RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   If there was no ARF's, would you still be in the hobby? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/10535092-if-there-no-arfs-would-you-still-hobby.html)

Mustangman40 05-22-2011 05:39 PM

If there was no ARF's, would you still be in the hobby?

This is just a simple yes or nopoll..
If all ARF's went away and you had to build your plane or pay someone to build it, would you stay in the hobby..
This is just a spin off poll from the big thread, i am curious to see the results..

Phoenixangel 05-22-2011 05:53 PM

RE: If there was no ARF's, would you still be in the hobby?

I would have built all of them as kits if possible. The longer I fly the more I like to build from kits. It has become a good thing to do for an hour or two just relax after work. It may take months this way, but who cares, they are my months.

TedMo 05-22-2011 06:03 PM

Been in it for 65 years so not likely to ever quit.

summerwind 05-22-2011 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Phoenixangel

I would have built all of them as kits if possible. The longer I fly the more I like to build from kits. It has become a good thing to do for an hour or two just relax after work. It may take months this way, but who cares, they are my months.
you hit the nail on the head..............when i was younger it was nothing to frame anything i touched in just a few short days...........now it takes me a month to do a simple trainer, but it's very relaxing and enjoyable.
what really makes this hobby a lot more fun is the hardware and radio equipment that's available. there is something to make everything in the build process a lot easier.

Gray Beard 05-22-2011 07:08 PM

I started over 55 years ago and Almost ready to Fly was a plane one of the big kids crashed and gave it to one of us younger boys. I don't own an ARF, I bought one forth hand and got another in a trade, both of them were sold but I did like the Extra I bought forth hand, it flew very well, the air frame just wasn't holding together well enough. It was a 1/4 scale Creek Hobbies plane.

Mustangman40 05-22-2011 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ORIGINAL: Phoenixangel

you hit the nail on the head..............when i was younger it was nothing to frame anything i touched in just a few short days...........now it takes me a month to do a simple trainer, but it's very relaxing and enjoyable.
what really makes this hobby a lot more fun is the hardware and radio equipment that's available. there is something to make everything in the build process a lot easier.

Man, aint that the truth.. Seems like I really take the extra time to do things right, wasnt like that when i was young...lol

summerwind 05-22-2011 07:38 PM

i'm doing a lot of nostalgia stuff these days.
with the mini radio gear, lightweight wheels and such, one can shave half a pound instantly from the 20 size models that use to be overweight piglets back in the day.
the only 2 ARF's i have had all the hardware replaced with American made stuff too.

tschuy 05-22-2011 09:46 PM

To me 50% of the fun of this hobby, sport or what have you, is building the airplane. To me building from an ARF kit takes a part of the fun away. There's something about building from a box of wood and making it into an airplane that actually flies. Its that connection that keeps me in... An ARF takes that away...

Lamoilleriver 05-23-2011 04:54 AM

ORIGINAL: tschuy

To me 50% of the fun of this hobby, sport or what have you, is building the airplane. To me building from an ARF kit takes a part of the fun away. There's something about building from a box of wood and making it into an airplane that actually flies. Its that connection that keeps me in... An ARF takes that away...

+1

jp_boud 05-23-2011 06:40 AM

After I built and flew my first kit, I was hooked. I "borrowed" all the guts for that kit from an ARF, After that I gave the ARF away. Almost done with the wing on build #2, also pulled all my gear from an ARF and gave that airframe away too. I'm working on ditching all my ARF's. I love flying something I built. I also like how when I landed very poorly, I busted the wheel hub, but the gear block stayed in place. 100 times more durable than the best ARF!

cfircav8r 05-23-2011 08:54 AM

In thirty years and 20+ aircraft I have owned three ARF's and only have one left. It is hardly the same aircraft now as it has been totally rebuilt. I have nothing against ARF's, I just prefer to personalize my A/C and its more work to do that to an ARF. I truly believe if not for ARF's and RTF's we would not have the participation we do today. ARF's allow those that don't have the patience or desire to build the chance to get hooked and by the time they are hooked they often start to enjoy the extra work required to build.

