RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Need a thingy to make plugging in my aileron and flap servos easyer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11589214-need-thingy-make-plugging-my-aileron-flap-servos-easyer.html)

Calvinman 10-31-2013 09:18 AM

Need a thingy to make plugging in my aileron and flap servos easyer

Hello,

I am just about done my UltraSport 40 and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I can easily plug the servo leads into my receiver before mounting the wing? I usually use extensions, but the leads reach the receiver easily and don't really want to clutter things up anymore than I have to.

I am using Futaba equipment if that makes any difference. Maybe I should just make some one or two inch extensions.

Thanks,
Calvi:)

scale only 4 me 10-31-2013 02:14 PM

or just extend the length of the serrvo leads and plug them in directly,, but extentions sure make things easier, not sure why you're shy about using them

RBACONS 10-31-2013 02:34 PM

You don't want to be plugging and unplugging directly into the receiver. Good way to knock some other connector loose or damage the pins in the receiver. I would either buy some 3" extensions for the receiver or, since your aileron servo leads are already long enough to reach, how about cutting them and inserting a set of Dean's connectors.

Gray Beard 10-31-2013 02:50 PM

I just make up 3 inch leads and leave them in my RX. If you want you can just remove the extra length from your servo leads and solder on new ends and make them the extensions you leave in the RX.

Jetdesign 10-31-2013 03:07 PM

Me too (3" extensions).

Calvinman 10-31-2013 04:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all the input, 3" extensions sound the easiest way to go. I agree it would not be good to plug and unplug directly into the receiver, especially when every slot is full. I am not familiar with deans connectors, I will google these right away.

Calvi

Gray Beard 10-31-2013 04:48 PM

Deans are a pain in the hinderpoo to plug and unplug plus they are big. You can buy good gold plated 3 inch extensions or just make up a couple from old extensions you have under the bench. The aileron extensions are the only extensions you will ever see in one of my planes. Because I'm really lazy and don't like pulling long extensions just to clean them every year I keep servo wire on hand then just cut and splice my servo wires to the length needed. No extension failures that way. I do use deans and the yellow type from hobby king on my electrics on the batteries, they are still a pain in the butt.

Calvinman 10-31-2013 05:08 PM

Hi Grey Beard, Yes I went with soldered connections in the wings also, as I know I would forget to plug and unplug the connections to clean them. maybe I will get creative and do something like the receiver switches that mount to the side with the charging jack mount, that way it can be done one handed when the wind wants to blow the wing and I need to use one hand to hold it and the other to connect the leads.

Calvi

rt3232 10-31-2013 05:35 PM

use a Q-tip and electrical contact gell then shrink rap never had a plug pair go bad in 30 plus years doing this. and if your are going to make extensions and solder make sure you clean those realy good or you can end up with the black wire problem.

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377

prop wash 10-31-2013 06:39 PM

In order to get the thingy to work right you need a watchamacallit and a gidgyflaper and all is well.:)
Just for fun.Tom

gjhinshaw 10-31-2013 07:49 PM

For plugging in Aileron and flap I use this.... http://www.giantmodelproducts.com/in...roducts_id=254

JohnBuckner 10-31-2013 08:08 PM

My SOP is to simply use stock 6 inch extensions at the Receiver and cut the aileron servo stock leads in half and solder in custom lengths of heavy servo wire . In this way the leads are cut for the most convienance when attaching/removing wing and there will be no extra extension plugs anywhere or excessive rats nests of wire.

John

gjhinshaw 10-31-2013 08:30 PM

I use to do that until I was told by Horizon that by doing that it voids the warranty.

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner (Post 11651808)
My SOP is to simply use stock 6 inch extensions at the Receiver and cut the aileron servo stock leads in half and solder in custom lengths of heavy servo wire . In this way the leads are cut for the most convienance when attaching/removing wing and there will be no extra extension plugs anywhere or excessive rats nests of wire.

