RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Airplane car carrier plans. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/10893944-airplane-car-carrier-plans.html)

mranga 01-05-2012 06:48 PM

Airplane car carrier plans.

I'd like to be able to load up three planes (or at least two) in my car but Ihave a Corolla that can fit just one (with the back seat folded down). Ican't justify buying a larger vehicle just for the sake of the hobby and paying extra gas for it so I would like to build a car top carrier or something like that to lug planes around. The planes Iintend to lug around are mostly 40 size.

Does anybody have any plans/pics for such a carrier? Is one available commercially (so I don't have to fabricate it).

Thanks.

ES CONTROL 01-05-2012 07:47 PM

RE: Airplane car carrier plans.

O man. I have a  Sequoia, and have the same problem.<div>I dont know what to tell you. Sorry.  
<div>
</div></div>

davidgeorge212 01-05-2012 08:00 PM

I have a corrolla as well and can only fit one or two small planes in it. Most of the time I go to the field though is with my dad and he has an Astro Van so we take it because it can haul more planes. Anyway, It depends on how much you want to spend, but one option might be to buy or build a small lightweight single axel trailer that your car can pull. I know I have often thought about buying one to help me carry more planes to the field but havent gotten around to it yet.

LonnieMcc 01-06-2012 12:54 AM

Well one suggestion would be to get a used cargo carrier that straps to the top of the car. Only thing, it would put a limit on the size plane you can bring along. Unless you can modify it.

There was a guy once that had made one out of 1/4" plywood that could hold two 40 sized planes.

mranga 01-06-2012 04:44 AM

I am thinking of making one out of PVC pipe or L cross section aluminium that Ican strap to a bike rack (which attaches to the trunk of my car). The planes typically weigh under 10 LBs so Ido not see the need to build anything stronger. I will post a picture if Ican successfully build it. Any thoughs or suggestions welcome.

mranga 01-06-2012 04:47 AM

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

I have a corrolla as well and can only fit one or two small planes in it. Most of the time I go to the field though is with my dad and he has an Astro Van so we take it because it can haul more planes. Anyway, It depends on how much you want to spend, but one option might be to buy or build a small lightweight single axel trailer that your car can pull. I know I have often thought about buying one to help me carry more planes to the field but havent gotten around to it yet.
I thought about that too but am not quite sure that a corolla frame is strong enough to tow even a light weight trailer. One can buy an ultralight trailer for under $300.

kenh3497 01-06-2012 07:14 AM

You might have to bite the bullet and take the wings off. I have a pickup with out a bed cover. I remove the wings and can haul two planes in the smallish back seat.

Ken

Crash-RCU 01-06-2012 09:52 AM

Your Corrolla would be able to tow one of the small 4X8 foot lite trailers from Harbor freight. Just biuld a ite weight 1/4" ply box on it and you should be good to go, You will just not be able to haul concrete blocks with it, but for planes and other lite loads your Toyota has enough power. I probally would not haul it across country, but to area flying sites, no problem. If you do go the trailer route, get the 12" wheels.

SCOTT42 01-08-2012 08:03 AM

What some of the guys are doing around here is buying old pop up campers and striping them out to a bare shell, once done you can build slots for planes and wings and mount tool boxes inside. Once done you can just crank the top down and its sealed and out of the weather. They are light weight and very nice for airplane travle. Look on craigslist in your area and see if you can find one cheap, Im looking for one now.

Flyin Beagle 01-09-2012 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I second the vote for the small 4X8 trailer from harbor freight. Build and paint a light weight wood box and configure the inside to hold your planes. You can use PVC pipe to make the racks to hold the planes in the box. You may be very surprised to see how much you could get in a trailer like that. That trailer would not weigh much at all and wind resistence would be minimal as well.

Check this out. Scroll down a little.

http://www.xtremeflyer.com/forums/th...id=661&start=1

Also Look Here
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=57105

Build one of these to hold your planes.

deckerv 01-10-2012 11:51 AM

I'll third the vote on a light trailer. I had a 10' trailer once upon a time..and I would lug that around with a Chevy Lumina sedan :) It was about 6' tall too...so it had some wind resistance to it. Just make sure you put a transmission cooler in. A generic aftermarket one isn't very expensive.

Jetdesign 01-10-2012 03:16 PM

I've always been curious about the effect of bouncing trailers on RC planes. A trailer sounds great, but not if it causes damage.

Car-top carrier is tough - need the height at the rear for the rudder, and at the front for the prop/gear/canopy. Would have to be pretty darn big, and thus bulky and inefficient.

Somehow adding weight and shocks to a trailer maybe?

I've been thinking about this since I got started in this hobby a few years ago. I bit the bullet and got myself a pickup truck - can fit 2x 120 size planes plus a little park flyer/foamy in the bed, under a roll-up tonneau cover. Kept them dry over a 650mile trek through the rain when I moved.

I want a bigger plane, thinking about getting a cargo top and wedging the plane in at an agle if necessary (hopefully not though).

jamesc43 01-11-2012 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not going to be much help but can you send pics of what the car looks like and possible layout ideas. What size planes are you trying to squeeze
into the Toyota?

I have a Subrau Outback wagon. Here is a couple of pics from this past weekend. There is Balsa USA Pheaton 90, Hanger 9 P-51 Marie, Sig 4 Star 40,
Hanger 9 Pulse XT 40 (electric), a small electric we call the batplane, and lastly a Hirobo Freya SST-Eagle 90. I'd like to build a small PVC rack that can fill
the upper open cavity more wings or fuselages

mranga 01-12-2012 05:06 AM

Wow!That seems like an impossible number of planes to fit into a wagon. Unfortunately, Ihave a sedan for the most part but sometimes Ihave an SUV (which makes life a little easier). The planes are all "40 size". It is the "fixed wing"jobs (i.e. biplanes etc.)that cause issues because they take up the while space.

