RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Craziest thing you have done in this hobby (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/10723839-craziest-thing-you-have-done-hobby.html)

snaproll38 09-19-2011 06:08 AM

Craziest thing you have done in this hobby

What is the craziest thing you have done in this hobby? for me it was driving 2 hours round trip from the field to the lhs for a glow plug just to get one flight in...
dumping $500 worth computer upgrades to laptop so realflight can run at max settings just so i can "Go Mobile"

Oberst 09-19-2011 06:35 AM

RE: Craziest thing you have done in this hobby

Well my old club is only 15 miles away. I have forgot my radio once and had to drive back home to get it. I fly WWI birds and I have to make a hand written list so I don't forget anything.

Now if I forget anything, I'll have to just repack my car up and call it a day. My new club is 35 miles away. That's 70 miles round trip!

Pete

MajorTomski 09-19-2011 06:36 AM

Frizby tag with an 0.049 U/C. No one was injured in this pueriile act of stupidity.

MinnFlyer 09-19-2011 06:48 AM

Let's just say that mine involved a Graff Zeppelin, a tuba, a bowl of guacamole and a girl named Shirley

rgm762 09-19-2011 06:50 AM

became involved in it :D:D:D

Avaiojet 09-19-2011 06:50 AM

Flew a toilet seat back when I was 14. I'm now 65.

Oberst 09-19-2011 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Let's just say that mine involved a Graff Zeppelin, a tuba, a bowl of guacamole and a girl named Shirley

I don't want to know. :eek: LOL!

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Flew a toilet seat back when I was 14. I'm now 65.

That must have been a cr@py thing to do?

Pete

eagle1945 09-19-2011 08:01 AM

Flying a u-control #10 tin can w/a Mc Coy 35 in it </p>

andizzle 09-19-2011 09:08 AM

been working on hovering on our clubs flag pole and flying under our shelter building

said pictures of foamy madness on the flag pool

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c.../WP_000307.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...es/V__87AC.jpg

JohnBuckner 09-19-2011 10:02 AM

One of the more memorable was flying my Sig Skyray 35 controlline ship on floats standing waist deep in the water.

This was at Lake Havasu in 2000 and just before I had to use a wheelchair and at the time I was proped up with a cane. Most memorable indeed[8D]

John

Gray Beard 09-19-2011 10:14 AM

I was calling for Minn that day.:D

MinnFlyer 09-19-2011 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Gene, I think it was you that was playing the Tuba! :D

stevenmax50 09-19-2011 12:15 PM

Start a new build with 2 in progress already.  Of course, thats probably a pretty common thing to do.

JohnBuckner 09-19-2011 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well this was kinda of a kick this morning. Figured the only way I was ever gonna get to do it was go get myself a gun and use my own airplane.

The hard part is getting getting someone to fly my airplane so I can shoot, heck there was no lack of shooters when I was flying;)

dbacque 09-19-2011 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: eagle1945

Flying a u-control #10 tin can w/a Mc Coy 35 in it </p>
Hey, the guy down the road had one when I was a kid!

Gray Beard 09-19-2011 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Gene, I think it was you that was playing the Tuba! :D
Coulda been?? I can't recall. That sort of depends on what decade it was though.:D

smperry 09-19-2011 04:50 PM

What is the craziest thing I have done in this hobby?.............

Easy....I started .

sp

thepamster 09-19-2011 05:30 PM

I flew a r/c airplane, ugly stick I think, from the back of a pickup truck from Denton texas to Sherman texas, about 30-40 miles. It was not non stop though because I raised up once and the wind caught my antenna and blew my radio out of my hands and briefly lost control and the plane went inverted and died. I was using two large fuel tanks together with one rubber banded to the top of the plane.
  I was able to land and restart and continued on with no other problems. It was quite the adventure.

The Pamster

meeester 09-19-2011 05:31 PM

My 3 friends and myself were flying, and I was up for my turn with my A10 EDF. I happened to be bad at flying so I lost orientation and went into the trees. This broke the foamie into 4 pieces: canopy, main wing (intact), edf unit, and tail/elevator. The edf and tail were found easily, but the wing and canopy were different. The wing was in a tree 40 feet up. That was brought down with a tow-rope tied to the tree and alot of wagging/pulling. The canopy was 7 feet down in a huge drainage pipe 3 feet wide with stagnant water in the bottom. We were determined to get it out so we drove home to a friends house and picked up some climbing rope. After tieing it into a harness and setting up the rope for pulling easily, we lowered the willing friend into the pipe to retrieve the canopy. Nothing was damaged other than reglueing the plane.

TL;DR lowered a friend into a pitch black pipe with stagnant water to retrieve part of a plane.

snaproll38 09-19-2011 05:55 PM

That sounds like something I would do

snaproll38 09-19-2011 05:57 PM

I flew a r/c airplane, ugly stick I think, from the back of a pickup truck from Denton texas to Sherman texas, about 30-40 miles. It was not non stop though because I raised up once and the wind caught my antenna and blew my radio out of my hands and briefly lost control and the plane went inverted and died. I was using two large fuel tanks together with one rubber banded to the top of the plane.
I was able to land and restart and continued on with no other problems. It was quite the adventure.
that sounds like something i would do

pmerritt 09-19-2011 06:02 PM

I spent hours and hours building my Extra 300 ARF, making sure EVERY preflight detail was exact.  Throws, arms, linkage, trim, you name it.  All I had left to do was do a final tuning. That went perfect with a new OS engine.  Turned her off and politely proceeded to step on the damned tail and smash the crap out of it.  DUH. 

JohnBuckner 09-19-2011 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: thepamster

The Pamster

Cool a Cross Country enthusiast[8D]

mogman 09-19-2011 06:35 PM

Craziest thing????.... let's see. How about driving seven days from the west coast of Canada to Lakeland Fl. to fly at MonsterPlanes, spending three days there and driving seven days home again.....just over 11,000 km round trip.
Not just the one time, this October will be the fourth year!!

Charlie P. 09-19-2011 07:11 PM

Thought I could bring a fast sport model in full-throttle at eye level, roll to inverted, pass under a chin-level limbo and then flip to upright once under while still below eye level. 

Got it done about 75% as planned and then SMACKO! when a wing tip caught.  Live fast, die young, leave a wide expanse of small balsa bits.