RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Need a .25 glow ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11032423-need-25-glow-arf.html)

Roundout 04-07-2012 06:31 PM

Need a .25 glow ARF

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent .25 size glow ARF? I have acquired a new .25 OS AX that needs a home, but it seems that electrics have taken over most of the market in that particular size airframe. Are there any manufacturers out there that still offer .25 size glow ARFs? I'm really just looking for a fun sport plane.

I appreciate any help you all could give me.

Thanks in advance.
<br type="_moz" />

Gray Beard 04-07-2012 07:56 PM

RE: Need a .25 glow ARF

JUst a thought but try looking at House of Balsaa web site. I'm not sure if they have ARFs or not but they cut some really outstanding little kits for .25. Also try posting in the ARF forum.

52larry52 04-07-2012 08:38 PM

The Tower Hobby catalog shows several small ARFs for .25 glo engines. First is a Phoenix models "sonic". It's a low wing sport plane that looks like a small Goldberg Tiger copy. Great planes offers a 1/12th scale P-40 Warhawk, a 1/12th P-47 Thunderbolt, and a 1/12th Spitfire. Great Planes also offers a 1/12th P-51 Mustang and Corsair in thier "combat" series (I think the "combat" planes have no landing gear). Most of these are designed for glow or electric. If you want to try a kit build then Great Planes has a 56" wingspan Taylorcraft that takes a .25 2stroke.

52larry52 04-07-2012 10:07 PM

Roundout, I just went to the Tower Hobbies site to read more about the Phoenix Sonic that I sugested to you. There are two Phoenix planes calles the Sonic, a high wing and a low wing both having a 52" wingspan. The low wing has a semi-symmetrical wing and is the one that I think you may like. Check it out. $89.00 and "in stock".

Roundout 04-08-2012 04:54 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll check out the Sonic. Never built a Phoenix model; anyone know much them? Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I can try posting on the ARF page, as well.<div></div><div>Appreciate it!</div>

j.duncker 04-08-2012 08:48 AM

How about this for something different [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/sufa2539niga.html]pusher Bobcat jet[/link] only $55 too.

Gray Beard 04-08-2012 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Roundout

Thanks for the help. I'll check out the Sonic. Never built a Phoenix model; anyone know much them? Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I can try posting on the ARF page, as well.<div> </div><div>Appreciate it!</div>
Doesn't mater where you post something, posting in the ARF forum just may get you more replys with better answers. Tower used to sell a kit for a Taylor Craft .25 and I think {think is a big word I use a lot} that it went ARF too?? That was a great little plane!!

52larry52 04-08-2012 07:40 PM

That Great Planes 56" Taylorcraft is a kit only, no ARF, but probably an easy build and my be a good one for first time kit builders. Have you built one Gray Beard? I haven't but I almost purchased a completed one (with sevos and a .30 for stroke installed for $100) at the Perry swap meet this year. Spent my entire budget on a 1/4 scale cub instead. The T-craft made a very nice looking small scale model but I was going for "larger" this year. I should have bought both!!

Lowvoltage 04-09-2012 05:51 AM

Here is a link to an interesting thread to convert a biplane from electric power to glo power.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10797641/tm.htm

Rv7garage 04-09-2012 07:32 AM

I used to own a Herr "Little Extra" (sold by Sig). Was a great flyer with an OS .25 LA

*edit- looks like Sig no longer sells that one, sorree!

markhamregular 04-09-2012 09:01 AM

I have built 2 Phoenix models and they are great. Both of them had pre-hinged control surfaces including pins. The prices are great and they are easy to build. I just ordered the Sonic low wing model that's coming this Wednesday. I have a 46LA I was looking for a home, and I thinnk it will do great on the Sonic. I will keep you posted when I receive my model.