David Bathe 05-23-2011 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Certainly!
Infact people brought up on ARF are missing out on so much. Never aquiring the skills to build/understanding model aircraft construction basically renders you impotent... at least flacid. For example, Im putting together a new F3A model and wanted to include a 42cm T-Can (one of those little wings you see attached just behind in cockpit) Now, because that sport is VERY weight conscious, there's a tendency to import one of the top end Carbon Fiber jobbies, 55g (not including the pylon) and yours for only €130!
Instead, I was able to build one out of scrap, 3 hours from drawing to finished article, cost NIL, finished weight 16g!!!

richardgerardi 05-23-2011 09:40 AM

I like kits better than ARFs so yes. I am almost sure that kits that built are stronger and fly much better. My opinion ofcourse

Flak 05-23-2011 03:09 PM

I understand why folks buy ARF's. I have a couple myself. I have a Seagull Models Harmon Rocket that flies great. I am finishing a Top Flite P-51D ARF that will be a great flying airplane. However, on both aircraft I did a lot of reinforcing and personal touches. I prefer to scratch build. It is time consuming, but very rewarding. I also like to kit build. I want to see ARF's held together with more than white glue. I will always be in this hobby. [sm=omg_smile.gif][sm=47_47.gif][sm=49_49.gif][8D]

Oberst 05-26-2011 03:36 PM

Don't know. I was building kits until the ARF came into production, now I don't build kits as much. But what your polling isn't going to happen so this "what if" is a good piece of fiction for sure.

I'm glad I have a choice. I build a kit when I want to build, and put together ARF aircraft if I want to fly rather than being stuck in the house building. However, I've seen some ARF aircraft that was so bad they became kits.

I think I wouldn't be so involved in this hobby if I had to build all the time, but yes I'd still be here at RCU starting fights against the Scratch Builders since I would no longer have to defend the rights of ARF builders.

Troll Poll!

Pete

Gray Beard 05-26-2011 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I fly with nothing but ARF people and they are all having as much fun as I do myself. For me it's not any problem what anyone wants to fly. I started building at a time {the 50s} when if you wanted to fly you learned to build. The hobby is modeling and building was something you had to do, these days I do it because I can. I posted up a thread on this build[kit cutting 101 in the building forum] it turned into a poop question, what can I say, it's RCU. My only point was to answer the question, Where have all the Kits Gone. Plans are cheap, wood is cheap, kit cutting is easy, it took under two hours to cut the kit for this 80 inch plane, the price when complete will be right at about $200.00 and if I don't do a screw up like I did with the other one I built it will be with me for decades instead of a season. ARFs can't hold up to the way I like to fly. I'm no longer spending 6 to 10 hours a day in my shop building, I epoxy a part and may go out the next day and epoxy another part. Today I spent three hours in my shop. I'm just starting to do the set up to build the fuse. You will not find an ARF built like this, it's strong but still light. The same Sukhoi 29 in the bigger size, 100 inch + is over a thousand bucks. Smaller and two hundred is a lot better. It's a personal thing but I enjoy flying something I put some of myself into. It's just me.;) To each there own!

Desertlakesflying 05-26-2011 06:40 PM

I'd still be in the hobby, but I like almost everyone else who has a job I wouldn't get to fly that often, and probably end up getting out of it because I have no time to build.

Flying would quickly become the realm of those who don't work their tails off.

Gray Beard 05-26-2011 07:46 PM

I have heard that a lot. I used to go to school full time, work 4 hours a day and build in the evening while I watched TV. When I got older I worked full time and came home, when my daughter went to bed I would build for an hour or two while watching TV. It took a long time to get a plane built but there were no ARFs so I had to build. Even if there were ARFs I didn't have enough loose money to buy one. Back then kits and glue were cheap, time was my own. Today I have no kids at home, I do have a lot of time but there still isn't enough money so I build from plans. I have had some bad building burn out and given ARFs a lot of thought. Then someone would mention a new set of plans and I would get my groove back on and buy some wood. People that say they have no time to build I can understand but I would at least be flying an ARF while I was building a plane. When I wake up in the morning I can't recall what I watched on TV anyway, TV is the death of the old gray mater.;)

hookedonrc 05-27-2011 04:43 AM

I appreciate the ARF's from the standpoint that I am not a very fast builder. It took me a loooong time to build my Somethin Extra, but I got it done. During that time, I flew ARF's to keep my skill up. I started a Hog Bipe and never finished it cause I burned out on the hobby. I took 5 years off and am now back. If I waited until I built a kit to fly, it might be a year more...LOL. And like a lot of people I know, I like flying more than building. I do both, but am primarily a flyer... I guess it really comes down to what you want out of the hobby, some people are flyers, some builders, and some are both. I know one of the members of our club can burn through a gallon of fuel in no time, but I have never seen a single kit build.

Aiden88 05-27-2011 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gray Beard, nice photo! However, I'll need to see a little more of "May 2011" for it to be a great photo. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Built one kit so far. I learned a lot and it really humbled me. What I mean by that is I really respect the works of art some of you guys have created. The wood part wasn't all that hard but the little things, the details, making it look scale, the paint, covering, etc., was a real challenge. My next kit will be a Sig 4*40 and I'm going to try the sheeted turtle deck, sheeted cowling, and contemplating fabric because I have it lying around. Push come to shove though I'll prolly chicken out and just domonokote.

