RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Brand new to gas. DLE 30... Break-in clarification?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11618325-brand-new-gas-dle-30-break-clarification.html)

Neb_16 06-12-2015 12:36 PM

Brand new to gas. DLE 30... Break-in clarification??

Hi guys,
I am brand new to gasoline engines (have flown nitro) and was hoping someone could give me some clarification or point me in the direction of of a good resource.
After doing quite a bit of research on the DLE 30 break in procedure, it seems like everyone says something different. Some say to break in on the ground, some say in the air? Some say vary the throttle, others say hold at half throttle, full throttle, etc. There seems to be a consensus on the break in period generally requiring 3-5 gallons.

So my question is... what exactly do I do for those 3 to 5 gallons? The manual seems kind of sparse here... I figured i'd do the first run on the ground to get the needles set properly, but what next?? Run more on the ground? "baby" it in the air until 3+ gallons are through? Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciate.

speedracerntrixie 06-12-2015 02:23 PM

Run it just enough on the ground to set the needles for clean transition. Keep it just a touch rich and go fly as normal.

Steve Percifield 06-12-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12054169)
Run it just enough on the ground to set the needles for clean transition. Keep it just a touch rich and go fly as normal.

exactly

jester_s1 06-12-2015 08:55 PM

Don't most manufacturers recommend going a step up in oil content and only using natural oil during break in? Then the pilot can switch to synthetic at the recommended mixture if he wants to. As I understand it, the natural oil will dissipate heat faster and let the ring seat faster due to not being as good a lubricant.

BarracudaHockey 06-13-2015 03:14 AM

+1 And I see a lot more new engines a year than most folks.

Run whatever oil you're going to run it on.

Neb_16 06-13-2015 07:23 AM

Sounds great, thanks so much guys. I plan on using 32:1 lawnboy ashless... if it runs fine with that mixture during break in, will probably just stick with that. That seems like a lot of oil to me though... No issues with plug fouling, etc at that mixture?

daveopam 06-13-2015 09:34 AM

Never had the plug foul. It will spit little black dots all over the bottom of the plane and make a mess. After the first gallon, I lean the mixture down to normal and switch to 40:1 Stihl Ultra (in the gray bottle).
As far as how to fly it. Just fly it as normal. If you do some extreme stuff like prolonged hovering or wide open all the time. You might ease into that. But for the average pilot. Just get it close and fly it.

David

Gray Beard 06-13-2015 11:33 AM

This. Why burn all that gas on the ground?? As everything wears in the tune will start to change a little at a time.

jetmech05 06-16-2015 06:09 AM

Mount the engine use synthetic oil at 40:1 go fly. It will take a bit longer to break in but it doesn't hurt anything