Harry

Roundout 04-09-2012 05:02 PM

Hey thanks for all of the great suggestions. I checked out the Bobcat. It looks like a mean little flyer for just 55 bucks, but I've not heard great things about Nitroplanes models. However, for the price and performance it might be tough to beat.<div></div><div>Also, thanks Markhamregular; good info about Phoenix models. Glad to hear that they're a quality company.</div><div></div><div>It does make me a little sad that electrics have almost completely taken over the smaller plane market. I think they're a great addition to the hobby, but I just don't prefer them. Perhaps it's simply what I'm used to, but I do enjoy tinkering with and flying my glow powered planes. Maybe it's the smell ;).</div><div></div><div>At any rate, I appreciate the help. Still thinking on it, so if you all have any more suggestions let me know. Thanks again. In case you all are interested, I'll let you know what I finally decide.</div>

ckreef 04-10-2012 05:11 PM

Not many ARF's purposely built for a .25 glow. Have you considered converting an electric to a glow engine ?? Lots of nice electric ARF's that would do good with a glow motor.

I am on my second electric to glow conversion. The 1st one was a nice open front end w/ a square fuselage. A very easy conversion. Put the fuel tank where the battery use to go. Install the Rx battery in the fuselage just behind the trailing edge and add an extra throttle servo. Now the 2nd conversion is a bit harder. A large round fuselage with inner square support frame makes the conversion much harder. I'm moving along with the project but it's taking a good bit of thinking and tweaking.

Either way a electric to glow conversion might be the way to get a dcecent plane sized for a .25 glow. A 56" wingspan Taylorcraft seems more sized for a .40 not a .25 unless your interested in a slow trainer performance style plane.

There is an electric to glow conversion forum on RCU you might want to check out.

Flyin Beagle 04-11-2012 06:28 AM

Nitroplanes has several planes in the .25 size although the bobcat looks pretty good to me. I have several planes from nitroplanes and have never had any problems. You should know what you are getting though. The instructions typically are not very good, but if you have ever assembled an ARF you should have no problem. I typically swap out the hardware for better quality Dubro stuff, but I like having all the same hardware on all my planes so if something does fail I can replace it very easily. 55.00 Bucks for a Fiberglass plane is a pretty great deal. Get a tuned pipe for that little .25 and you could have a real bad ***** speed demon. Or find a second .25 and build one of the twin engine transport planes.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/nitroplanes.html

markhamregular 04-11-2012 07:09 AM

I don't think that building 1 ARF prepares you for a Nitroplane.
Each plane is different, even after building 5 ARFs, I had nothing but trouble withe the 4 page instruction of Nitroplane.
And then, fiberglass is heavy. Based on my experience, I would rather spend the extra $40 and avoid potential problems.
That's my 2 cents.

</p>

j.duncker 04-11-2012 02:32 PM

I handled a maiden flight on the little Bobcat a couple of years ago and it flew well. OS 25 FX and an 8.8 pusher. It lands a little hot and might benefit from CROW but the owner had a basic tranny without that option. He managed OK on his own though.

Nice little model and I don't remember any vices. Looked good in the air on a flypast too!

Weasel Keeper 04-11-2012 03:00 PM

I have a Phoenix Sonic low wing and fly the snot out of it. Easy assembly, light, and tough. An OS .25fx flew it great, but a .32sx will take it up to a 100MPH. The thing handles wind well for it's size and lands like a trainer. The only thing i don't care for is the covering which is printed and akin to stick on shelf paper. Hard to beat for $80 bucks. I would also vote for the Great Planes T-Craft if you're up for a kit.

Gray Beard 04-11-2012 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 52larry52

That Great Planes 56'' Taylorcraft is a kit only, no ARF, but probably an easy build and my be a good one for first time kit builders. Have you built one Gray Beard? I haven't but I almost purchased a completed one (with sevos and a .30 for stroke installed for $100) at the Perry swap meet this year. Spent my entire budget on a 1/4 scale cub instead. The T-craft made a very nice looking small scale model but I was going for ''larger'' this year. I should have bought both!!
I never built that kit, not even for a customer and it was a very popular plane for a long time. I just thought I remembered seeing it in a tower catalog at some point as an ARF. I have built a couple of the HOB P-51 Mustangs. Those came in two sizes. The small one didn't have a lot of room to get your fingers into but both sizes were a hoot to fly. I also built the HOB Cub and originaly had a .049 in it, a lot of fun. The stab went north and the rest of the plane went south when I installed an OS .25. It says 1/2A and they mean it!!!!!!;)