RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Is Tower Hobbies falsely advertising? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11601235-tower-hobbies-falsely-advertising.html)

mrdhud 07-10-2014 09:02 PM

Is Tower Hobbies falsely advertising?

I decided to order the Great planes Waco YMF arf from Tower Hobbies they are advertising free shipping

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAAVT&P=0

and with my discount the price came to 480.00 or so I thought. When I went to order it on line the shipping cost came to $77.80 is there something wrong with this or is I just me if the shipping cost is not free then don’t advertise it to be free. I’d like to hear your thoughts.

bikerbc 07-10-2014 10:55 PM

I have not seen the add but usually somewhere there is something about oversize items being excluded from the free shipping .. I got caught on that once and was a little disappointed until I went back and reread the add . I could be wrong but go back and have a look .. They are pretty careful not to advertise falsely ..

ira d 07-11-2014 12:17 AM

I looked at the add but did not see free shipping, Did they advertise free shipping elsewhere on their site if you spent over a certain amount?

mrdhud 07-11-2014 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by bikerbc (Post 11839389)
I have not seen the add but usually somewhere there is something about oversize items being excluded from the free shipping .. I got caught on that once and was a little disappointed until I went back and reread the add . I could be wrong but go back and have a look .. They are pretty careful not to advertise falsely ..

bikerbc
You're probably correct somewhere in this large website there's probably something that addresses this topic although I could not find it. I also realize now that you have to be signed in in order to see the free shipping add.I will try and take a picture of what I see and post it. I'm sure by law this is not false advertising but at least miss leading in my opinion.

JohnBuckner 07-11-2014 05:26 AM

I beleve you jumped the gun on this one and the the title of your thread is unfair to the one of the best if not always the cheapest retailer in the business.

I went to your link for for that airplane and pressed the checkout button. On the next page it stated in bright red print that US ground shipping was free for members of their club thingie. These promos show on these checkout forms as you proceed.

John

Mikester 07-11-2014 05:30 AM

Their ad shows that the base standard shipping charge of $9.99 will be waived. My guess is that this ARF is an oversize box and won't ship with standard rates. Why don't you give Tower a call instead of accusing them of false advertising ?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/ssc.html

jetmech05 07-11-2014 06:01 AM

I agree call them....I've always found who ever answered the phone very nice and knowledgable

Charlie P. 07-11-2014 06:56 AM

I click on the item and it shows free shipping - but then I am in the "Super Savers Club".

Pays for itself in my experience.

r_adical 07-11-2014 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie P. (Post 11839547)
I click on the item and it shows free shipping - but then I am in the "Super Savers Club".

This should only be the place to air grievances after you have exhausted all options with the Vendor.

Tower has always been reasonable and spending the 9.99 a year to save 15% off all of their prices is small money in my opinion. My closest hobby store is about 80 miles away so I depend on Tower and Horizon,( I wish Horizon would do this) for almost everything

Charlie P. 07-11-2014 07:34 AM

They also had a free standard shipping offer over the past weekend through August on orders over $99 for everyone.

See below.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/promos/e...-0815-dom.html

Mr Dhud - What shipping service/method did you originally ask for?

raptureboy 07-11-2014 07:37 AM

I agree, I have had nothing but stellar service from them and a phone call should be the first step before jumping on a forum and starting a fire. Unfortunately I am finding more and more that people want to come out guns blazing over the slightest issue without asking questions first.

mocgp 07-11-2014 07:42 AM

I had a $20 off coupon from an email ad but, as in other posts here, the discount did not show up until I was well into the checkout process. I called (not about the discount) to ask another question about the order and they were extremely helpful.

black dog 07-11-2014 07:47 AM

free shipping is for members that buy over 100.00 but they do have free shipping ads. with codes.go to omnimodels they have free shipping any thing over 100.00 for ever body call tower they will work with you

strtnlevel 07-11-2014 07:51 AM

I usually do not like to get involved in other's disputes, but, when I came across this post I just had to respond. I've been a Tower customer for more than 20 years and I have never experienced anything but superior and, sometimes, "over the top" customer service. Yes, I have had issues with products occasionally, but, their response has always been fair, considerate and prompt in every instance.
I would strongly suggest you call them to sample some of what I am talking about.

