RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Foam cutting wire (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11563335-foam-cutting-wire.html)

batdog 07-07-2013 09:27 AM

Foam cutting wire

Can someone tell me what wire size, type and where to buy it ? for a hot foam cutter that will last and give good results? Length os cutting are about 32 i

big max 1935 07-07-2013 11:04 AM

RE: Foam cutting wire

SIG has it. Max H.

jester_s1 07-07-2013 11:24 AM

I use 30lb steel fishing leader. It's cheap and works fine.

Propworn 07-07-2013 11:31 AM

Just about any stainless mig wire in the .020 to .025 will work. My bows have been strung for over 10 years now never had to change any. Use steel wool SOS works great to clean the wire every so often. Longest bow I have is an 8ft and the smallest is a vertical contraption so I can cut foam like you would with a bandsaw.

Dennis

batdog 07-07-2013 12:27 PM

Propworm. Lowes sells Mig Wire but does not say stainless. Will This Work? Thanks for your help

Propworn 07-07-2013 03:42 PM

I don't know all Ive ever used is stainless. This was on recomendation of a few full size home builders. Try a regular welding supplier.

Dennis

speedracerntrixie 07-07-2013 04:02 PM

I ordered Nichrome wire and it did not work with my particular power supply. I had some stainless safety wire and gave it a shot out of desperation and it worked great.

red head 07-07-2013 04:53 PM

If you don't need to much try going to your local airport and ask the mechanic if you can buy a couple feet of safety wire, he will probably give it to you, that is if you don't want a lot. ENJOY !!! RED

Gray Beard 07-07-2013 05:02 PM

Gene, goirish sent me one very outstanding foam cutter and included several different gauges of wire with it. He really builds a super cutter if you need one. He referred me to Bass Pro for my wire if I needed it, just stainless fishing leader and it's cheap. Comes in a lot of gauges and I haven't broken a wire yet. The auto feed cutter really cuts a nice wing and is easy to learn to use.

vertical grimmace 07-07-2013 08:44 PM

I use Control line wire. Either 012" or .018" . I mainly cut foam when flying CL combat so I needed a lot of wings and had a lot of CL wire! lol

RAMFlyer 07-08-2013 09:52 AM

I second the control line wire. Been using it for years with no problems. I also use stainless steel fishing leader wire but that can be hard to come by if you don't live close to salt water...

Propworn 07-08-2013 10:47 AM

Stranded wire I am told works I have tried it and don't care for it as it seems to be prone to buildup but any single strand stainless .020 to .030 works. If the wire is too small in diameter it’s harder to keep the tension on it so the wire stays straight while cutting without it breaking. Too thick and it takes too much current and is harder to get fine control. I use 1/4 piano wire as the ends of the bow and as the wire tensioner. Simple bows can be made by cutting a 36 inch piece of piano wire in half. On the end of each half grind a small groove 1/8 of an inch from one end. Use a length of wood dowel or square/rectangular stock and drill a hole in line at each end on a 15 to 20 degree outward facing slightly smaller than the 1/4 inch piano wire. Tap each piece of piano wire into the hole leaving the grooved end out. Wrap the wire and bind it by twisting the tag end around the main wire at one end. Pull the wire into the groove on the other end adding enough tension that the piano wire starts to straighten out then bind the second end. This will keep tension on the wire when it gets hot and also will take up any elongation of the wire which will help to keep your wire straight during the cut.

Dennis

at101 07-08-2013 11:27 AM

<div>Flite Test did a video on this</div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3CAtpvJJs

Gray Beard 07-09-2013 11:00 AM

After watching the video I was happy to discover I'm not the only one that has a hard time finding the foam in the size I need. {thickness} Living in Vegas I have to order a full 4X8 foot sheet if I want the good closed cell foam if I want anything thicker then 3/4 inch. Not a lot of call for insulating foam sheets at the local hardware store.
I also learned a few good tips on cutting. Thanks for posting it.