RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Where to get rolled paper tubes for CF wing tubes? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/10031304-where-get-rolled-paper-tubes-cf-wing-tubes.html)

Sessholvlaru 09-27-2010 03:49 PM

Where to get rolled paper tubes for CF wing tubes?

I have plenty of sources for wing tubes, but what about the rolled paper outer tubes? Model rocket tube possibly? Are you guys making your own? If so, how do you go about it? Thanks.

Gray Beard 09-27-2010 04:19 PM

RE: Where to get rolled paper tubes for CF wing tubes?

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

I have plenty of sources for wing tubes, but what about the rolled paper outer tubes? Model rocket tube possibly? Are you guys making your own? If so, how do you go about it? Thanks.
Outer tubes?? are you asking about the tubes we run our servo wires through??

Top_Gunn 09-27-2010 06:18 PM

One way to make rolled paper tubes is to wrap the paper around a broom stick, glue the edges (Elmer's is OK), then slide it off the stick. This is for tubes for servo extensions, which don't need much strength.

Sessholvlaru 09-27-2010 06:24 PM

No, I mean the outer tubes that you would slide a carbon fiber wing tube into.

Charlie P. 09-27-2010 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Imake my own own out of white paper wiped with Titebond II glue. Filed teeth in the end of a 1/2" copper pipe to cut the clearance holes.

OOp sorry - Ididn't read down far enough. As far as Iremember all the kits I've done with wing tubes came with a formed sleeve.

Gray Beard 09-27-2010 09:26 PM

After I read your post again it hit me, sorry, sometimes these brain farts get a lot worse. I have gotten carbon fiber tubes from Central Hobbies that had the correct ID to allow my wing tubes to slide into. I have used the cardboard from the rolls of Ultracote. Central even has the wing tubes as a set or kit.

Sessholvlaru 09-27-2010 09:31 PM

Thanks Gray Beard. I am perusing Central's website but can't seem to find wing tubes...

Gray Beard 09-27-2010 09:47 PM

My catalog is from 2004 but in the catalog they are on page 12 and called wing tubes and sockets.

42etus 09-27-2010 09:56 PM

I make my own out of fiberglass cloth. Cut it to size, saturate it with epoxy and wrap in onto the wing tube. Coat the wing tube with Vaseline first and work with latex gloves.

yojoelay 09-29-2010 06:09 AM

Ditto on making your own outer tubes from fiberglass however I've only done it with larger diameters (25mm).

Very lightly grease the 'male' tube with vaseline then wrap a piece of waxed paper around 1.5 times over the greased tube. The greased tube will cling to the wax paper holding it in place. I wouldn't recommend letting the vaseline come into contact with the epoxy. Use a small piece of tape if you need to hold things down.

Leave part of the tube uncovered and ungreased to give yourself a handle for separating later. Saturate cloth and wrap as described above to make the 'female' tube. Hand sand the finished article lightly wearing gloves and a dust mask to take off the pointy bits and then twist them to separate (gloves again). You might need a mate to help twist. Sometimes a really big mate.

The waxed paper will pull out of the new tube after they are separated. Make sure there are no rough edges on your inner tube to hang up on when you separate them.

Good luck

Sessholvlaru 09-29-2010 11:21 AM

Thanks guys for the advice. What weight cloth would I want to use?