RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   TIght Wing Tube (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/10436913-tight-wing-tube.html)

Mr_Grump 04-01-2011 02:03 PM

TIght Wing Tube

HI Everyone

I have a large Gee Bee. The metal wing tube is very tight. Tight enough that I'm concerned when I separate the wings.

I've tried some candle wax but it didn't seem to help much. Any ideas?

Thanks

red head 04-01-2011 03:39 PM

RE: TIght Wing Tube

Clean it off completly ( dish soap works ) then spray it with " ELECTRONIC " spay I use " CRC ", you can get it at most auto parts stores. I would also spray inside the reciever tube and run a cleaning rag in it . Hope this helps. ENJOY !!! RED

Mr_Grump 04-01-2011 04:13 PM

Thanks Red. I'll give it a shot

jetmech05 04-01-2011 04:42 PM

you can try powered soap stone or talcum powder

Lnewqban 04-01-2011 05:07 PM

Are you sure that the tubes and pockets are straight in line?

Gray Beard 04-01-2011 06:27 PM

How old is the plane?? How often used is more the question. I have one with a tight wing tube. I ran steel wool attached to a long brill bit attached to my drill and cleaned out all the old gunk, there was a lot. Then I cleaned off the wing tube and used some IVORY soap on it for a lube. That loosened it up enough to slide without too much force. If it's a new plane then as LNEW mentioned, there may be a slight alignment problem?

Mr_Grump 04-02-2011 03:16 AM

Thanks Everyone. I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

It is a new plane. Never flown. It's an inexpensive import, 27% Gee Bee Y.

I have to lean towards the alignment problem as well. The right wing is snug but ok. It's the left wing that has an issue.

Maybe I'll try a combination of things. Using steel wool to clean out the guide tube would be a good start.

Thanks again to everyone and I welcome any additional suggestions.

Regards

Mr_Grump 04-02-2011 11:15 AM

I went to Lowes and purchased a 7/8" dowel, took a sheet of 150 grit sand paper, coated it with 3M-77, wrapped it around the dowel, run it through the wing tube a couple of times and now I've got a nice snug fit.

I was careful not to remove to much.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Gray Beard 04-02-2011 03:52 PM

Just an FYI but I have found several ARFs that have used a card board for the wing tube slots and I'm thinking maybe these tubes swell with moisture during shipping??? Not a lot but enough to make things just a bit tight. Just a thought??

Mr_Grump 04-03-2011 02:00 AM

Good point and thanks. I've had the plane for 6 months indoors and the wing guide tubes appear to be fiberglass.

Appreciate your input.