RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   canister muffler for twin cylinder engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11616029-canister-muffler-twin-cylinder-engines.html)

Rick-p 04-15-2015 06:45 AM

canister muffler for twin cylinder engines

I was told yesterday by someone from J-Tech that twin cylinder engines do not run correctly when connecting twin headers to a single internal canister muffler. Something about collision of the two exhaust streams causing exhaust gas to"back up". Is this the case? If it is, I'll abandon this idea and fall back to the Pitts mufflers. Rick

BarracudaHockey 04-15-2015 12:31 PM

JTech makes mufflers for a living, they are the first call I make when I need something along those lines.

Instead of taking your money and making something you won't be happy with, they gave you their best advice. Mine would be to listen to them. Chances are you're not reinventing the wheel and they have tested it extensively if they told you they don't do it.

jetmech05 04-16-2015 01:54 AM

The guy that does pro flow cans is knowledgable call them for a second opinion.
A friend of mine is running a 4 cylinder 200 CC he has his left side exhaust front and rear cylinders plumbed together the same with his right side no problems. I'm no expert but it seems to me that as long as one exhaust valve is closed as the other is open you'd be ok

BarracudaHockey 04-16-2015 04:26 AM

Dave Sullivan

Yes, he's quite the engine dude too. Our engines don't have valves though :)

Rick-p 04-16-2015 09:31 AM

I just talked with Dave Sullivan at pro flo, he has the cans and mounts for my applications. Now the only thing is the headers - Anyone have any ideas where I can get these? Rick

Pylonracr 04-16-2015 07:44 PM

Try Dave at Macs. If he doesn't have them he can probably make them for you

jetmech05 04-17-2015 03:42 AM

True we don't have valves, port open vs port closed

jester_s1 04-18-2015 06:41 AM

2 stroke engines are pretty sensitive to their exhausts. The timing of those pressure pulses through the header has a big impact on the power they make. So I could see connecting multiple cylinders with the headers as short as they are with our engines causing problems in that critical area.

speedracerntrixie 04-18-2015 08:39 AM

I have seen many of the 4 cylinder engines running on a couple 2 into 1 headers and 2 canisters and it seemed to work fine. I fly with Dave Sullivan on a regular basis and IMO if he says it can be done then I would trust him. Not only has he advised me on our big gassers from time to time but he has also helped me out tuning the YS 4 strokes. Dave is an engine guy no matter what the engine is. I have nothing nice to say about Jtec so I will let them alone.

Rick-p 04-21-2015 08:59 AM

Revver - I don't know Dave or Macs. Could you provide me some more info - like a phone #, address and company name?
Thanks, Rick

Rick-p 04-21-2015 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pylonracr (Post 12023760)
Try Dave at Macs. If he doesn't have them he can probably make them for you

Revver - I don't know Dave or Macs. Could you provide me some more info - like a phone #, address and company name? Does he make the "Y" connectors as well as headers?
Thanks, Rick

Rick-p 04-21-2015 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12024573)
I have seen many of the 4 cylinder engines running on a couple 2 into 1 headers and 2 canisters and it seemed to work fine. I fly with Dave Sullivan on a regular basis and IMO if he says it can be done then I would trust him. Not only has he advised me on our big gassers from time to time but he has also helped me out tuning the YS 4 strokes. Dave is an engine guy no matter what the engine is. I have nothing nice to say about Jtec so I will let them alone.

The "Y" connectors have me puzzled right now - can't find them or anyone who can make them. You are right about Dave Sullivan! had my canisters here in 2 days and they are beautiful!!! Rick

Pylonracr 04-21-2015 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rick-p (Post 12026393)
Revver - I don't know Dave or Macs. Could you provide me some more info - like a phone #, address and company name?
Thanks, Rick

Sorry, I guess I was kind of vague. Macs is Macs Products, maker of many tuned pipes and headers. http://www.macspro.com/ This link will get you to their web site. They have a section on headers, but if they do not have one to fit your engine call and talk to Dave. He will help you out.

Scott