RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   what is the best RC transmiter out there? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/10061506-what-best-rc-transmiter-out-there.html)

scooterinvegas 11-23-2010 11:01 PM

RE: what is the best RC transmiter out there?

I just don't get it. For years modelers have been flying very successfully on one 72 MHz channel. Never having a problem with my 72 MHz radio, I feel very confident knowing that I am "locked" on to two channels. Why would you feel more confident with your receiver jumping from channel to channel to channel to channel? The biggest problem with Spektrum technology, was the fact that they had a ridiculous long lag time recovering from a brownout. That has since been solved, and today's Spektrum receivers return from a brownout instantly. So what's the problem? The only other issues I can think of is, people having problems with a soft bind on the lower end park type receivers, and not setting the servo end-points so the servos don't bottom out causing voltage spikes . Again that is a user error! I've personally run 6 volt battery packs (fully charged), and have never seen any of my receiver lights blinking after a flight, ever. My DX7 does everything I ask it to, and have no intention on changing anytime soon. So you guys can keep on arguing like a group of blue haired, wrinkled up old gossip queens..........with all due respect.........of course. :D

Oh ya, Spektrum haters putting Spektrum modules on their Futaba controllers is just flat out funny. :)

hotspot 01 06-17-2011 03:56 AM

JR have the dmss range out in June and more to follow later in the year telemetry as standard.

victorzamora 06-17-2011 04:32 AM

I don't know if anyone at this point can argue for anything other than the Futaba 18MZ.  Honestly THE most technologically advanced radio out there......if only I had the cash!!

sensei 06-17-2011 04:56 AM

The one you can afford and practice flying with the most. :)

Bob

K-Bob 06-17-2011 06:22 AM

Oh. I'm sorry. Excuse me. I was l;ooking for the best 2 stroke oil thread.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/72_72.gif

stevenmax50 07-01-2011 04:28 PM

bet I spent alot less for my Airtronics rds8000 than any Futaba and it does everything I can do and then some.  So, for the money, its the best for me.

byrne1157 10-19-2011 07:08 PM

I have said it before, all the "High-Dollar, Name-Brand, only sold at a dealer" equipment kept me on Free Flight, or Control Line planes. I just couldn't seem to justify tying up a lot of money in one Tx-Rx set. Then one day, The Greatewst Pilot of all looked down, and said " Let there be internet, and direct shopping on it, and let it include R/C planes, radios, and all other things! At last!!! The clouds parted, the winds slowed down to just a whisper of a breeze. I was free at last!!! The first radio I purchased was a Turnigy 9X, and some extra rx's. I read the pdf manual, and figured out how to program it. it does everything I have asked of it so far. I don't think I will ever need to buy that 14mz, or is it 18z? it doesn't matter, Now I can use the money saved to buy more planes!!!

byrne1157 02-20-2012 12:30 PM

If your wallet is fat, and you don't mind spending alot cash on a radio setup, go ahead with one of those Futabas, JR, Spektrum, Airtronics or some other high dollar, "name brand"  radio. <div> If you want the most bang for your buck, check out www.hobbyking.com, and look up Turnigy's TGY9x. I got mine for $53.00+shipping. </div><div> I have over 100 flights on it, and not one single problem yet. Plus you can get 6 channel rxs' for it for about $8.00. I have several in different airplanes, and they all work great!</div><div> If you want to expand the transmitters model memory, and programming options, you can purchase a "Smartieparts" board and add it . This allows you to change the firmware at will. Firmware is available on the internet, since it is all "Open Architecture". Mixes are unlimited. Switches are user assignable. model memory increases from 8 to 16.</div><div> What a wonderful radio!!! (And it didn't break my bank, or cause a divorce because I took out a mortgage to buy it)!!!</div><div>
</div><div>Blue Skies, Calm Winds, and Soft Landings...</div><div>
</div>

jcvt 03-17-2012 03:03 PM

This radio performs much better than it looks , I have been using it for two year without a single glitch. However I do not feel confortable using it and just use it on small planes. It feels like toy, the wires inside are soo thin, the battery doe not hold charge as good as others radios, even the wall charger has cable that are too short for me.

Gray Beard 03-17-2012 03:41 PM

All this time and the thread is still going strong. I was a Dodge guy but I own a Chev. and a Ford these days. Whatever works for you. I bought my Futaba 9-C a couple of years ago when they first came out, or was that decades aqgo? It still works great and I have upgraded it with a Hitec 2.4 module, found a good place to buy my 2.4 RXs and I'm still able to use it with my 72 RXs. I looked at new radios but to replace this old Futaba with another good radio cost too much. The module was $20.00 on sale from Hitec. Couldn't beat that deal with a stick!!;) There is something to be said about buying quality products that can keep up with the changing times. I have never had a regret about buying my 9-C. Buy the best you can afford today and have no regrets tomorrow.;)

jcvt 03-18-2012 08:17 AM

With the crisis most of small shops are closed and we are forced to buy on line which is a handicap. It happens that after having previus experience whith 8u, 9c,stylus or even 6xas the new models look and feel cheap. Seems to me that the last radio in that category is the 10c. Funny because the new guys consider it as dinosaur.[&o]

Gray Beard 03-18-2012 10:28 AM

I have a friend that can no longer fly and was offered his old JR 10. I declined because I never cared for the way you had to program it. I liked my 9-C a lot better just for the ease of programming. Just a choice thing but it would still be a good choice for converting over to 2.4 and like my Futaba you can still use your 72 gear. It's all choice. I always told my students to buy the best they could afford, your radio is the one thing that will stay with you for decades. Choose wisely!!

Red B. 03-18-2012 10:44 AM

IMHO the most versatile transmitter is the Multiplex MC4000. Although an old radio that is not manufactured any more, it still outperforms all modern transmitter I know of when it comes to programming complex setups.
As for the new radios, I think the Graupner MC32 is hard to beat.

rcjunky67 03-18-2012 12:15 PM

Gentlemen if I may, 3 and a half yrs ago I myself faced this same delima. I'd made my mind up to buy a tx that I could grow with. My choice was the Hitec AURORA 9, and I never looked back.To date I'only noticed one problem with my choice.You see, I had as of yet joined a club when I purchased my 9. The problem was this, when I did join a local club, everyone was using DX7's . And me and my tx may have just as well been from mars... I wasn't able to hookup with anybody elses radio for training flight's and nobody there could help me figure out any of the programming functions. But to be totaly honest, it was for the best. I know this system very well and have the upmost confidence in it's abilliy's as well as my own.Just my own experience, food for thought