RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   How Do You Debond CA Glue Is there a special trick? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11306243-how-do-you-debond-ca-glue-there-special-trick.html)

gregoryshock 11-22-2012 12:27 PM

How Do You Debond CA Glue Is there a special trick?

I have used CA debonder by Jet and Ihave used debonder by Mercury. But Ihaven't had much luck with these. I have found that if you are patent and use a lot! It will eventually work. But my biggest problem is the fact that it seems like one needs to use a lot when not that much comes in a bottle. Are there any alternatives to using the expensive Debonder or Any methods that are more Efficient?

Campy 11-22-2012 02:31 PM

RE: How Do You Debond CA Glue Is there a special trick?

All debonder is, is acetone. I buy it by the quart and fill an empty debonder bottle as needed.

gregoryshock 11-23-2012 07:20 AM

I have been using a Dubro Safety Lock Kwik Link on my elevator.  When I first bought one of these I thought it looked extra secure.  One day when we was adjusting it the pin and lock fell out!  It was then I realized that if ever the Brass plated steel lock were to ever vibrate loose from the pin.  Then it might be possible for the pin to work it's way out too.  Due to fear I choose to put a drop of CA on the brass plated steel lock.  I probably should have just glued in the pin.  Anyways now I am trying to remove it and can't seem to get the CA debonded enough.  Any suggestions?

Here is the product I am referring too
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXWH34&P=M

jaka 11-23-2012 10:22 AM

Hi!
Nitromethan is the best remover/disolver of Ca glue. Acetone is next best but much, much slower.

GREG DOE 11-23-2012 12:29 PM

I have to agree with Jan Karlsson. Nitro methane is one of the best de-bonders. I question Campy's statement that "all de-bonder has acetone in it"? It is generally not recommended to wash your hands in acetone, because it can be absorbed into the body through the skin. That having been said, I clean my hands regularly with it, and so far have not suffered any consequences. All finger nail polish remover has acetone in it, and we don't hear scare stories of women getting acetone poisoning! Nitro methane seems to be more friendly to the skin. Nitro methane can be purchased at speed shops. Some fuel manufacturers will sell it in small quantities, such as pints. If you have the luxury of time to soak items, like glue tips, acetone works well. If you are in a hurry nitro methane works much better. Good luck, Greg

gregoryshock 11-25-2012 02:18 PM

I know our fuel is bad for wood.  That is why we fuel proof.  I am curious wouldn't Nitro methane be bad for wood too?  Or is that just the oil in our fuel?

Gray Beard 11-25-2012 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: gregoryshock

I know our fuel is bad for wood. That is why we fuel proof. I am curious wouldn't Nitro methane be bad for wood too? Or is that just the oil in our fuel?

Oil, the rest of the fuel is just alcohol and Nitro. I haven't had problems with alcohol doing anything bad to the wood but I have never wasted nitro to test it. At one point in time I was able to buy small quanity bottles of nitro at Hobby Town once in a while. As a solvent the price would keep me from using it. I just use Acetone when I slop CA or epoxy onto a hinge. Don't know how long it would take to soften up older CA once it has set for a while. It may not work at all?
If the problem isn't close to the wood then I would give the fuel a try too. never used it as a debonder either.

GREG DOE 11-25-2012 07:11 PM

Nitro is used in some industrial applications as a thinner. The alcohol and nitro methane in our fuel will not hurt anything that it dosen't dissolve. The wood isn't bothered by any of the ingrediants in our fuel. The problem is the OIL in our fuel makes it nearly impossible to repair fuel soaked wood. Exposure to fuel will degrade glue joints too. Long term exposure to water will damage wood more then model airplane fuel. Greg