RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Yellow or Red (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11584921-yellow-red.html)

drube 08-13-2013 09:26 AM

Yellow or Red

Which color will be seen better in the sky, Yellow or Red?

learn2turn 08-13-2013 09:40 AM

It depends on what color the rest of the plane is.

If the rest of the plane is white then red.

If the rest of the plane is a dark color, then yellow.

If the plane is going to be almost all red or all yellow, then yellow with a dark trim will be easier to see. If it's going to be all or almost all red, then red with light trim will be easier to see.

Brighter/light colors tend to be preferred on the top.

Darker colors tend to be preferred on the bottom, at least for trim to improve visual acuity. A white bottom with black blocks on the bottom of the wing and tail with a colored top helps a lot.

drube 08-13-2013 09:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to choose between these two planes.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1907671http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1907672

learn2turn 08-13-2013 10:19 AM

If the bottom has white and black blocks, the yellow one will probably be easier to see orientation. But it won't make a huge difference. Pick the one you love.

drube 08-13-2013 10:42 AM

Yeah, the bottom of the red one has black and white stripes and the yellow one has blue and white stripes.

JCOKEEFE 08-13-2013 01:03 PM

Yellow.

scale only 4 me 08-13-2013 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by JCOKEEFE (Post 11589875)
Yellow.

yeap

drube 08-13-2013 02:01 PM

Thanks guys!

jetmech05 08-13-2013 04:49 PM

yellow

Charlie P. 08-13-2013 06:31 PM

Another vore for yellow.

A white bottom with black blocks on the bottom of the wing and tail with a colored top helps a lot.
Agree to that as well.

arfwrecker 08-13-2013 08:53 PM

yeller will look better in air redin on the ground

maukaonyx 08-14-2013 07:16 AM

My son has the red in 50cc size. Flies extremely well for pattern and IMAC style, and is highly visible in the sunny skies or more often grey skies we get here in OR. I think either one is going to be fine for visibility. Jon

lopflyers 08-14-2013 08:03 AM

Yellow, I have three yellow planes they are very visible in the sky

drube 08-14-2013 08:19 AM

Looks like yellow is a strong favorite. I always thought the sun would wash out the yellow but I guess not. I like them both.. This a hard decision!

cstevenpeterson 08-14-2013 08:31 AM

In case there is still any doubt - YELLOW!

Steve

drube 08-14-2013 09:23 AM

Thanks guys! I chose Yellow! lol

cstevenpeterson 08-14-2013 09:26 AM

Glad you finally made the right decision!:D

Steve

drube 08-14-2013 09:36 AM

Maybe i'll get the red one and make it a static display.lol :p

jester_s1 08-14-2013 02:49 PM

Going the somewhat scientific route, red starts looking like black or dark grey with some distance. I think it has to do with the shorter wavelength of the light wave not penetrating as well. Yellow, being a bit longer, penetrates better, and of course reflects more of the yellow sun light making it even brighter. The other issue is that your pupils adjust to the brightness of your general environment- the sky. If you took some black and white pictures, you'd find the red plane looks darker than the sky, while the yellow one looks lighter. So comparing the contrasts you'll actually see in flight, red will give you a grey on blue appearance that is darker than the sky around it, while yellow will give you a yellow on blue appearance that is lighter than the sky around it.The result of that brightness difference is all the details of the red plane are obscured because it appears to be in shadows, while the details of the yellow plane are clear because it looks illuminated. Of course, everyone's eyes are different, and there are probably a few pilots that find the yellow plane overwhelming or find that they can track the darker object better, but I think most of us see the yellow on blue contrast better than the red on blue.

drube 08-14-2013 03:08 PM

Thanks for that info!

Gray Beard 08-14-2013 06:37 PM

Also, I have no true color perception, that's the term the Army used instead of color blind. I can see a yellow plane in the air and as long as it has dark contrasting colors like stripes or bulls eyes on the bottom of the wing. I have a black and orange Extra with a big white stripe on the top of the wing. That plane would have been planted years ago if it wasn't for that white!!! Yellow is a great color.

drube 08-14-2013 06:43 PM

Hey GB, Has your eyes always been like that?

Gray Beard 08-14-2013 06:54 PM

Yes and I have a lot of traumatic stories from my early youth and up to the time of my 40s. I was a process printer doing a lot of four color work and had a lot of funny friends messing with me. Just to show people, I thought Danica Patrics car was yellow until my wife told me it was green. I only wear brown, black or white socks and I keep them separated. No problems with the white. Color blind people see colors but can really confuse them. I can pick out shade differences better then most people though, color matching, but two different colors can have the same shades. Your born color blind and it isn't found very often in females.

drube 08-14-2013 07:00 PM

I can just imagine the tricks your friends played on you. I'm sure TV is hard to watch too. PM me your address again, I have something I want to send you.

Alan

Gray Beard 08-14-2013 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by drube (Post 11591131)
I can just imagine the tricks your friends played on you. I'm sure TV is hard to watch too. PM me your address again, I have something I want to send you.

Alan

On TV just now a guy had on a flowered shirt, black with pink flowers? Maybe, who really cares? It's all normal to me.