John

byrne1157 10-31-2013 08:36 PM

Or, you could try using a canooter valve...lol But all jokes aside, you could visit your local electronics supplier and purcase a 6-lead ribbon cable and plug set, Solder the servo plugs on the receiver end, and solder the servo wires to the other side. One plug, Six leads. Nice and neat.;)

JohnBuckner 10-31-2013 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by gjhinshaw (Post 11651815)
I use to do that until I was told by Horizon that by doing that it voids the warranty.

Then perhaps all the more reason to reconsider where you purchase your servos from. That has most certainly never been an issue with Hitec but of course they have been an industry leader in customer service for quite a few years now. Of course only just my opinion.

If one bothers to learn some simple soldering techniques making up custom harness is far better way to go than stacking up extension on extension that so many do.

John

rt3232 11-01-2013 04:16 AM

Of corse you could learn to use simple crimping tools (custom electronics) then all you do is clip and crimp> but there is a learning curve to get them right and dowe in a timely manner

sorry about the caps d$%^m key board

cheers bob t
ama13377

Muttdog 11-01-2013 04:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I just used these on my new 35% H9 QQ Yak. They work great and no more of those little plastic retainers that I can never seem to release with my fat fingers

kwblake 11-01-2013 04:47 AM

Hey Calvin. I was going to post some photos of what I used, but Muttdog kind of beat me to it. Here is a link to a company in Ontario, that has multiple servo plugs. They also have a built in lock. I used one of their 12 pin plugs on my Stick, 4 servos in the wing. You need to get a set of the crimping pliers,some male and female pins, the plugs and some bulk servo wire. But once this is done, it is a nice clean setup. http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...ex&cPath=82_83

Muttdog 11-01-2013 05:10 AM

Guys, I looked at Thunderbolt RC as well as Hansen hobbies here Stateside. In the end I found it cheaper to just get the connectors and terminals from Digikey. Molex makes those terminals from 2 place all the way to 12 place so they have all bases covered.

Calvinman 11-01-2013 05:47 AM

Nice setup Muttdog and Kevin,

I like it, one plug and I'm screwing on my wing sweet.:cool:

Calvi

erbroens 11-01-2013 06:18 AM

http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/ka...satz/start.php

In my opinion, the best available.. (I prefer the #1128). very reasonable priced too.

Calvinman 11-01-2013 07:54 AM

Ooh Nice!

Next plane I will go with an all in one connector for sure, but my Ultra will be ready to roll after the weekend and weather permitting I will maiden her. I picked up three 4" extensions and I will box in the ends so it will be a one handed operation to plug them in.
I need to add one to two ounces of lead to the tail(depending on how much the plastic spinner reduces the nose weight as compared to the aluminum I now have on it). Then I need to remove my fuse servos so I can mount the receiver battery as far back as possible.
While I am doing that I will figure out why my servo arm to servo output shaft is giving me 1/4" of free play at the rudder(I got a great deal on some "genuine" futaba servos on the net, threw them all out, but forgot to turf the servo arms, so I will have to go through my collection and throw out the bad ones.
Thunderbird 2 rocks, someone needs to make an rc version:)

Calvi

kwblake 11-01-2013 07:57 AM

Hey Calvin. One other thing, Thunderbolt also has servo plugs and pins. I did one order and got everything I needed, so now I can just make up my own servo extensions. I did what John Buckner mentioned earlier. Cut the wires from my Aileron and Flap servos, extended them, and did a solder joint to go in the wing. Then ran the wires out to the plug, and put the pins and plug on. Also made the harness to the Rx from scratch. A bit of an investment to start, but once you have everything........ You might find time to do this in the 6 months of our wonderful Manitoba winter.

Calvinman 11-01-2013 08:03 AM

Hi Kevin, Yes, maybe, but there are so many other airplanes that need to be built this winter:o I am going to scratch build a plane from some RCM plans I found down by my boiler it is called a C.A.T(canard assisted tail-less) and if there is time finish my second Ultra Sport I cloned from the Kit I picked up at our LHS when they brought it back out!

wingspar 11-01-2013 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with Kevin that these connectors from Thunderbolt RC work great!.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1935581