Ithink I'll spring for a small trailer and build an enclosure for it. (Ithink Ican have one all built and ready to go for &lt;500 bucks)

Crash-RCU 01-12-2012 08:25 AM

Ya gotta show some pictures of your final solution when finished. Looking forward to seeing it, have fun.

Edwin 01-12-2012 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
4x10 on a harbor freight frame. Honda Civic as tow vehicle. The trailer fully loaded is less than 500 lbs. Suspension is fairly stiff but none worse than my truck in the background (F350 dually, diesel, 4x4). I carry 2 giant scale or 3 or 4 .60 sized warbirds. Finished cost was about $650. Been using it about 6 years now.
Edwin

PS - Mileage drops to 27mpg from my 31mpg average.

bkdavy 01-12-2012 12:05 PM

Do the rear seats on the Corolla fold down to expose the Trunk? Many small sedans have that feature, but I don't know about the Corolla. If it does, you should be able to easily fit 3 or 4 40 size planes with the wings off.

Brad

Flyin Beagle 01-12-2012 01:07 PM

In reply to gaRCfield, I just finished my first season hauling my planes in a trailer. I have an enclosed 6X12 with leaf spring suspension. The trailer does bounce around quite a bit especially on the pot holed gravel road up to our flying field. Even with the harsh ride I have not noticed any ill effects to the planes from riding in the trailer. I secure all of my planes so that they can not move. I believe this is the key because it makes sure the trailer and the contents all move as one and therefore there is not any impact forces on the planes, its all taken up in the suspension. Its the same with my ski boat. If the stern of the boat is not tied down to the trailer, then when the trailer hits a severe bump the boat will jump up off of the trailer then slam back down on the bunks. If the stern of the boat is properly secured the entire trailer and boat will move as one unit and the suspension takes all of the impact both the initial impact as well as the subsequent "landing". Sure the boat feels all of the forces of the bump, but it is not that sharp impact of hitting a hard object like the floor of a trailer.

Another way to think of it is like this. If an airplane is allowed to bounce around in the trailer, everytime the plane and the trailer leave contact with each other when they come back together it is like hitting the plane with the trailer. You know which one is going to win that battle, so the key is to keep them from ever separating.

mranga 01-12-2012 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

Do the rear seats on the Corolla fold down to expose the Trunk? Many small sedans have that feature, but I don't know about the Corolla. If it does, you should be able to easily fit 3 or 4 40 size planes with the wings off.

Brad

Yes the seats fold down. However, my packing skills must be bad because Ican barely manage a single 40 size with the rear seat folded down.

mranga 01-12-2012 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Edwin

4x10 on a harbor freight frame. Honda Civic as tow vehicle. The trailer fully loaded is less than 500 lbs. Suspension is fairly stiff but none worse than my truck in the background (F350 dually, diesel, 4x4). I carry 2 giant scale or 3 or 4 .60 sized warbirds. Finished cost was about $650. Been using it about 6 years now.
Edwin

PS - Mileage drops to 27mpg from my 31mpg average.
Very nice! Looks really slick. Many good ideas here. I've been wondering whether there is a need to make the enclosure all that solid. After all, these planes weigh less than 10 Lbs for the most part. Why build and lug around a bomb shelter that sits on top of a 1000 lb capacity trailer? (Not saying your's is.) It would appear that even something like a Kayak trailer can be converted to do the job.

Edwin 01-12-2012 01:29 PM

My first choice was to find a ragged out pop-top camper. But those dried up when I started looking. I built my trailer out of 1/4" luann wood. Some call it underlayment. Glued with gorilla glue and brad nails. I did a build thread on it back about 2005 or so.
Edwin

Jetdesign 01-12-2012 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Flyin Beagle

In reply to gaRCfield, I just finished my first season hauling my planes in a trailer. I have an enclosed 6X12 with leaf spring suspension. The trailer does bounce around quite a bit especially on the pot holed gravel road up to our flying field. Even with the harsh ride I have not noticed any ill effects to the planes from riding in the trailer. I secure all of my planes so that they can not move. I believe this is the key because it makes sure the trailer and the contents all move as one and therefore there is not any impact forces on the planes, its all taken up in the suspension. Its the same with my ski boat. If the stern of the boat is not tied down to the trailer, then when the trailer hits a severe bump the boat will jump up off of the trailer then slam back down on the bunks. If the stern of the boat is properly secured the entire trailer and boat will move as one unit and the suspension takes all of the impact both the initial impact as well as the subsequent ''landing''. Sure the boat feels all of the forces of the bump, but it is not that sharp impact of hitting a hard object like the floor of a trailer.

Another way to think of it is like this. If an airplane is allowed to bounce around in the trailer, everytime the plane and the trailer leave contact with each other when they come back together it is like hitting the plane with the trailer. You know which one is going to win that battle, so the key is to keep them from ever separating.
I agree it is best to eliminate any impact between the airplane and the trailer, but a bouncing trailer still imposes forces on the airplane. Not saying it doesn't work, just saying it introduces some element of risk.

Edwin 01-12-2012 02:56 PM

I stressed over it for a few weeks before deciding it was a non-issue. In 6 years of using the trailer, the only time I had a bounce problem was when I didnt secure the plane on the cradles I built inside. My fault, not the trailers. Driving speed can keep the bounce under control. I figure someday I'll build another trailer at 11'x5', with a torsion suspension axle. That would reduce a lot of the stiff suspension problems.
Edwin