prop so that isn't the issue.

If I can get one out ok, then I'll take them all out. Otherwise, I do like the idea of just cutting them flush and installing new ones.

vasek 09-20-2010 10:05 AM

if you cut them out don't forget to glue a dowel in the hole before re-drilling for new hinges ;)

Chad Veich 09-20-2010 11:30 AM

I drill them out with a piece of sharpened brass tube chucked up in a drill. Then, I go up to the next size brass tube and use that to cut a dowel from a block of balsa which will then be a perfect fit for the hole left over after removing the hinge. Works perfectly every time!

rcfan450 09-20-2010 11:59 AM

Does any ol hardware store have the brass tubes? I'm assuming they do, will go there today.

summerwind 09-20-2010 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Flyin Beagle

If they are still glued in solid, just cut them off flush with the covering and install new ones in between the existing hinges. Dont take the chance of screwing up the control surface by drilling out the old ones.

agree, and this is by far the most logical solution, especially since this is a shaker of an airplane.

Chad Veich 09-20-2010 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: rcfan450

Does any ol hardware store have the brass tubes? I'm assuming they do, will go there today.

All of the local Ace Hardware stores I've been in have a K&S display which includes brass tube. I concur with the statements above regarding simply installing new hinges if it is an option.