Gray Beard 05-27-2011 07:27 AM

That's a great looking Cub. I just finished one for a friend, the CG anniversary Cub. I was so burnt out on building I was ready to place an order for a new ARF but he really wanted the CUB so I built it for him. Thank the maker I did or I wouldn't have started my own build and it's starting to take shape now. I do wish I would have cleaned my shop before I started this build though, it looks like a beaver cut up a tree out there and you can't walk without stepping on something. If you have the engine you may want to think about the 4*60 and remove a couple of wing bays. I use the 60 to teach building and I think it's a better build then the 40. They both fly the same but I find the 60 easier to see and I do like some of the features in the 60 kit. Some day I may even build one and not forget to install the shear web strip in one wing half.:eek: Don't ask, it's a me thing, sort of like how I always forget in install a servo wire tube in one wing half on my own builds?? Using a TEX covering on a 4* is a good idea, looks great and doesn't flash when the plane is in the sun. On a couple of the 4* builds I have used 1/64 ply to sheet the TD. There is nothing wrong with not sheeting the TD but I have been know to break a TD stringer when I have the fuse in my cradle unside down. Next months hinderpoo is a lot better, { I took a quick glance} so I will post a photo of the fuse build after I flip the page. ;)

Aiden88 05-27-2011 07:40 AM

I hear ya but I already have the OS52 four stroke sitting lonesome on the bench so I'm kind of pegged into a .40 size, and as you know, finding a .40 size sport kit anymore is getting tough.The 4 * seems toget a lot of praise.My 3rd kit planned for this winterwas going to be a .60 size... I'm leaning heavily towards a Super Sportster. I just think they look pretty sweet.

loser 05-27-2011 09:21 AM

I voted yes and saw the poll results but am reluctant to believe the numbers based upon what I see in my local clubs. 90% or more are esclusively ARF'ers and most/many of them do not have a CLUE how to do even simple repairs to a damaged plane. I have fixed some for guys and tried to explain to others how to make repairs. I really dont believe many guys younger than ~ age 25-30 or those who have only been in the hobby since ARF's have taken over would stick around if they had to build.

I'm not judging at all but i think its just a direct result of the younger generations growing up in a much different environment than I did (i'm 48). My buddies and I built plastic models, model rockets, control line, slot cars, etc, when we were kids....until a few of us eventually got into RC. I mean, how many young kids these days do any of that stuff on there own? They might do it in a scout program but doubt if it develops into a genuine interest.

It isn't hard to see when you visit almost any club field or event. The hobby is almost 100% about ARF's and flying these days. The actual builders/modelers are getting older and fewer....so sad. Again....not judging in any way....its just younger generations growing up in "different times" with different interests and "skills".

Gray Beard 05-27-2011 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Aiden88

I hear ya but I already have the OS 52 four stroke sitting lonesome on the bench so I'm kind of pegged into a .40 size, and as you know, finding a .40 size sport kit anymore is getting tough. The 4 * seems to get a lot of praise. My 3rd kit planned for this winter was going to be a .60 size... I'm leaning heavily towards a Super Sportster. I just think they look pretty sweet.
I used the SS as my teaching aid before someone pointed out the 4* series. It's an outstanding build and a great performer. It looks better then the 4* but it isn't as big of a floater. It stunts a lot better too. I got tired of building 4*s so I think I would like to start using the SS again. It's up to the owner though, not really my call. Loser, your pretty correct in what you said. I have done countless repairs to ARFs for people over the years. When I started building I was just a little kid, every make of plane ever flown was sold as a plastic kit. It rained a lot where I grew up so building models was something most of the boys did. Beat the heck out of board games and not everyone had a TV back then. If the ARFs of today just disapeared I really don't see very many of the guys I fly with ever building a plane just to stay in the hobby. I do see the guys paying someone else to build there planes for them though. It is just a sign of the times.

Aiden88 05-27-2011 10:19 AM

I see a heck of a lot of guys over 50 buying ARFs too...Somewhere along the way this hobby took a turn and ARFs grew to immense popularity and this happened when the custodians of this hobby, guys over 50, were in charge. What happened? Who let it happen? A huge portion of that generation switched to buying ARFs. Don't be so quick to blame kids who were a squirt in their daddy's pants when ARFs came along.But I degress... More than ARFs I thinkthe electric park fliers hurt. Theydon't need a bigairstrip and wide open spacesto fly and so there goes the club membership and no AMA card and no interaction with folks who may encourage themto build a kit.Inaddition, they can get their T-28 andthen a P-51 orP-47 and thereis nobody aroundto ask them if they know how to fly it.