RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   RC Engine Starting Stand (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11613137-rc-engine-starting-stand.html)

R Verbael 02-09-2015 10:49 AM

RC Engine Starting Stand

This not a new topic, but I would like to get hold of the specs and dimensions for the starting stand that has been made popular all over the country. It is formed of 2 x4 wood, with wood planking to serve as a deck.

Would appreciate getting the specs on this stand.

Thanks

Russ Verbael :D

Villa 02-09-2015 11:44 AM

Hi R Verbael
I believe I posted the specs about 10 years ago. You can search this site using my sign in name. I call it Engine Starting Safety Stand. It is made from treated lumber and includes wheels on the front posts. There was an earlier design that was published in our RC magazine. My club built 6 stands to that earlier design, and they all started to fall apart after a few years. So I made an engineering study of the stand, redesigned it, and posted the design here.

R Verbael 02-09-2015 05:37 PM

I'm afraid that I do not know how to do a site search. Dimensions would help me get started if there is no way to do the search.

aspeed 02-09-2015 07:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It may be this one. I made one like this in the summer. I made the posts a bit closer together because I don't fly really big planes, and some would go right through. I went a bit higher too, cause I am tall. Villa if that is your plan, Thanx, it went pretty easy. I bolted my engine test stand on it too, and can pretty much leave it there with a plane on the stand.

R Verbael 02-10-2015 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by aspeed (Post 11980107)
It may be this one. I made one like this in the summer. I made the posts a bit closer together because I don't fly really big planes, and some would go right through. I went a bit higher too, cause I am tall. Villa if that is your plan, Thanx, it went pretty easy. I bolted my engine test stand on it too, and can pretty much leave it there with a plane on the stand.

We have about a dozen of this design here in Yuma, but the summer heat is VERY hard on the wood, so we are toying with doing essentially the same design out of thin-wall square tubing with wooden planking for the deck. I will post a picture of the completed metal framed unit when it is done.

Thanks for the drawings.

Villa 02-10-2015 11:30 AM

Hi aspeed
That is my design. Thanks for posting it. Takes me back many years. I had a lot of fun developing that design. I tried to give the original club credit for their design, but I could not convince them to improve the design. Oh well, life moves on.

aspeed 02-12-2015 08:12 PM

I was using a sheet metal table for my test stand for years, and a .32 motor pulled it over. I thought maybe a new table was needed. I liked the metal because I could leave it outside. I came across the plans somewhere, and had some pressure treated wood around. It looked pretty solid. I thought it was worth a try. I can put my fuselage on it to test too. I drilled a hole in the back and put a sling on for the tail. Then the wing doesn't need to be on. I have seen other stands with two posts holding the stab, but think that is a weak spot. Easier to build I guess.

ETpilot 02-13-2015 04:59 AM

I have a grass runway at home. I found plans and pictures of engine starting stands. I wanted to make the full size stand. Working on the plane at the shop, I decided I needed a stand to hold it safely. I made a mini starting/work table. Worked real good. Then I thought I could put the stand on my small trailer and tow it to the runway. So that is what I do. I load the stand, setup the plane on stand, load the RC gear and tow to runway. With stand on trailer airplane is at waist height. Ive tested for roll over but not a problem. Still best to tie stand down. I've only used this setup a couple of times. So far works good.