RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   First Model With Flaps and Retracts. Which Channels should they be put on? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11612219-first-model-flaps-retracts-channels-should-they-put.html)

gregoryshock 01-20-2015 08:12 AM

First Model With Flaps and Retracts. Which Channels should they be put on?

I have a six channel radio. My model has retracts and flaps. This means I have only got two extra channels to run these two things off of. It is a Standard 72 Mhz FM. From my understanding the up and down switch is used for the retracts and the auxiliary nob is for the flaps. I think the reason for this is because the retracts can only be either up or down, where as the flaps can be gradually lowered at any speed the pilot so desires. However it seems that the directions to the kit (f4u corsair gold edition by top flite) suggests putting the flaps on a two way switch. Their idea is that this way you always know what position your flaps are in. Which way should I put these?

* The problem I currently have with the auxiliary nob is the servo travel. When the nob is at the halfway point the flaps are up. When the nob is turned all the way down the flaps are down. The problem is when I'm flying there will be know way for me to tell when the flaps are all the way up and not grinding the servos.

RBACONS 01-20-2015 09:25 AM

Best advice would require knowing what specific make/model radio you have and what type of retracts you have (i.e., servo driven, electric, pneumatic). For lack of any other information, if you indeed only have 1 switch and 1 knob available, it would be normal to put the retracts on the switch and the flaps on a knob. Depending on your radio, it may be possible to electronically program the knob to adjust the throws so that all the way in one direction is flaps up and all the way in the other direction is flaps down. Be aware that deploying flaps can cause a large pitch change on some models so it is usual to electronically mix in some elevator compensation with down flaps.

gregoryshock 01-22-2015 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by RBACONS (Post 11965434)
Best advice would require knowing what specific make/model radio you have and what type of retracts you have (i.e., servo driven, electric, pneumatic). For lack of any other information, if you indeed only have 1 switch and 1 knob available, it would be normal to put the retracts on the switch and the flaps on a knob. Depending on your radio, it may be possible to electronically program the knob to adjust the throws so that all the way in one direction is flaps up and all the way in the other direction is flaps down. Be aware that deploying flaps can cause a large pitch change on some models so it is usual to electronically mix in some elevator compensation with down flaps.

I'm currently using a Hitec Laser 6. http://hitecrcd.com/products/aircraf...-radio/product

If I were to change to a different radio system what would you recommend?
*I like radios that allow you to change the tention on the sticks without the need of changing the springs.

AMA 74894 01-22-2015 01:34 PM

if you were to change to a different brand radio, I would recommend:
1) the brand you're most comfortable with
2) the brand most widely used at your club (for purposes of buddy boxing and general knowledge... if you're the only guy at the field with a hitec radio, then no one can offer any assistance should you need)
other than those 2, I wouldn't change. Hitec makes some great radios, no need to fix what isn't broken. ;)

for your original question, I have looked over the manual for the laser 6... I'd highly recommend a newer radio :) according to the manual, you get what you get with the flap knob, there is no servo travel adjustment or endpoint adjustment on any of the aux channels (5 or 6)

JohnBuckner 01-22-2015 04:49 PM

gregoryshock not sure if the link you provided is a mistake or not, That version that you linked is a 75 Mhz version and therefore not legal to use in any airplane. 75 MHz is only for ground vehicles cars, boats etc. For an airplane the system must be on the 72 MHz band.

If it was just a mistake and what you have is a 72 version then yes you need to use the rotary pot for the flaps and the end point adjustment for the full extension is via the micro pot on the right side of the row of adjustment pots directly on the face of the transmitter. It is marked flps. The up adjustment would be via the mechanical linkage.

John

Gray Beard 01-22-2015 11:28 PM

This is just off the top of my head so don't hold me to it but my Hitec 7 was the LG on 5 and a knob for flaps. I would have to read the instructions again to be sure.

gregoryshock 01-23-2015 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner (Post 11967104)
gregoryshock not sure if the link you provided is a mistake or not, That version that you linked is a 75 Mhz version and therefore not legal to use in any airplane. 75 MHz is only for ground vehicles cars, boats etc. For an airplane the system must be on the 72 MHz band.

If it was just a mistake and what you have is a 72 version then yes you need to use the rotary pot for the flaps and the end point adjustment for the full extension is via the micro pot on the right side of the row of adjustment pots directly on the face of the transmitter. It is marked flps. The up adjustment would be via the mechanical linkage.

John

Thank you for catching the link error. I fixed it.