RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   elevator hinging (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11353633-elevator-hinging.html)

kaczonion 01-02-2013 09:43 AM

elevator hinging

I'm putting together an old kit I've had stashed in the attic for years, a 1/2 version of a dirty birdy, this one called a baby birdy and wondering what to hinge the elevator/rudder with. The kit had no hardware and the wood is only 3/32" thick. I painted the horizontal and vertical stab fearing that monokote would distort the thin wood. Tape hinge?

Steve Steinbring 01-02-2013 06:25 PM

RE: elevator hinging

You could use stitched hinges in a figure 8 pattern, be sure to round the stab and control surfaces where they meet to get full movement.

countilaw 01-02-2013 08:27 PM

CA hinges will work well. Get the medium and cut them in to two. Or just get the small size.

Frank

jester_s1 01-02-2013 09:05 PM

+1 on CA hinges. They will cost you no wood strength and there's nothing more permanent.

DIVERHERB 01-03-2013 07:06 AM

I used monokote hinges on a Pitts I built. It was just a test to see how they would work. Actually they held up very well and as a benifit there was no gap between either surface. Should work great when the material is very thin and it was very easy to do. After hinging I just finished covering the plane with the monokote. It turned out great, and was really simple.

kaczonion 01-03-2013 09:21 AM

thanks for the info. I thought about the CA hinges but I don't know if my great planes hinge cutter would cut a pocket in the thin wood without making a mess.

gene6029 01-03-2013 09:44 AM

I.m not so sure the GP hinge slotter is the tool for this job. Try useing an x acto blade & take your time. Or try the slotter first on a piece of scrap wood the same thickness.......Gene

jester_s1 01-03-2013 08:28 PM

I ground a hook blade for my xacto and it's perfect for CA hinges. It's actually not sharp anywhere since what you actually need is for it to dig out the wood, not cut it.

Gray Beard 01-03-2013 09:47 PM

I convert a lot of the little 1/2A kits to electric and for hinges I just use covering for hinges then cover over them. Works great. Better then trying to cut hinge slots in that very thin sheeting. I have one of the Ultimates I will be building real soon. Using covering hinges on a plans built plane right now that has too thin wood for normal CA hinges.

kaczonion 02-07-2013 09:41 AM

:eek: Well I tried the ca hinge method which worked ok until I got in a hurry and the last slot poked out the bottom using the hinge slotter. Some sanding and filling and I cleaned it up. In this case I should of used the monokote method. Thanks all for the hints.

BalsaBob 02-07-2013 10:27 AM

I have used pieces of Monokote Trim Sheet in the past with great results. I think the trim sheet is a bit thicker/stronger that regular Monokote ..... and it is self-adhesive.

Bob