RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Airplane Restraint/Hold-Down (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1089694-airplane-restraint-hold-down.html)

Crash Master 08-26-2003 12:52 AM

Airplane Restraint/Hold-Down

Does anybody make those restraints that I see a couple fo the guys at my field using? These are the things that you nail down in the ground to hold the tail. I don't even know what these things are called.

Thanks for any input,

Steve Guinn 08-26-2003 02:19 AM

Are you referring to PVC pipe with insulation wrapped around it?

CP140 08-26-2003 02:31 AM

Made mine out of 3/4" copper pipe with two elbows and two end caps to form a "U". The used a length of threaded rod (with washers and nuts) through the horizontal part of the "U" to make the part that goes into the ground. Wrap with foam or pipe insulation and you're set.... cheap and easy...

The PVC would work too... I had the copper lying around

3DFanatic 08-26-2003 04:04 AM

PVC seems a little light. But it all depends on the aircraft size, I guess.

Juice 08-26-2003 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
At Home Depot I bought a 3' length of 5/16" music wire and a 3' length of pipe insulation. I remember using the change in my pocket to pay for it.

Use a Dremel to cut the music wire to the proper length and Duct tape the insulation do the top 2/3 of the music wire. I cut my music wire to 15" and the insulation to 10". It works perfectly for me.

Juice

vinnie 08-26-2003 11:13 AM

I hope you're not looking for any style points there Juice. :D

Juice 08-26-2003 04:24 PM

hehe... My hotdogs-on-a-stick are cheap and functional. No style points for anything except for airplanes.

Juice

MHawker 08-26-2003 07:04 PM

Has anyone tried those dog leash holders that screw into the ground?

DBCherry 08-27-2003 01:28 AM

I don't know Juice, no style AND they look like a pain to use. You have to either pull them up or lift the plane away from them to fly.

I bought one for about $18 shipped on eBay. One spike into the ground, but the uprights are hinged so they only fold one way. When you want to release the plane, you just pull it back about a foot and the restraint folds down. You're good to go. ;)

Until I bought this, I used a piece of rope and a large screwdriver. Worked almost as well. :rolleyes:

Dennis-

jettstarblue 08-27-2003 11:56 AM

Two pieces of 1/4" aluminum rod, bent 90 degrees about 2" from the end, and about 2' long.
Work them into the ground- the 90 works as a sort of "push handle". Also helps when pulling them out. Use foam for padding.
Push them into the groung so they are just wide enough to hold the tail, be sure to point the "handles" forward or you can remove the horizontal stab when vigorously picking up the plane- don't ask-

Jetts

RCPat 08-27-2003 12:13 PM

hold downs

Crash Master:

Home Depot has a garden hose hanger with insulated arms that I use at the field. I also use them to hang up my planes by the tail at home. They only cost a few bucks each.

Pat

RCPat 08-27-2003 12:39 PM

hold downs

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture - I hope.

Pat

RCPat 08-27-2003 12:40 PM

hold downs

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another

JPMacG 08-27-2003 02:58 PM

Midwest Products makes a nice hold down. Its a "U" shaped steel tube with a steel spike welded to the center of the U. It works well and holds up well but a little pricey (I paid around $20 I think). I think Tower carries them.

Here is a link:
http://www.midwestproducts.com/aero_mate.htm

Crash Master 08-27-2003 04:41 PM

Thanks for all the input guys.

Looks like I need to make a trip over to Lowes and check out the Hose hanger. I have seen these things on ebay, but nothing recently so I thought I would ask around here since everybody is so helpful. I was hoping that somebody here made the hinged ones - I like the idea of just backing the plane up and having it drop.

RCPat, I'm courious about hanging the plane from the tail. I have heard that you can wind up with all the gunk that accumlates in the muffler draining back into the motor.

Thanks again for all the suggestions,

RCPat 08-27-2003 09:53 PM

Tail hanging

Crash Master:

Anything that accumulates in the muffler will only run down to the front of the muffler as long as the plane is hung vertically.

I have been hanging my planes like this for quite awhile with no adverse conditions.

Happy Flying

Pat