NCRC 07-11-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie P. (Post 11839547)

+1 on "Super Savers Club"
I just ordered the TF giant P-51 (kit) and got $35 off promotional + waived the shipping.
ordered on the 8th and it will be here today.

Tony Iannucelli 07-11-2014 09:59 AM

The club is $9.99 a year. With all the perks, including an extra $5 added to every coupon on each transaction, you can't miss. I've had some huge boxes delivered here. Always free shipping. Tower is the absolute best out there. A close tie with Horizon and several others.

rgburrill 07-11-2014 10:11 AM

On the main page even for people not logged in there is a big banner that says Members Only Free Shipping and a button that say MORE INFO. Lo and behold if you follow the button it says "The base standard shipping charge ($9.99) is waived on all purchases of $99 or more". Yes, even on this "large website" some things are easy to find if you follow directions.

funnotcrazy 07-11-2014 01:10 PM

+1 what all the guys say above. Just give them a call as I have always received courteous prompt help on the phone.

mrdhud 07-11-2014 01:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Posting the question (Is Tower Hobbies falsely advertising?) is not accusing them of doing so. I too have been a long time customer with good service for years but I do question this type of advertising. For those that didn't see it here it is on two pages. I guess I was naive thinking I was going to get this airplane shipped free. I see now by the response that this is acceptable way of advertising and I have to suck it up and get over it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2013463http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2013464

NCRC 07-11-2014 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went to Tower and and it didn't say "free shipping" until i added it to my cart, weird.

Granpooba 07-11-2014 02:29 PM

Personally now !! I have found with ordering from Tower Hobbies that a lot of your discounts or promotions do not show up until you reach the " Check Out " page and total your order. Some people get upset when they do not see an instant discount, but you need to proceed further to the Check Out page.

Don't feel alone, I've done the same thing ............... LOL .................. :rolleyes:

JohnBuckner 07-11-2014 02:38 PM

Works fine for me if I really wanted the airplane free shipping just as it did earlier, all you have to do is enter it into your shopping cart and works just the same as it always had and I am not even a member of their club thingie.

Dude at the rate we are loosing good retailers in this failing economy You need to get on the phone and call before you start trashing 'em on here.

John

Granpooba 07-11-2014 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by NCRC (Post 11839820)
I went to Tower and and it didn't say "free shipping" until i added it to my cart, weird.

Exactly as I previously stated, you need to reach the Check Out page to see your total. Happens most of the time when Tower is offering something for free or a promotion.

mrdhud 07-11-2014 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Granpooba (Post 11839842)
Exactly as I previously stated, you need to reach the Check Out page to see your total. Happens most of the time when Tower is offering something for free or a promotion.

Guys I did go to the check out page that's when I released I would have to pay the shipping charge. Can no one see by the pictures I posted that one may think you would get free shipping? This is not one guy trying to trash any one and I did contact Tower about this and they responded that the free shipping was only for the 9.99 and I would have to pay the 77.80 charge. I guess it comes down to what your definition of free shipping is.

mattnew 07-11-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrdhud (Post 11839865)
Guys I did go to the check out page that's when I released I would have to pay the shipping charge. Can no one see by the pictures I posted that one may think you would get free shipping? This is not one guy trying to trash any one and I did contact Tower about this and they responded that the free shipping was only for the 9.99 and I would have to pay the 77.80 charge. I guess it comes down to what your definition of free shipping is.

If you had picked the default shipping which usually gets to your house in under a week, you would have had free shipping. going by the shipping calculator it looks like you picked the 2-day express shipping to Bartow Florida. I don't think anybody expects the express shipping to be free and in fact it does state in the ad that it is "free domestic ground shipping", or the cheap one...

I don't think its false advertising..

from when I click on "details" next to the free shipping link"

Applies only to our domestic standard ground shipping. All other shipping methods are reduced by the amount equal to our standard shipping charge. Express, surcharge and international charges still apply.